Surprise 4* QB committment

Viewing 8 reply threads

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Tednab
      Ute Fan
      @tednab

Great news take any 4*… HUGE get .. I’ll reserve my opinion given our qb track record

ryynoo
      Ute Fan
      @ryynoo

“Who?” This was a legitimate question. For some reason when I read this thread on the web, I can’t see the first post. But I can see it on the ios app. Not sure if I’m blocked or I’ve blocked the poster of the first post.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

Impressive offer list. Seems like a good get.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Dang… He has some really good offers. If nothing else, this should help our 2025 class.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I also like his WR teammate Young, who is a WR in the mold of Covey. I think we should go all in on the 2-3 TE and a speedy slot guy strategy (as long as 1 of the TEs is a rangy type like Kincaid). Young would be perfect for our system.

BD
          Ute Fan
          @flyfisherman

4-star WR Xavier Jordan is his teammate also. He’s currently committed to USC, but wonder if Becker could convince him to flip to Utah. There’s some X posts who seem to think it might be a possibility.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I like what this does for ’25. Maybe he can get an awesome Cali receiver to join him. He is good enough to get an offer from Georgia and has another year of HS to improve. Along with Wilson this helps WRs look at Utah. I noticed that one of Wilson’s WRs in ’25 is projected to join Wilson at Utah.

6 7

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Two things…One, none of the 4 star QBs we’ve recruited recently have ever amounted to anything. Two, if this guy is as good as advertised then either he or Wilson will transfer. You can’t expect either one to calmly sit behind the other. That being said, it’s good to get as many highly ranked recruits as possible so that you can eventually hit on one.

Wish we could raid A&M for some blue chippers now that Jimbo got canned.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

I think it is a numbers game. Sure a couple of 4 star QBs didn’t work out. Then again, only Rising of the recent 3 transfer QBs worked out. Huntley and Shelly were recruited 1 year apart, one worked out, the other to a lessor degree. Not sure one source is better than the other. As to Wilson and Becker being one year apart, I feel you need to have a QB in every class to have options if one does not work out or gets injured. Neither QB could ever hope or want to go somewhere without other high level QBs to compete with for a spot. As to current year transfers, Whitt has already indicated a plan to hit the portal hard. I expect Whitt will be reading again the tea leaves related to Risings return, and likely would have a transfer QB to compete with Wilson if Rising is not a 2024 Ute. But under all circumstances we need to line up a 2025 QB.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

without trying to restart the whole “should he/shouldn’t he have tried to get a portal QB before the 2023 season”.,, I do need to ask why it would be important to get a portal QB before the 2024 season? Isn’t the QB room currently the same as it was in February but with the addition of Wilson?

You would have Rising, Barnes and Johnson with some level of starting experience, Rose and Howard, plus Wilson. Unless you are anticipating offseason attrition, you already have 6 scholarship QB’s while most teams carry only 4 or 5.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

I think the portal QB for ’24 is a function of the analysis coaches will do. They know much more about Barnes and Johnson, I think they have also learned more about the potential for Rose and Howard. Next, hopefully they will get a good assessment for the return and availability of Rising. Wilson and Becker are great future pieces with little possibility that Wilson can help in ’24.

I expect that they will grade them out looking to have the two high level options available for ’24. If they identify a portal option that would fall into the top two spots they should recruit them. If that was the case Barnes, Johnson, Rose and Howard would review their options and they would consider another position (Johnson) or transferring.

I guess the short answer is Utah will try to improve for ’24 if possible.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Charlie, it’s hard for me to get excited about Utah possibly getting another California 4 Star HS QB, when I see 5 Star QBs in other teams riding the bench or just being straight up busts.

I don’t like Lincoln Riley but I do agree with him when he says that your performance at the college level, and not the high school level, is what really determines your worth.

This is even more so when we’re talking about a guy that hasn’t even signed a Letter of Intent to Utah.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

I don’t disagree. But we need numbers and I don’t feel a single source will be enough. Improve whenever it is possible. As for top QBs for years ’25 to ’28 HS is about all there is to go on.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Glad to hear about our future DB or LB!

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

Right but how does Cam rising factor into this

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

Cam should have the green light by then

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Man oh man. Just watched some film on him. He has a tremendous arm. So easy and fluid and the ball flies out of his hand. Wilson and Becker’s arms are better than anyone else’s on the team. Whether or not they can read a defense remains to be seen, but these kids are just better. The floor is so much higher than the QB’s have.

I’m pumped.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

His ball tends to be high, especially when on the move. I’d estimate roughly 60% of his highlights involved the receiver leaving his feet to make the catch. That is easily fixable.

The thing I really like was that he was willing to “throw his guys open”, often releasing the ball before the receiver was even with the defender. Rising had that level of confidence with both Kincaid and Kuithe. And we just watched Penix teach a master class is throwing to a spot and trusting his receiver to make contested catches. Hopefully Utah’s risk averse approach doesn’t take that attribute away.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Surprise 4* QB committment