Time to exercise

Viewing 23 reply threads
      20 4

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

…my 2nd ammendment rights. Don’t own any firearms but it’s time. Need to get one for me and the wife, and some training. Suggestions welcome. 

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

For home? If so, look into 12 gauge shotgun. Lots of options.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I’m with you, Bro.  I have a sweet handgun that I’ve never used and have never taken the time to figure out.  Time to remedy that.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

My favorite handgun is the Sig Sauer P229.  It’s a bit on the pricier side, but for compactability, balance, and recoil, it rates the best in the “all around” category.

Many people may tell you to get a Glock, because it’s the best weapon at controlling recoil — thereby making it a more accurate weapon — but I advise against it, as the Glocks do not come equiped with a Safety feature.

When given a choice between the “nickel plated” and “blued”, go with the nickel plated option.  They’re easier to clean.

Avoid anything above a .40 caliber if it’s for home defense.  I tend to favor the .380.

Another good one is the Walther PPK.  That’s a .380 that comes with an additional safety feature in the slide, where a pin juts out (aka, “loaded chamber indicator”) to tell the handler that there’s a round in the chamber.  In the PPK, it’s a standard feature.  In the P229 it’s an option feature.  I can’t stress this enough — GET THE FEATURE!  You’d be surprised at how many professional shooters accidentally fire a round, thinking their chamber was cleared.  Back when I was in the Navy, this was the most common error.

Brownings are also very well balanced.

Hope that helps ya.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I agree the P229 is a great gun and Glocks can be weird, especially for first time gun owners. I might also suggest getting a revolver for home defense. You probably won’t need more than 5 or 6 rounds anyway, it won’t jam and they’re easy to maintain.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I also second revolvers. For women they are the best imo especially the hammerless options. 

pics
        Ute Fan
        @pics

I prefer the smaller frame P239 Sig although I own both the P229 (40 cal) and P239 (9mm). I also have a P238 (.380) that is very easy to conceal.

S.CarolinaUte
      Ute Fan
      @s-carolinaute

My wife really likes her S&W 38 shield for her purse. Light easy to get to and close range accuracy. 

I like my ruger 9 mill with 17 round clip to carry around.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Nice! I love my ruger .45. Bought for $250 at Sportsman’s. Only holds 9-10 rounds but it is a stout MF’er and has a red pop up that shows when loaded and has a safety. I much prefer to carry in my trail pack over my CZ P10 and my Smith and Wesson M&P Shield.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm. Any version, Full size or compact.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

I have the compact. Great gun. Fits my hand well, accurate and had 1 jam on 500+ rounds….blame the bullet, lol. 

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

FWIW…for carry, a lot of people make fun of 9mm; however, if you use P++ ammo, it will have more than sufficient stopping power. And, most important, practice.

I shoot more than most people (15k-25k rounds per year) and have shot with people of many different backgrounds, including different law enforcement officers. Although it is near impossible to replicate high stress situations, shooting and firearm handling skills are paramount.

For home/house defense, rounds from high powered handguns can penetrate walls and potentially hit unintended targets. Again, practice, practice, and practice.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Most police departments and the FBI have gone back to 9mm from .40 S&W. Bullet technology has advanced to the point where the ballistic differences are negligible, and follow-up shots are easier with the lower recoiling 9mm.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

This is a great idea Tony. You seem a responsible person and I trust you to protect yourself, your family and your property. The police can’t save you. They can only show up after the fact. Be sure to practice and remember these four rules. 1. Never point your weapon at anything you don’t intend to shoot. 2. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded. 3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to shoot. 4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

3 1

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

You have the fourth rule wrong. 1. Treat every gun as if it’s always loaded. 2. Do not point your weapon at anything you do not wish to destroy, 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you’re ready to fire, and 4. ALWAYS be sure of your target, and what’s BEHIND it, — you are responsible for every bullet that comes out of it.

1 1

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps and that was our safety rules for our weapons. Whatever dude.

1 1

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive
              3 4

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

I honestly do give a rats ass what gun geeks have to say. I’ll take what I learned which served me and continues to serve me pretty damn well. I’ll put my training up against yours any day. And I can share what I learned if I damn well please. If you want to correct that and act like your way is better, fine, I don’t care. I didnt say anything wrong, you got your rules from “gun geeks”. Great. I got mine from combat vets and they were developed by the best combat minds in the world at war colleges and universities. I’ll stick with mine, thank you.

1 1

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

Jeff Cooper was a Marine. You might want to learn what he had to say.

1 3

Central Coast Ute
                  Ute Fan
                  @flip2848

Don’t care.

