Utah’s racial and ethnic diversity compared

Viewing 3 reply threads

McBride of Frankenstein
      Ute Fan
      @mcbrideoffrankenstein

https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/2021/dec/racial-and-ethnic-diversity-index.html

Higher score means more diverse. 

Our score: 40.7%

Here are some states are approximate to our level of diversity:

Ohio 40.4%

Minnesota 40.5%

Pennsylvania 44%

I post this based on periodic references to our socio-economic composition which are sometimes exaggerated

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Ignorance is really hard to overcome especially with facts. 

I get Reddit feed emails and it obviously generates interests based on various algorithms it gathers from my usage. I generally use it for gaming and sports purposes. 

But a topic headline had basically the premise of someone moving to Utah and worried they won’t find any friends if they are not Mormon. Now I am Mormon and live in Eagle Mountain and most of the people I consider friends are not church going people or Mormon at all. So it is hard to overcome ignorance and facts never do much to dispel it. 

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

This is true. Ask the average non-Utahn what they think Utah is like and you will probably hear things like: Everyone is Mormon, lots of polygamy, there’s no alcohol, it’s a bad place to be LGBTQ, there are no POC, no good restaurants, there’s nothing to do, etc. Now all of that probably used to be true (mostly), but places change. Those of us who live here know what it’s really like.

We’re all wired mostly the same way. I recently went to Tennessee for the first time and I realized that my preconceived biases about Tennessee weren’t accurate. I found it to be much more cosmopolitan and progressive, and the people were more forward-thinking than I expected.

Bottom line is we all need to be more open-minded and not let our biases drive our thinking.

SkinyUte
          Ute Fan
          @skinyute

As always, the fringe extremes drive overall perceptions because they’re so damn loud and get a disproportionate amount of media attention.

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

There’s also a ton of misinformation being promulgated by haters too.

PlainsUte
              Ute Fan
              @plainsute

Let’s not forget the “fastest growing religion” false narrative.

1 1

UtahMan17
      Ute Fan
      @utahman17

Okay sure but it’s 90.6% white, and 1.5% black. 

Ohio is 81/13 

Pennsylvania is 82/12

People mostly just say there’s a ton of white people and few black people. That’s pretty much true.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/PA,UT,OH/PST045221

1 1

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Don’t ruin this for them.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

Latinos don’t count unless it fits an agenda as usual. That’s literally what Federal Law says too. Ever been asked if you’re a white Latino on a Federal form? I have. They’re minorities for some purposes, and not for others. It puts the lie to the whole notion of diversity honestly.

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Nearly 7 in 10 Utahns 25+ do not have a Bachelor’s degree.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

All states will have a makeup that is much like the previous generation. Migration will continue to be very minor compared to organic growth. The last thing we need to do is move people in and out to seek balance. The critical thing is that we blend in fair ways as we hire, work, and live together. In my lifetime I have seen incredible change in the positive direction in Utah. In many cases near the end of my career, I saw overcompensation to accommodate classes of individuals that in the 60s had a clear disadvantage. The ‘here and now’, although not perfect, is an improvement over 50 years ago maybe more improvement than other 50 year periods in history. For the most part, are we as welcoming and friendly as other states? Are we as welcoming and friendly as our critics?

If I was to relocate, I would look for a culture that is welcoming and friendly as opposed to one just like me.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Utah’s racial and ethnic diversity compared