Ja’Quinden Jackson could become prototypical Strong Safety

Viewing 4 reply threads

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I realize JJ weighs 229 lbs. But all he’d have to do is lose 10-15 lbs and he’s got the exact body as Harrison Smith. I think Strong Safety makes more sense for JJ than converting him to a LB. With his freakish athleticism and being coached by Scalley, tell me he wouldn’t become a first round draft pick in 2 years at Strong Safety.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Could he play safety well, I think so. I’d rather him score touchdowns, that’s his gift. Offensive playmakers are generally a bigger need for us. Coaches need to figure out how to get him on the field and get him touches.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

They tried, he fumbled, alot.

3 2

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Yeah, 2 carries and 2 fumbles. That did happen. We should give up on him like we did TT.

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

Someone is getting a bit dramatic.  However, if you are putting in a package for a player that package a) cannot cause the offense to lose momentum. b) cannot result in drive killing results.  

I can promise if Tavion had fumbled against USC he would have gone right back to the bench.

Also, can you think of a situation after the USC game where you would have rather had the ball in someone other than Cams hands?  Real question.

Yergensen
              Ute Fan
              @yergensen

Haha, it’s kind of a hot button, but didn’t direct the sarcasm at you.  He hasn’t played a down since, that’s the issue for me.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

Jackson got one play against ASU. 2 and around 13 in the second half, deep in the Utah end. As per usual, he kept the ball on an RPO, nearly fumbled again and did his best Cooper Bateman impression for the rest of the year.

At some point, a QB needs to get other people involved.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

My main concern is if he’s not going to be our starting QB then we’d still be underutilizing his talent if we only used him for a few wildcat packages here and there.

I’d prefer to see him move into a high impact role where he’s a big time contributor. And if it’s not QB, the next 2 best roles would be LB or Safety. And since Safety is more of a position of need than LB and I’d argue a better starting spot for someone switching to defense like Chase Hansen did…he’d make an incredible Strong Safety. Not to mention, this would be what’s best for his future as well. He’s not going to the NFL as a utility knife offensive player in college.

However, I think in an ideal world he becomes our starting Strong Safety and is also used occasionally in Wildcat packages on offense.

Jake
      Ute Fan
      @jutahfootball

I have one reason why he won’t make it as a strong safety. Cole Bishop. He’d have to play free safety or somewhere else. Bishop is better at SS than FS and is the future of the defense.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Ok well whatever the coaches felt would be the best situation for both Jackson and Bishop to succeed would be best. I’m just arguing that we need talent at Safety. And we’ve got our best athlete on the team just wasting away on the sidelines. Bishop and Jackson would make quite the duo as our starting safeties.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Totally agree with you we want to keep his talent first and foremost, but obviously he’ll need to embrace a switch to defense. It has to be hard for a guy who throws and runs for 30-40 tds a year in HS to switch and you really can’t argue with that. As said before I want to see if he can first do some variation of this for us.

At least a utility knife role gets him on the field until the best fit is found. It also doesn’t have to be packages, maybe he could be added to the RB, WR, and TE rotations. With Taysom, the QB isn’t always coming off the field. He’s lining up all over as RB, WR and TE.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Right, but to get drafted as a utility knife player, you’d have to first be a pretty big contributor in college to get on the radars of the NFL scouts, don’t you think? For example, Taysom Hill was BYU’s starting QB and showcasing his athleticism making plays with his feet rushing. I don’t think there have been any college utility knife players getting drafted as that position have there? I was under the impression that they were guys that fell into the category of incredible athletes that weren’t good enough to play QB in the NFL or some other position, but showcased enough athleticism and talent for an NFL to consider them. If JJ only came in for a few Wildcat packages a game, do you think he could get enough exposure for an NFL team to take notice?

I totally agree with your comments about his QB talents in high school. I always hoped he would win the job when we got him in the portal. But given it didn’t happen, that ship has sailed. Rising has been amazing and is clearly our QB for the next 2 years. So with that being the case, I’d like to see him utilized in a role where he can really contribute. At Safety he would arguably have a much easier path to the NFL (IMO) than at QB.

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

Rising’s old enough to declare for the draft now. If he improves next year, I think that will be it for him. I think of the players behind him, Nate Johnson may have the most upside.

Yergensen
              Ute Fan
              @yergensen

True. Examples are Taysom, Antonio Gibson, Lynn Bowden. To your point they all had a primary position in college except Bowden played receiver and filled in as QB due to injuries. None of them filled the role in college that Taysom does with the Saints.

I realize I’m just an armchair QB spitballing solutions that probably don’t have any merit, but hey that’s what some fans do to pass the time.

MDUte
                Ute Fan
                @mdute

I hear ya. Well we’re both in violent agreement that JJ is one of our most talented dudes on the roster and that he needs to be on the field, not the sideline.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Maybe we should give him a shot at WR/TE

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

He’s bigger AND faster than Taysom Hill. That’s the kind of athlete that we’re dealing with here. Could probably play just about wherever he wanted to but If he can’t process and make the right reads at this level he’s got a long road to hoe at QB. Who knows when or if that clicks for him.

Think Bam and his struggles. Literally took over 2 years for the light to go on but now that kid will play on Sundays at some point. In fact without the CoVid year I think it’s safe to say the opportunity might have passed him completely by.

For JaQuinden it’s gonna be about what HE wants to do and/or is he willing to change positions based on the feedback given. Take Carlton this week. This staff thinks he should move inside…he doesn’t so he’s off to find a situation that he thinks suits him better than competing with an established DT group. Sometimes it’s the kid, sometimes it’s his trusted circle. I don’t fault them for believing they can make something happen (just watched American Underdog) and far be it from me to say they can’t.

Bernard had a better shot to make it to the NFL at corner…does he want to try that or finish as an above average running back who’s a great teammate and very good on 3rd down?

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Bernard at Corner? I suppose.,, although the skillset I saw on display at the Rose Bowl says he would be much better as a hybrid safety/linebacker that a lot of teams are using instead of a true nickel.

Bernard is fast but doesn’t quite have the top end speed you would like to have in a lockdown corner, especially if he wants to play at the next level.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

That said, I do expect Micah to be back on offense next season.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

That I fully agree with. Bernard, before he got hurt against wSU, was the most effective back on the roster. In an alternate reality, Bernard is the first option against USC and Thomas gets the same # of carries as Curry for the rest of the year.

When the line couldn’t block air against the parochial school, it was Bernard that had 146 yards on 12 carries. Combined with his receiving skills, that kid has a bright future pending health.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Cole Bishop will be in his way for awhile. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Ja’Quinden Jackson could become prototypical Strong Safety