Utesbyfive
                    Ute Fan
                    @utesbyfive

You know what you know, right? No room for growth, or critical thinking. Got it. My grampa was a Marine corps officer. He won the Legion of Merit at Tarawa. I have nothing but respect for your service. I hope you have a long and happy life.

4 4

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Another thing for you to remember Tony:  if you opt for a clip loaded pistol, it would be wise to only load your clip halfway.  So if you have an 8-round clip, only put 4 bullets in it.  This will prevent your springs from losing its tension.  But once you get to the firing range, and you intend to unload all rounds, then go ahead an load your clip to maximum round capacity.

4 2

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I’m sorry, but this is a myth. Perhaps back in WW2 spring metalurgy was crap, but todays materials do not lose their tensile strength even over decades.

1 3

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

You are mistaken Utesbyfive.  I served in the Navy 50-yrs after WWII, and we still carried two half-loaded clips for Quarterdeck sentry duties in order to preserve the tension of the springs.  Fully loaded clips/magazines were for forward positions where hostile incursions were more imminent.

2 1

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

No disrespect, but Navy procedures don’t equal fact. Springs wear due to cycling, compressing then decompressing, not by maintaining compression for a long period. Keeping a magazine (not a clip) loaded to capacity for years will not wear out the spring. Keeping a magazine half full handicaps yourself in any self-defense situation, and isn’t recommended by anyone in the firearms training industry.

PhiladelphiaUte
              Ute Fan
              @philadelphiaute

No disrespect, but the Navy doesn’t just make up procedures for the fun of it.  There’s a method to their madness.

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

No disrespect, but the Navy was issuing M1911s manufactured during world war 2 when you were in service, and thank you for your service. Please update your knowledge about modern semi-automatic pistols, and magazines, and spring technology before you advocate for carrying a magazine at half capacity. If you can find a single police officer on the street anywhere in America carrying a half-full magazine in his service sidearm, I’ll give you $100.

2 2

PhiladelphiaUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @philadelphiaute

You are mistaken AGAIN Utesbyfive!  I didn’t serve during WWII.  I served 50-yrs AFTER WWII.  And WE weren’t issued M1911s.

And why would you offer me $100 to find a single beat cop with a half-mag?  Did you not read what I’d written?  I’ll say it again for you…

Fully loaded clips/magazines were for forward positions where hostile incursions were more imminent.”

Beat cops are in regions where they’ll need a full load. Quarterdeck sentries are NOT! And neither are private residences. Tony is not going to need a full metal jacket to protect his home.

Why are you so intent on “gun-splaining” proper use and maintenance of firearms to Navy and Marine Corps veterans? You DO know that we’re far better trained on these matters than you are, aren’t you?

Utesbyfive
                    Ute Fan
                    @utesbyfive

Thank you for your service. Your advice is not current, nor relevant. Tony, please take some modern NRA sanctioned instruction if you plan on this.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Buy Glock magazines and keep them fully loaded. I haven’t had to replace my oldest one which is 7 years old. Functioning just fine last week. 

cjd1
      Ute Fan
      @cjd1

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range would work well.

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

Shotgun is a good idea for home defense, it’s not likely to penetrate walls and hit unintended persons. For personal defense I love my Ruger P89 9mm. Large magazine capacity and I’ve fired a couple of thousand rounds over the years with no problems or missfires. Very reliable and not as pricey as the big names. I also have a small Springfield 45. 6 round magazine leaves a little to be desired, but it’s small and compact and kicks hard when fired.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Depends on what you are comfortable with. Shotgun is best for homes in my opinion. Remington 870 is highly customizable and inexpensive. 

I think Glock is best from a reliability standpoint. Also highly customizable. Safety features is understanding the rules of firearm safety. Keep your finger off the trigger until you have made the decision to fire. I suggest a 9MM GLOCK 34 gen five with an MOS. Red dots installed in handguns are right now. They vastly improve accuracy and work with human evolution better than regular iron sights. Glock 43 is also a good option for concealing in the summer with a little more comfort.

TNT guns will let you try out various models and also has training. Having a safe is also very important. Salt Lake Wholesale in South Salt Lake is where police shop. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I also think a 45 acp or 9mm in the AR platform is a nice option. You can really control recoil and improve accuracy with good defense options. Downside is maintenance increases. Anyone can be trained to use these firearms with good solid repetitions. 

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

Go to Scheels and take the Concealed Carry Perrmit class from Jake Moosman (http://FDS-Utah.com/).  He is an excellent teacher, very thorough, will give you what you need to know.  He is also open to questions longterm, after the class has completed.  His classes seem fully booked, but if you just show up, I’d bet he will let you attend.  In the meantime, check out videos by Masaad Ayoob.  He is a world renowned firearms expert.  Note: He says that the 9MM can be anywhere from very ineffective to highly effective, depending on your choice of ammo.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

I was lucky enough to take my CC class from Larry Correia. Google him if you’re interested. He’s a stud.

