Would you return to Utah if you were Kuithe?

Viewing 9 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I certainly do not know everything he does nor do I understand what and when he wants to do things.  So, this is only my opinion and I am not suggesting what he SHOULD do.

Me personally, I would stay because there is no way he will be healthy for the Combine or even pro day.  I think he helps his NFL draft status if he stays.

In the end _ I want what is best for him.  If it is best to leave – he should go for it.  I appreciate what he has done for our program.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I don’t think there is any right or wrong answer. I doubt more film against next year’s opponents help him that much. He definitely is going to fall and needs to earn a spot. Rehabbing a year doesn’t help either because he just is competing against younger guys.

Personally I would full on test the waters but not hire an agent? Is that a thing still?

idk can’t really think of what is best.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

If there is a chance he gets drafted, even if in the 6th or 7th round, I think he should go to the league. If he is likely to be a UDFA, I’d consider coming back to the U. Eitherway, I certainly wish the best for him. He’s been an awesome and all time great Ute.

W16Ute
      Ute Fan
      @w16ute

The worst case scenario though is of he came back next year and got injured again. I would take a decreased draft role and get some money and see how it goes… Just me though.

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

I have no insight as to his NIL, but now that college guys can get paid, the NFL is not necessarily the better financial option. It all depends, of course. But there is a risk that one goes to the NFL and never makes a roster (i.e., no $) versus another year in college, during which there is some NIL money and potentially a chance to improve your draft ranking.

All I am saying is that $ no longer pulls only in one direction.

BoiseUTE
          Ute Fan
          @slarson150

I really don’t know a lot about the NIL stuff and the money you can get, but I would think a contact and bonuses from the NFL would be a lot more than anything you could gain from the NIL at the UofU. I too also wish him the best what ever he does. Of course I would love to see him back at the U for one more year.

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

Yes, the NFL $$ can certainly dwarf NIL. But NIL money can also be more than NFL – depends on the situation. My point is that it is not all or nothing in terms of $. Declaring for the NFL does make sense if you are going to get a huge payday, but staying in college no longer means zero $. If reports are to be believed, there are already college players that make more than NFL players. 

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Right, I think it might matter to get graded out in his pre-draft-day status, where its unlikely he can participate in combine at full-speed, etc, compared to where he might be with another full year of college play to showcase, possible All-American award, balanced against the risk of a career ending re-injury or second injury.   Having the NIL helps buffer the financial downside of staying in college, he might be able to afford buying injury insurance with that $$, for example.   Also need to consider his age, whether he has completed a degree, etc.   Not a one-dimensional life decision, for sure.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

I would imagine that he already had gotten injury insurance when he decided to come back. He also has his pre-draft grades from 2021 and 2022 which I’m sure is part of his reason for coming back this year.

Without knowing his injury none of us can speculate whether it would be career threatening. We can only surmise that it won’t help his draft potential. If he was viewed as late round or UDFA prior to the injury, coming back would benefit him in showing that he was fully healthy and had improved on his perceived weaknesses.

Whatever decision he makes, we will never know all of the factors he used to determine. As a fan, all I can do is appreciate what he has done until now and wish him the best in his future. Should he play for Utah again, that will be a bonus.

1 4

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Tough situation getting hurt so early in the season. I know this won’t be a popular Utah take. If it’s an option, Kuithe may be better off entering the transfer portal going to a school like USC, or a higher profile SEC team next season for better exposure. Honestly, I am not sure he’s getting the optimal WR type coaching and exposure at Utah to prepare him for the NFL. IMO, if he plays one more year of college football and the NFL is his goal, he should strongly consider transferring to a team that will buck up with NIL, has more national exposure/catches, and better WR coaching to up his NFL draft profile. If Rising leaves, Kuithe for sure should transfer if he chooses to come back for another year of college football. At this point, I highly doubt Rising leaves Utah for the draft next season so he’s likely back at Utah it that’s an option for him. Rising is an amazing college player, but right now lacks arm strength and accuracy past 20 yards.

I don’t know what Utah’s WR coach does, but recruiting, WR development is not high on his list. Vele and Ennis have given their heart and soul to Utah football, not sure Utah has done much to make them better WRs. What is one more year at Utah going to do to help Kuithe improve his NFL draft profile? NIL and the transfer portal may not be kind to Utah after this season. There’s a lot of good young talent on this team that will be approached by high profile money bag schools Utah cannot and chooses not to compete with for NIL. Like it or not, it’s the college football world now. Just throwing out another perspective that may be an option for him.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

UtahUtesRock
        Ute Fan
        @utahutesrock

I’m going to disagree. Scouts know about him already. If he tears it up for the University that can only help him. However, if I were Kuithe I’d probably turn pro after he heals if that’s the advice he’s getting. Why come back next year and risk another injury before getting paid? I’d love if he came back though, I also wouldn’t mind Covey coming back for another year, or Rising for that matter. Hell, I think Alex Smith has another year still…

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

His injury and end to his season was one of ESPN’s headlines yesterday. He’s square on the radar.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Kuithe sounds slike a LOYAL Ute from his interview today.  I doubt he would do this. 

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I think a large part of this would be how many TEs will go in this year’s draft.  It is not a position that sees a ton of draft picks anyway so it there are already 4-5 top TEs coming out it might be best for him to come back for one more year on the hill.  If this isn’t a deep TE draft then he should probably go into the draft, assuming his knee is healthy which is a huge if.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

I have heard in the past that University’s can purchase specialty insurance for athletes that have a high potential of high earnings. The U may have used this to entice Kuithe to come back.

If that is true, does anyone know if Kuithe had this type of insurance?

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Indeed, NFL scouts should be very aware of his talents and abilities. Wishing him a fully recovery and a long successful career and healthy life. 

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I can’t imagine what I would do if I were Kuithe. I assume that my thoughts, desires, motivations, etc. would be quite different from the ones I have now. It’s an interesting thought experiment, however. To be another person… 

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

As has already been said, I think the NFL knows who he is. His injury might drop him from a 3-4 round pick to a 6-7. I think he should go.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I hate to see a young person that has been working so hard get a career curve ball thrown his way. I don’t know his interest in graduate school. The current hole in the TE room will be much smaller by the end of the year. Hopefully he can find some very good input to help him determine his next step but I think he will likely be on a NFL roster next year.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Would you return to Utah if you were Kuithe?