So is the Gary Anderson thing happening?

Viewing 13 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia
      7 1

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

I love it. I don’t know what happened with Gary at OSU but I’ve always wanted him back at Utah in some capacity. Would love to see him have success again,  and possibly even replace KW one day. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Glad to have him back (if it happens)! Not so sure about becoming Utah HC after his OSU meltdown.

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

Agreed. That was a strange situation. More information will emerge in time I’m sure, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he was completely miserable there.

We know he is a good coach based on his success at Utah State and Wisconsin. I think he would do well at Utah. He knows the school, culture, and has always loved it here. 

Virginia Ute
      Ute Fan
      @virginiaute

Exciting.  He’s a great assistant.  

3 3

User Suspended
      @a2ute

rehired as the DC would be perfect. The DC position needs a big upgrade.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Then you’d have a BJ situation on your hands, so to speak. 

gUrthBrooks
          Ute Fan
          @hammer

We all dissolve into immature laughter.

3 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

A friend of mine not named Onlyu says yes. Not sure how accurate his source is. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Not a fan he sounds like he is bat s**t crazy. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Personally Would rather see Gionni Paul.

Dave Aranda was the DC at USU, and moved to Wisconsin with GA. He stayed at Wisconsin after GA left, and is now the DC at LSU. Aranda has fielded a top 15 defense every year. However GA gets credit for being a good defensive minded coach, but how did OSU do defensively under GA?

1 1

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

You would rather have someone with ZERO coaching experience over someone who has a ton of experience including many successful years both with our program as well as with two other programs?

Sounds reasonable.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I think his Paul comment was mostly TIC. I agree though I think GA’s resume is suspect at best. 

1 1

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

It’s a 5th assistant coach… they had Brian Johnson as the OC with zero coaching experience. Why not Paul as a LB’s coach?

2 1

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Last time Utah lost to BYU in back to back seasons guess who was the DC??? Pass. One phenomenal season in ’08 doesn’t make a great defensive coach.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

BOOM Mic drop. Awful prevent defense. 

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Last time we lost to BYU in back to back seasons guess who was the HC??? Does that mean we should fire Whittingham? 

This is probably the most asinine argument against a coach I have ever heard. Two losses to BYU doesn’t make a bad defensive coach.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Isn’t he an awesome recruiter? 

1 2

HoosierUte
      Ute Fan
      @hoosierute

Not a fan.  IMO GA has done nothing but tarnish his resume at every stop since leaving USU.  Wisc had 9/10 wins with him at the helm, but that is what they do up there. Those seasons are completely average Wiscy seasons.  Leaving so soon is a red flag, and doing it twice? This time leaving his team mid-season in such a public flame out.  I’m not a fan.  

Also watching The Drive a couple years ago when it showcased OSU and Utah only made me like him less.  He just seems off, I can’t really put my finger on it.  

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Fingers crossed honestly.  His reputation has taken a hit and he needs to prove himself again if he wants to be a head guy EVER again but is a quality coach.  No better place than at a P5 school, under one of your mentors IMO.

Not many coaches who know more about the current state of tendencies and scheme’s in the PAC12 out there to bring in either so I think he could be a huge asset to Morgan if that’s how this goes down.  I think they’d work well together and Gary is a quality recruiter as well so it just adds to his benefit.

You have to question some of his decisions the past 3 or 4 years but not his football knowledge and his ties in the West.  I think with the 10th coaching spot he’d be better than almost anyone we’d have available.  Staff upgrade without question.  

Either he coaches here under his mentor or under one of his former assistants at TDS.  Easy decision.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

How could this be a bad thing?

I think Gary figured out / realized that he doesn’t enjoy Head Coaching. I mean, I have no insight and that’s pure speculation, but… what would be wrong with going back to Coaching under Whittingham?

This would be a very, very good thing for us in a lot of ways.

4 1

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Shine is off that one. The jumping and those texts? No thanks.

ragtownute
      Ute Fan
      @ragtownute

I think there is a fair amount of risk here. If Gary can quietly understand his role and defer to Morgan, then it could be great.

If there is any whiff of Gary big-timing Morgan, it would undermine defensive chemistry in a big way, and Morgan’s defense still needs to develop their identity.

High risk, high reward IMO.

Utemachine
      Ute Fan
      @utemachine

I would love to see GA at the DC. I just don’t have confidence in Scalley. What jumped out to me in that article was Kyle not willing to confirm if Troy was coming back at OC. If the offense improved, you’re going to bring him back, and you’re known for going through OC’s like toilet paper, wouldn’t you put that issue to rest? Don’t offensive recruits want to know there is stability finally at OC?

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So is the Gary Anderson thing happening?