Anonymous
      Ute Fan
      @anonymous

Tony, whichever firearm you choose, be sure to get the right training. I’ve been a member of “front sight” for a number of years, and I’ll you- high quality professional training makes all the difference.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

A lot of solid advice. I agree with a shotgun for in-home protection for all the reasons mentioned when you’re home and a dip s**t is bold or f’d up enough to enter your home uninvited. The sound of lock and load is your first line of defense without pulling the trigger, which I’m sure all agree on this thread is the last thing anyone wants to do. A low caliber pistol for your wife is a solid option if she is not going to frequent the range. Personally, a pistol, a shotgun, and a high caliber semi-auto style rifle should be part of your home collection. For no other reason to go out to the desert or range for some fun shooting if that’s of interest.

I have an old SKS with 20 and 30 round clips inherited from my Uncle. Again, this would be for the god forbid option your business or home was subject to the riot situation a month ago I thought would never happen. A high velocity semi-auto rifle for the worst case scenario to protect your property within 100 meter range. Personally again, I am bias towards the 7.62X39 rounds as if you’re competent with the weapon you can stop a truck. Furthermore, when the 7.62 rounds start flying the sound alone will scare the s**t out of these foolish morons.

The last thing anyone wants to is to be in the position to use firearms as lethal defense. That said, better to be prepared, and it’s your constitutional right. Keep in mind, pulling the trigger, you are responsible for every bullet flying out of your weapon and where it lands to include injuries to others and property. Read and understand the state and federal laws of firearm ownership, use, safety, and personal defense. Most importantly, weigh the pros and cons of having weapons in your home. Again, odds are strongly in favor of never being in the position of self defense, just 2 cent things to add to the discussion while we wait for football to start. Go Utes!

3 8

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Damn….utehub loves their guns…lol.

The boggie man’s a coming.

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

Not sure I love my guns. They are tools and sporting equipment to me. Plus, as a brown person in Utah, a Trump-loving state, I’d rather have guns than not. However, as a 6’1″, 210 lbs muscular Asian-American (yup, I’m a hyphenated American, not a real one), I haven’t experienced any issues. That said, I would more than welcome them.

3 6

User Suspended
          @a2ute

I get it. but instead white people would rather stock up on guns then deal with a a real issue that has crippled American for 400 years. I don’t know the answer but know as white americans we need to to change.You would think mormons would understand this… but nope

5 1

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

I’m not a racist. I don’t need to change. Some of my best “gun buddies” aren’t white. But thanks for your s**tty blanket, and intellectually bankrupt assertions that I am “part of the problem” because I am white and own guns.

1 6

User Suspended
              @a2ute

I never called you out directly, so PLEASE don”t  try to be the victim,  Its just sad that this lengthy post about getting a gun screams that making big changes is not in the cards for utehub 

Utesbyfive
                Ute Fan
                @utesbyfive

I’ve been as horrified as anyone by the death of the man in Minneapolis. There isn’t a white person here who isn’t disgusted and outraged by the whole thing. I’m 100% in favor of police reform. The cop has been arrested and charged with murder. There isn’t anyone I know unwilling to discuss and advocate for reform. But we’re all part of the problem according to white liberals. We’re guilty because of our skin color right? Seems a bit racist to me.

1 5

User Suspended
                  @a2ute

I just don’t know why the discussion is about getting a gun…..are they coming to get ya?

Maybe for once, as white people we get infront of this… but no, let’s talk guns

Central Coast Ute
                    Ute Fan
                    @flip2848

Actually Pace, there is chatter on the interwebs from ANTIFA, which is made up of mostly young, white people, moving into neighborhoods. Nothing wrong with people of any race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual preference, religion, gender choice etc., protecting themselves and their families from those who would do them harm. If you want to roll the dice and hope no one hurts you, especially in a state where police response time is extremely long, that’s your right. But don’t shame people for using their brains and taking precautions in an ever changing world.

2 1

Utesbyfive
                    Ute Fan
                    @utesbyfive

You’re the one who brought the riots and the whole issue of “institutional racism” into this. I’m definitely done responding to you.

Tony (admin)
                    Admin/Founder
                    @admin

Actually as I mentioned, my neighbor had a home invasion a few weeks ago. I talked to him at length about it.  Had he not had a gun, he and his wife would have been in serious trouble.  And guess what?  The color of the skin of the low life that broke into their house was white.  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Well I just received an email from a user who is leaving the site because of this discussion. You can’t filter twitter, but you can here.  

