tranfer portal rule changes

Viewing 7 reply threads

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

1. a player can enter the portal only after Jan 1st. after a full two seasons with the current program
      2. may not transfer within the same conference.
      3. red shirt does not account as a year in item #1
      4. if you enter the portal more than once, it must be as a walk on, the landing school is not allowed to compensate
      the player in any form. No scholarship, NIL..etc..etc.
      5. there should be a NIL cap for all universities.
      what you all think?

dwainegf
      Ute Fan
      @dwainegf

Pipe dream. You need to remember why the portal came about in the first place. Student athletes sued the NCAA and won. The NCAA lost most of its power over the players as far as NIL issues are concerned. The students would need to unionize and agree to a collective bargaining agreement with the NCAA in order for the rules you are proposing to come about.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Yup. College football is a great example of why unabashed, unregulated society doesn’t work. You need rules. You need regulations. You need unions. All those things make life better for the majority of people. You take away those things and the Alabama’s and Ohio State’s do fine, but everyone else suffers.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

NCAA supplied a lot of rules and regulations. They are way worst than what is taking place now.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

The NCAA had no way to enforce those rules and regulations. The NCAA isn’t the problem. It’s the lack of enforcement and power that the NCAA has.

Let the NCAA subpoena records. Let them have access to everything. Let them conduct interviews and go through financials and phones, etc. Let them levy punishments.

The problem is if you tell the NCAA that you won’t cooperate, then they can’t do anything.

And the next problem is…the red state universities. California tried for years to get the NCAA to allow athletes to get paid. The SEC, ACC and B1G told Cali to go pound sand.

So California passed laws allowing athletes to get paid and forced the issue and now we have this mess. Democrats aren’t perfect. Far from it. But the right has become the party of “do nothing and bitch about it” and a lot of our problems today is that group’s unwillingness to do anything.

Things would be so much better if the SEC/ACC/B1G had agreed to set up a system to allow athletes to get paid. Like I know we aren’t supposed to talk about politics, but college football is a republican’s wet dream.

No rules, you can spend money however you like, no redistribution of wealth, no regulations, you get to pick the winners (keeping FSU out. ESPN owns the SEC and wants to promote them. ESPN doesn’ want competition. They want the SEC to win. Same with republicans. They don’t want competition. They want to own everything with no competition. Look at what Larry Miller did with passing laws about car sales, no compete zones, etc and how he got the Utah Red Zone shut down.), no little guy. If you don’t like what college football is becoming, then you don’t like the republican way.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

Going along with this, the NFL is a democrat’s wet dream:

Salary cap. Even playing field. Every team has an almost equal chance to compete.
              Draft picks. The worst team gets the most help.
              Revenue distribution. Make sure everyone had money.
              Minimum contracts. Everyone has a base level of living.
              No relegation. No one fails.
              Unions. Protect the workers and give them a voice.
              Healthcare. Take care of the health of your employees so they can perform better.
              Retirement. Let your employees have a chance to enjoy themselves after they work hard to make you billions.
              Money for education. Realize that you want your workers to succeed. Help them better themselves.
              Education for investing. Help them take the money they earn and put it into good use: investing and more businesses. Help them grow the economy. Not hoard their wealth.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

I am not going to get into R and D conversations. I don’t see the government ever making anything better going forward in my life. Especially on a national level.

I look at these kids making money even Rising and I think it is great. More power to them. To me it seems like they are sticking it to the man in a very small way. With billion dollar media companies benefiting in the way they always do making even more money.

An equal outcome type situation will never happen. At least let the market and fanbase choose who they want in a way. It is an oversimplification of course. It isn’t immediately obvious to me that any regulation will make things better.

UtMtBiker
              Ute Fan
              @utmtbiker

If you think there is really any substantial difference between the “left” and “right” politicians they have you right where they want you. They all answer to corporations and billionaires. What we’re seeing in football is a microcosm of capitalism. It has to grow or it fails, just like a cancer cell, destroying everything.

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

1. would need to move early signing for HS back. why 2 seasons? what if coach leaves? what if team wants them to leave?
      2. why? esp with these jumbo conferences
      3. ok, but same questions as above
      4. I do like having 1st time is shame on the team, 2nd time shame on you. But what about if the 2nd time is grad transfer? I think that could be an exception
      5. untenable for legal reasons, esp since it’s not coming from the university (yet …) – the market, however stupid and asinine for a 19 year kid to be getting $M’s, will set the price. Totally stupid because each fan/donor base has different appetites for putting money in

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Unrealistic on all counts for various reasons. Keep in mind the Supreme Court decision was unanimous.

Coaches can leave whenever they want.

