Your studies at the U

Viewing 9 reply threads

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

Roll call. What were the subjects you read at the University of Utah?

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I read Classics.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Oh yes, the classics, Science Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Business. In the very early years computer science was in the Math dept. An awesome lady, Grace Hopper, finally got her idea of an English based compiler reliable and now the ability to code approaches the ability to read and write in the 17th century.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I do remember the CS program in that little building. 🙂

UteManX
      Ute Fan
      @utemanx

Communication, with a Journalism emphasis. Did a lot of creative writing courses, english, history and of course some arts with video production, graphic design, etc. Now doing marketing and media here on campus.

1 4

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Those are all quite interesting. Good luck in your endeavors.

1 4

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

I also spent a good bit of time in Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology. I miss that science portion of campus.

Waybackutefan
      Ute Fan
      @waybackutefan

Computer science long before the advent of the IBM PC, minored in Huddle science with an emphasis on Foosball and cheese burgers. 

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Excellent. I remember my roommate being so cautious about email correspondence because it was still under the military at the time.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

My first work computer was a GE605. It had 100K of internal memory in an 8 foot diameter rotating drum with visible memory tiles. My first home computer was an IMSI 8080 with 56K of internal memory. Seems small but remember that is OS, programs and data in that space. I shared this with my brother who wrote a complete suite of financial software for Bob Rice, of RES, for his Holiday Spa line on that thing.

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I do appreciate hearing about your personal history. You have lived an interesting life.

dystopiamembrane
            Ute Fan
            @dystopiamembrane

How did you get interested in sports?

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

Coaching with my sons 8th and 9th graders FB. One son coached HS FB. I would never had guessed you could learn so much about FB with those grades. Building to a state championship requires having more to say than try harder. Try haveing something actually useful to say play after play. It takes some time during the season but HS freshmen play a somewhat complete game. The Ute Conference is always in need of coaches because few beyond parents volenteer. Refs are needed as well and a simple motivated person can start easly with 8 year olds and higher if abilities are there. Try it, kids that listen little to teachers or in church will hang on every word a choach has to say so there is quite an opportunity beyond FB to help kids. There is a little league coordinator for every HS and there are as many teams for every grade in that area that have kids that sign up. The A team gets serious by the 6th grade but there are pleanty of B teams for anyone to get started.

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

Electral Engineering, but started as a Chem major.

2 1

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

Did you get the honour of attending lecture from Ronald O. Ragsdale?

utefansince79
          Ute Fan
          @utefansince79

Attended Chemistry with Ragsdale and Physics with Williams (with some interesting experiments).  Any remember the ‘gun’ that fired a large projectile at the stuffed image of Cosmo? 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Meteorology, with some emphasis on computer science.   Age of card decks at Merrill Engineering and 5.25 floppies for some microcomputers for a math numerical methods class.

dystopiamembrane
        Ute Fan
        @dystopiamembrane

I wish that I had been involved in card deck programming. That always seemed like an exciting esoterica to me.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Cards before a terminal with a line editor was something by itself since few had keyboard skills. Making changes to cards quickly that did not have printed characters was an acquired skill.

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

Computer Science. Math minor.

I remember my chemistry class with Ronald Ragsdale and his assistant Jerry Driscoll. I hated chemistry, but they made it tolerable.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Two bachelors: Mechanical Engineering and Math. The two degrees on campus designed to ensure you won’t get laid until after you have a $90k job.

KJU
        Ute Fan
        @kjute

I am right there with you. Got my BS at Utah in Math with an emphasis in Stats. Then went on and got an MS in Stats. 59 and still looking for some. Oh that’s because I am married.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Master’s Degree in Middle East Studies with a focus on Political Science. As you might deduce, it entailed a massive amount of reading and writing.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Bachelors in Economics after switching majors from Computer Science. (Couldn’t do night classes and still graduate with a C.S. Degree.)
      Masters in Business Administration (Executive Program).

EDIT: Incidentally, St. George Ute was in my MBA cohort 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Your studies at the U

• This topic has 24 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 months ago by KJU.