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Please let it be someone(we all know who)on my block list. 

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

Nope, he’s still here.

3 1

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Good riddance

CapitalUte
        Ute Fan
        @capitalute

Really? I can filter out gun discussions? I know I can block users, didn’t know about topics.

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

If you want to restrict your viewing to say, just football, uncheck all the other categories.  This topic is in the misc category.  You can filter the home page posts on the website, and you can filter in the app.

CapitalUte
            Ute Fan
            @capitalute

I knew I could restrict categories, I didn’t realize how big a catchall “misc” was. Too bad because I do enjoy your skiing videos, etc. 

Tony (admin)
              Admin/Founder
              @admin

This is but one conversation among hundreds in misc. 

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

😂 miscellaneous is much too vast a definition? I had no idea that it could quite possibly include this!

Brettski
        Ute Fan
        @brettski

Seriously? That’s pretty thin skin…  I’ve been looking at picking up a simple 10/22 Ruger rifle to train the kids on gun safety with.  We already have a shotgun for home defense.

Best of luck to you with your purchase, Tony!  

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

My neighbor’s house was invaded a few weeks ago. Once my neighbor’s pistol was on the invader, the invader stopped.  The cops arrived 45 minutes later and the invader was still sitting there at gunpoint. Two doors down, so to speak. 

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Tony, the only thing I can say, is that when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Your neighbor should have called the cops to report it for insurance purposes after the victim of an imperialistic society was allowed to take what he wanted(EDIT NEEDED). 

Tic 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Bread and cheese would have got him to leave peacefully.

1 1

Bostonutes
      Ute Fan
      @bostonutes

I am excited for all of you.  Best of luck.  Do what you need to do.  I am providing my neighbors with a loaf of artisian sough dough bread and some smoked pepperjack cheese. My last batch of cheese for the season is in the fridge.  It is getting to hot to smoke cheese.  If one of my neighborts breaks in, i will just provide them some sourdough starter and send them on their way.     

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

If someone comes to break in, they’re not there for cheese and bread. Most likely they’ll be high on drugs and aren’t going to be reasonable. The problem with this line of thinking is that you assume that someone who would break into your home while you’re there is going to be coherent or not there to do you harm. Living in a fantasy world where no one would do you harm serves no one. It would be nice if that was how everyone operated, but it isn’t.

1 4

User Suspended
        @a2ute

WTF?

2 1

Bostonutes
      Ute Fan
      @bostonutes

My post was somewhat tognue in cheeck.  Of course i am concerned with the safety of my family.  For those individuals who want to get firearms go for it. However, the chance of somone on drugs breaking into my house is very very low.  The chance of my neighbors becoming isolated, paranoid, and developing extreme opinions of each other is very high in the current environment.  Maybve not with violence, but with a head down don’t look up approach.  You can WTF me all you want, all I am saying is that connection with people is also part of safety.    

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

That’s cool and I apologize if it was tongue in cheek. Yes, the chances of someone breaking in are low and if you don’t want a gun, I support that choice. What I cant abide is the notion that no one should be allowed to be able to defend their families from intruders. Not everyone is so fortunate to live in a nice neighborhood.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I have guns and wave at my neighbors still. Just had a talk with a bunch of them. Your implicit bias is showing. 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

My wife and I just picked up her Sig Saur p238 with laser sight. It’s a good gun, especially for her. She’s smaller and doesn’t have as much experience with guns. It’s small, light weight gun and perfect for her size and experience level.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

5.5 million guns sold in the past 90 days. June will be even more. 

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Yeah the dealer said the last three days have been off the hook. I wanted to get a Sig Saur p229 but he said it’s going to be a while because Sig is so backed up.

Utesbyfive
          Ute Fan
          @utesbyfive

I have my guns. If you haven’t been stocking up, you haven’t been paying attention.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I am in the same boat as you Tony.  I want something for home defense and all of my research leads me to buying a Mossberg 500 shotgun.  Almost every website that recommends guns for home defense rank it number one.  Does anyone know why?  I am new to the whole gun scene.  

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Remington 870 is what I am most familiar with so that is what I recommend. I grew up shooting it and have one for ducks. 
        Pump action shotguns are easy to operate and maintain. 
        An anecdotal story I tell about an 870 is one time my brother dropped his 870 in the swamp. That thick stuff out in Farmington bay. He wiped it off and killed about ten ducks that day. No problems with it all. 

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Solid, well built, no frills, reliable, low cost shotgun.

Viewing 23 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Time to exercise