I think players should be able to leave when ever they want and IMMEDIATELY become eligible. NCAA should be gutted of all its power and dismantled.

I think that of any corrupt organization.

As far as caps go. The university already is capped. It is zero. The University isn’t the one paying these kids.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

I think players should be able to leave when ever the want but after the 1st one, require them to sit for a year UNLESS 1) graduate transfer, 2) coach leaves, 3) special circumstances (sick family member, etc.). I have no confidence either that NCAA is the answer anymore at all.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Any limitation on the kids ability to sell their brand is a violation.

I don’t think mid season transfers will be common. I don’t mind deadlines. But again it falls into the whole limitation and you need contracts with the University to make them the arbiters.

Limitations? If the kid wants to leave let him leave. I think it will result in morons throwing money at kids less likely to throw money at them.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

It seems like we’re going to have to let the runaway train of the portal/NIL situation run completely off the tracks before there will be any appetite for fixing it.

I don’t see how this all ends well for college football. The concentration of all the top talent in maybe 4 or 5 teams will eventually get very boring. How long can it be entertaining for those teams to play maybe 2 or 3 competitive games per year? It’s like when we watch the games against FCS opponents at the start of the year. They’re fun for about ten minutes and then you realize you’re not seeing anywhere near the best football from your team because of the mismatch. Where’s the fun for the fan?

I think those top programs who are so excited right now about getting all the top players will eventually be the ones begging for a change to all this. As soon as fan interest wanes because of how boring seasons become, they’ll realize how overcommitted they are financially. There’s going to be financial pain for all this silly spending.

I know it seems far-fetched right now to be saying all this but it’s the lesson every pro sports league has had to learn. There has to be financial guardrails put in place to encourage broad-based competitiveness. But no one will accept guardrails until things start crashing down. College football is now a pro sports league and the leading teams are going to have to learn this lesson the hard way.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Once even the non-top schools realize that they are paying $78M for a coach to not coach anymore, they’ll start to wonder what the point of all this is. It once was to provide opportunities for students to compete at high levels against other schools. Not it’s just plainly a business. Do some of these athletes that keep transferring even really get educated?

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Do some of these athletes that keep transferring even really get educated?

It’s hard to see how they could. Most people studying for a legitimate degree (i.e. one that requires a significant amount of time invested) have a moderate to hard time trying to learn and get good grades while in a stable environment.

DrahtUte
            Ute Fan
            @drahtute

I still remember the story about a certain graduate transfer to the Ute football team who couldn’t remember what major he’d just graduated from the other school in.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Blue bloods have been blue bloods for a reason. I think the curtain has been pulled back is all.
        The major blue bloods have received extra love from the NCAA for years. They only sacrifice certain blue bloods in some sort of power struggle that we will never understand. USC received a pretty harsh punishment for some pretty regularly some bulls**t.

By comparison Pedo state. Nothing. Basically nothing and it violated laws! Same with Miami.

Red Rhino
      Ute Fan
      @ryanute

A contract is a legal agreement, so college athletes need to decide if they are children with no consequences or adults with legal ramifications for breaking contracts.

Like coaches, player’s existing NIL contracts should have a time, (such as four years) attached to the contract and should have to be bought out if the player breaches the agreement early. The payment for the contract could be paid out yearly, with players leaving money on the table if they leave early as well as having to pay a fine.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I think, at the end. that’s the way it’s going to go. No school, whether they be a Blueblood or not, is immune from this and they’ll all eventually come to an agreement that will help maintain the status quo.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

In response to question asking if the athletes get educated:

Back in the day, when schools gave the players a full ride scholarship (seems a very lucrative benefit when many students work their way through college and still graduate with a large student loan debt), players had the incentive to get their degree they can use to help their career path when they are done playing sports. (even if they are good enough play a few years in the pros)

Now that NIL $$$$ is letting them make many times what most workers (even those in fields requiring advanced degrees) make, a lot of the motivation to earn a degree isn’t really there anymore. Now some players can earn more money in 4 years then I will make in my lifetime.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

And that lack of motivation is why most of them will be broke by the time they’re 30. Even the vast majority of guys that have normal NFL careers are essentially broke 4-5 years after the money stops flowing in. Just because you can make a lot of money in a short period of time doesn’t mean that you’ll be rich forever.

How Athletes Go Bankrupt at an Alarming Rate

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

I hate what NIL has become, but these rules are terrible and would be blown up in court day one. You can’t restrict someone’s ability to make money off their NIL. That’s how this all started, with the Supreme Court saying as much. Cap won’t happen until the SEC and BG10 crush the other conferences.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football tranfer portal rule changes