This Story From 29 April 2023 Paints Whitt in a Bad Light

Viewing 7 reply threads
      7 18

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Utah QB Cam Rising ahead of schedule for ACL rehab, Whittingham says

Whitt is quoted as saying:

To this point, he’s doing great, and we fully expect to have him for the opener certainly, unless we have a setback. In preparation for that, hopefully, 10-14 days out from the opener where he can start to really practice.

I love Whitt, but saying that Rising would be ready for the Florida opener was being more than economical with the truth.

3 9

Dog luuver26
      Ute Fan
      @dogluuver26

‘unless we have a setback’ … which is what happened.

13 6

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

There was no setback…Cam’s doctor has even said so…just the normal recovery period for an injury of that magnitude.

12 6

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

Your obsession with talking negatively about Whitt is growing old

5 13

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

What would you recommend? Just letting obvious planning mistakes go unnoticed and unmentioned? I’d really like to know.

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

Whitts credibility.. take it for what you buy into .. My guess Utes will destroy Cal Saturday .. This nay say underdog mentality is exactly where whitt thrives .. with that being said the schedule is brutal and the offense that’s being displayed is the worst I’ve seen, injuries or not I would expect better than the very bottom from him and the coaching staff. We supposedly recruited a top 30 class and have depth .. reloaded .. raw or not .. There is no excuse for how bad its been, next man up .

4 2

22Ute22
            Ute Fan
            @utedagoat

Destroy Cal how? Our offense is so bad, it makes me wish for our 2012-2015 offenses. The only reason we are covering the point spread against Cal is if we beat them 14-0.

Tednab
              Ute Fan
              @tednab

Lol true .. I was counting 14 points being scored by the defense on a shutout game

Tacoma Ute
              Ute Fan
              @tacomaute

Two pick sixes.

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye
            2 7

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Thanks for posting the article. It just blows my mind that Whitt is doubling down on thinking that he made the right decision not going to the portal. As it stands, Rising will be lucky to get one or two games this season after he fully recovers from his injury. That portal QB he failed to get could be starting right now, not sitting down and, if he was playing well, probably would continue to start even after Rising received a clean bill of health.

The other thing this article clears up is that we now know with full certainty that Whitt did not go into the portal at all this offseason. So, that means that Whitt either was comfortable going into the season fully well knowing that one of Rose, Barnes, or Johnson would be the starting QB or that he didn’t have a good handle on the recovery period for Rising’s injury.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Both. He believed that between the 3 QB’s and his staff, they would be able to continue at close to the same success they have had recently. He also believed that Rising would be back and I don’t think that’s in dispute.

He didn’t go to the portal because of those reasons and the comment he made about no one coming because of Cam is just window dressing. There’s a difference between telling potential interested player’s or their family/friends/HS coaches that you don’t need a QB so don’t bother asking and “we tried every QB in the portal and none of them would come to Utah”. Of those two, I believe he deliberately didn’t take a transfer, not that he tried and failed.

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

Let me see if I can understand what you’re saying…are you saying that Dr. El-Attrache told Whitt that Cam would be out between 10-12 months and Whitt said “Naaaah, he’ll be back well before that, trust me.”

DataUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @scotwaye

No, I think he’s saying that both your statements are possibly true – Whit felt comfortable with the guys they recruited – 2 4* plus Barnes as being able to learn, grow, and become at worst a serviceable fill in until Cam could come back (maybe the timeline was off, but still the same). We’ve learned Barnes only has some skills. We’ve learned Nate is not there yet. Rose got injured so hasn’t had the chance to get snaps and us give him a try. AND Cam was later than Whit thought (yes, maybe naively, but team doctors vs. world-class surgeon nonetheless, it’s still debatable – which I understand is your point).

Whit clearly felt they could not get anyone better than their own recruits with a year in the system from the portal. So he went with the bird in hand. And we are 4-1. Ugly 4-1. One of the worst offenses 4-1 (BTW, Iowa has the worst offense, the coach is getting incentives to score points, and they are 5-1).

The Miami Ute
                    Ute Fan
                    @themiamiute

I get it. Whitt took a calculated risk, rolled snake eyes, and then used subterfuge to keep the opposition guessing once he saw things weren’t panning out.

4 9

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

Given the facts that we’re learning, it’s not unreasonable to assess that the game has passed him up, he’s lost focus, or relied too heavily on other coaches/advisors. Common sense is that he was never going to be ready to play week one. Either he ignorantly believed that it was a possibility or he blatantly lied about it for some precieved strategic advantage. Take your pick.

5 6

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Yeah. That’s pretty obvious that he was clueless. I’m believing he was ignorant to the recovery for that injury over a flat out liar.

2 11

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I have to go with you on this issue but it still makes him look pretty bad. How could you not know the estimated rehab period for an injury to your star player? I wish I had some answers.

13 5

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

dude you are reaching dystopian levels of annoying.

2 6

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I’m sorry I’m annoying you. I’m also sorry that you lack such a sense of critical thinking or analysis that you can’t see what’s happening here with our football team. Feel free to block me and you won’t be annoyed any more. Have a good night.

1 2

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Nobody gives a s**t.

1 11

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

LOL…thanks Randy…I was wondering when you’d show up to enlighten us with your wizened comments. Now be a good little boy and go to bed before your mommy gets mad.

RedUte14
          Ute Fan
          @redute14

thanks for telling me what my views and opinions are old man 👴

1 6

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Isn’t your shift at Wendy’s about to start? My, where do you find the time. All kidding aside, I haven’t criticized your views because I simply have no idea what they are. The only times I ever notice guys like you and Randy Rhoads is when you call me a “broken record” or say I’m annoying. I honestly haven’t seen you or him post anything here other than criticize people who actually post something that’s relevant to the program.

7 2

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

You’re a broken record.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Whitt knowingly lying is the worst take out there. Why would he?

Why would he keep any other QB’s from the team in hopes that Rising can play? Why would he want less wins if Rising couldn’t play.

Such a bad take.

You have two options:

1- Rising told Whitt 12 months and Whitt lied for some stupid reason instead of finding a new QB

OR

2- you have Rising, a guy who is making more as a college QB than he would in the NFL, know he wouldn’t be back for the start of the season and may not play at all. If he tells people this, Whitt gets another QB, if that QB plays great, Rising may not ever play for Utah again. But if Rising can keep Utah from adding another QB, Rising knows he’s the starter whenever he wants to come back. Whether week 1 or 10.

Also, if Rising knows it’s 10-12 months and is honest about it, he doesn’t get paid. No intelligent person is going to pay Rising $500,000 to not play. That’s not how this works.

I don’t know what really happened or if it was option 1 or 2. But I highly doubt it is Whitt purposefully screwing over his team by trying to force Rising to play and poor widdle Rising in the locker room saying, “but I told you 12 months…”

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

tl/dr:

Whitt has no reason to lie about this and Rising has hundreds of thousands of reasons to make it seem like he will be ready to play week 1.

2 8

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Are you familiar with Roman law? As a legal system, Roman law has affected the development of law in most of Western civilization as well as in parts of the East. It forms the basis for the law codes of most countries of continental Europe and derivative systems elsewhere.

Anyways, the first question the Romans would ask when trying to decipher a crime or mediate a civil dispute is “cui bono” or “who benefits.” So, in the scenario you described above, who benefits? That’s really the first question that needs to be raised if you want to really untangle the situation that’s present before us.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Whitt was going off of what the team doctors were telling him. If it were their call, he’d be playing by now.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football This Story From 29 April 2023 Paints Whitt in a Bad Light