Random Football thoughts

Viewing 5 reply threads

utahby05
      Ute Fan
      @utahby05

1) preseason Expectations for the Offense : Given the number of returning & experienced Offensive players, I was confident we would average 30 + points a game. Obviously, this has not happened and is really dissappointing. 

I’m still optimistic about the future of the offense. The O-Line, where it all starts, does a nice job with run blocking. Pass Pro, definitely needs to improve. Additionally, we’ve got playmakers at RB, WR, & TE. We definitely need better QB play. One of the worst things to have happened this year (football related), is the injury to Cam Rising. He could have really benefitted by getting to play 4 -5 games. Jake Bentley has improved from game to game and hopefully that will continue. Also, hopefully Peter Costelli, will officially sign with Utah and be as good as advertised. Sounds like an excellent, dual threat QB.

2) preseason Expectations for the Defense : Given that the defense, was essentially being overhauled – I had low expectations for the D. But, glad to say, the Defense has exceeded my expectations. The super young secondary has held up well. LB play has been good. And, it looks like Utah will be signing some excellent linebacker recruits. <Fingers crossed, those that have verbally committed, actually sign.> The D-Line is always good and seems to be able to reload. 

To me, the biggest need on defense right now, is a great rush end. Mika Tafua is good. But, who else on the current team can be a great rush end?  Perhaps Van Fillinger, or some one else. All I know is, we need to consistently be able to pressure and (occasionally) sack the opposing QB. 

3) Quick special teams mention : It is So Nice to have Covey back. So quick, fast, shifty…  He’s a unique, special talent ! 

Thoughts ??  

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Tafua is not a good pass rusher. Don’t take my word for it, look at his stats and player ratings.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Injury moving Ford to center has been a big hit.  The young RT playing in Fords spot has struggled and I believe Ford is still getting up to speed on calling pass protections.  Example of this was Oregon State was doing a great job with the delayed twist stunt last night and that is the centers call.  Pass Pro is where experience working as a unit is critical and with the lack of practice, clear Covid disruptions, and overall youth it is going to be a work in progress and we have witnessed weekly improvement.

The emergence of Jordan as RB1 will help the pass game demanding a loaded box, frankly it already has.  If Bentley can develop some vision and confidence the throw game could return to last seasons efficiency.  

Fillinger and Carlson are the future at rush end but Washington abused them because they are still a little light. The lack of concerted off season training and Spring and abreviated fall camp likely contributed.  If they get a regular off season next year could be great.  Mika is a great anchor end who sets edges and plays the run very well, always has been, but he isn’t going to be Orchard or Anae.

I for one am excited for the future, this team is learing to win.  The pattern has been a lul of inexperience and then two seasons of championship level play.  We got our lul in a exhabition season which I am thankful for. 

1 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I think the offensive line,while improving is still not good, particularly in short yardage situations

9 2

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

At this point, chinngyakahann, why even be a fan anymore? You don’t appreciate anything those players have been through this year and you only have negative things to say about them and everyone else. It must suck to have that constant line of thinking.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

It must suck even worse to be as bad as you are at reading comprehension. I’ve had plenty of positive things to say. I’m just being real.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Not really, I think we see a line that needed to improve from last year, several new freshmen added in, no spring practice, covid, strange fall, 10 days in quarantine, all stunting growth.  I think teams with OL in the program longer have an advantage.  DLs will have an advantage if everyone gets less practice.  The chance to move forward from last year has been small.

Northendzone Ute5
      Ute Fan
      @northendzoneute5

Even Whittingham admitted there could be more imagination on play calls. O-line right now not good enough to go 4 times in a row up the middle. Think they will get better push in the future but need experience working together.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Has Harding ever recruited a Center? Or like the old LB Coach just moved people to the position?

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Orlando Umana started every game last year at center and was the starter the year before. He played the first game this year, but not the last two. Must be a none season ending injury or Covid.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

You don’t “recruit” a center.  You build one out of a guard with the best hands, intellect, and solid athletic ability. Almost every hs o-line recruit played on the outside in hs because they were the best lineman on their team.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Random Football thoughts