Trejan Bridges taking notice

Viewing 1 reply thread

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

This is a guy I’ve been watching very closely. He obviously has interest in Utah and would immediately be Utah’s most talented receiver.

He had some issues while at Oklahoma. Despite that, he is worth taking a chance on just like we did with Carrington. Whitt and Co have a great shot at getting him back on track.

2 4

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

I don’t know who this kid is, but the fact that you say he had “issues” at his previous school would make me reluctant to have him on the team. After the drama that Tavion brought, I don’t want someone else who the coaches need to babysit who might cause a bunch of tension in the WR room.

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

Issues meaning he got into some trouble with the law. Tavion’s issues (allegedly) were that he had a toxic personality. 

Huge difference between someone who got in trouble and wants a 2nd chance versus someone with a toxic personality. 

If Utah can offer a kid a 2nd chance and he helps the team. That’s a win-win.

But, of course he would have a very, very short leash. Which I’m sure was the case with Carrington

It’s worth the risk, IMO.

89ute
          Ute Fan
          @89ute

Net net, I think Tavion was a plus overall. Whitt stuck with him too long at the detriment of the team, but I think Whitt knew that he was TT’s last hope before he was cut loose. My opinion – Tavion ending up being a ne’er-do-well much higher than NFL success.

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

Yeah, definitely a “Last Chance U” type prospect. Im not too familiar with his legal issues while at Oklahoma, but he’s been behaving at his Juco and would be a boost of talent to the WR room. Sometimes the risk is worth it (Carrington) sometimes it isn’t (Tavion).

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

The fact that he’s kept his nose clean while at a JUCO is very encouraging. 

Dallas
          Ute Fan
          @dallas

From an 2021 espn article:

“The Oklahoman reported this week that the two players are accused of robbing, beating and threatening to kill a man, and that police found a .45-caliber Glock handgun and what appeared to be marijuana during a search of Bridges’ apartment.

According to a Cleveland County search warrant for Bridges’ apartment obtained by Sports Illustrated, a man said McGowan was trying to buy marijuana from him via Snapchat, and when he refused, McGowan allegedly showed up at his apartment with his hand under his shirt as if he had a gun. According to the warrant, the man said Bridges then pointed a gun at him and threatened to kill him while an unidentified third person stole a backpack and ran out. The man was bleeding from his head after the altercation, the warrant said.”

UteFanatic
            Ute Fan
            @utefanatic

The allegations look bad, admittedly. I haven’t been able to find anything about how this all unfolded in the courts. Was he actually charged and convicted of anything? Sometimes the initial “reports” aren’t reflective of what actually happened.

Obviously he made some extremely poor choices to even be in that situation. But I don’t think that means he’s a hopeless case.

Some of the best people I’ve ever known would have been screwed if they were judged by something they did as a young adult. 

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

This article is from July 2021.

OU Daily article

PlainsUte
              Ute Fan
              @plainsute

Being the gun man in an armed robbery is pretty bad in my book, doubly bad that it involved drugs.  A check of the electronic records of Cleveland County courts does not find a conviction against Bridges, in fact the incident seems to have been scrubbed, perhaps as a result of meeting agreements of a settlement with the DA?   The only record there is his apartment building suing to kick him out of his apartment as a result of the initial armed robbery arrest wherin they make reference to the arrest.  Records indicate that issue was settled out of court and the apartment complex dropped the suit.

prestitute
          Ute Fan
          @prestitute

Tavion was worth the risk, IMO. I am p**sed that his bad behavior poisoned the well, but 2021 doesn’t happen without Tavion and a chunk of 2022 as well. Some of my faovrite Utes were ‘troubled’ but came out on the other side and really stepped up. Steve Smith Sr. was ‘troubled’ but an amazing dude and great person. Marty Johnson did some dumb things as well. I *REALLY* we would have gotten that 1 year with Josh Gordon, especially if it would have helped him as well. Football is largely about 2nd and 3rd chances, be it performance or others. 
          That said, I would want to know the nature of the offenses and whether he is really willing to try to turn over a new leaf in good faith, but I trust our coaches to vet that. Whitt may have learned a lot from Urban, but I don’t think that he picked up the mentality of letting literal unrepentant criminals play as long as they produce on the field.

PhiladelphiaUte
            Ute Fan
            @philadelphiaute

I tend to look past “drug” or “alcohol” offenses.  But less so for crimes committed with a weapon of any kind (i.e. guns, knives, bats, billy clubs, et al).  Don’t want any “thugs” in our locker room.

AZUTE
        Ute Fan
        @azute

“Issues” is putting it mildly

He’d either be a great redemption story or it blows up in your face

UteFanatic
          Ute Fan
          @utefanatic

I think the downside risk is pretty low. Just boot him at the first sign of trouble.

Ghost of the HEB
            Ute Fan
            @deseretgentlman

I think position matters when calculating the risk. We always have a stable of functional RBs, so it was dumb we put up with Tavion’s shenanigans for so long. Our WR room, on the other hand, is known for being under-talented and under-producing. If you have an opportunity to boost the talent of your WR room, it’s more worth it to take on the risk.

UteFanatic
              Ute Fan
              @utefanatic

I agree. RB is not a position we have to take risks for. I imagine Whitt learned his lesson with Tavion.

On the other hand, Utah will never compete for 5 star WRs via traditional recruiting avenues. Need to take a chance every now and then with guys like Bridges. Utah isn’t the only school that would be willing to do it. Looks like Wisconsin wants him as well.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

I haven’t completely discovered what happened to Bridges charges. But considering what happened to Aaron Lowe it is a hard pass for me. Even if he took a plea in abeyance it means he used a gun to rob someone. It is just awful. 

UteFanatic
                  Ute Fan
                  @utefanatic

Just read a rumor on Twitter that says the charges against him may end up being dropped and Utah will only allow him to join if that happens. 

Just a rumor, though, so take it with a grain a salt. Maybe OnlyU can confirm.

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

I am a definite innocent until proven guilty kind of guy. But one wonders how you get mixed into pistol whipping and kicking someone over them not selling you weed. The amount of witnesses seems staggering. Plus the deleted tweet he sent out. 

UteFanatic
                      Ute Fan
                      @utefanatic

It’s not a good look, I agree.

If Whitt decides to take a chance on him, it’ll be because he spent time talking with him, getting to know him, and will have learned that he was just a kid who made a terrible mistake, shows sincere regret, and has done a lot to try and turn his life around. Even people who make very bad mistakes deserve 2nd chances.

I trust Whitt to make the right call.

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

Looks like he’s quote tweeting a lot about Utah and Pledger seems to be pretty strongly supporting his idea of coming to Utah.

Given his other tweeted options (Tennessee Tech, Abilene Christian, Stephen F Austin) there’s pretty much no doubt Utah would be the top choice for him if we decided we wanted him. That said, there could also be other FBS/P5 options that haven’t made themselves known yet – he seems to have a backer in Chad Bumphis (who is now obviously at Mississippi St) and also has been training with Margin Hooks (BYU guy), but for now I’d say Utah is in the lead if they want him

Obviously in this case, the decision is likely driven more by personal interaction than by talent though, so without being in a room with him and talking the plan with assistant coaches, it’s honestly impossible for any one of us to really opine effectively on what Utah should do.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Trejan Bridges taking notice