2024 schedule – Hot off the press

Viewing 13 reply threads

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

BYU at SLC on 11/09 – We finish UCF in the last week.

Two byes, one before ASU and one before BYU

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

WTF, we don’t end with BYU or Colorado? What kind of traveshamockery is this?

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

This has been a big-12 thing forever – The red river rivalry was never on rivalry weekend. Actually probably smart since we aren’t going to have to compete for eyeballs with OSU-Michigan, Florida FSU, Alabama Auburn etc..

5 4

AlohaUte
          Ute Fan
          @alohaute

Except that’s because Texas played aTm and OU played OSU on Thanksgiving weekend. We should be playing either BYU or Colorado that weekend. Not effing UCF who none of us care about.

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

That’s not true – Texas played TTU last year, Baylor the year before, and KSU the year before that on Turkey day weekend. Oklahoma played TCU in 2023, TTU in 2022, and OklSt. in 2021 (Bedlam is only played on rivaly weekend halfish the time)

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

IIRC, Texas never played aTm ever since they went to the SEC.

DataUte
              Ute Fan
              @scotwaye

Looking forward to it this year, and yes, it’s the last game of the season

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

Texas/OU was played mid-Oct because of the Texas State Fair

Utegator
        Ute Fan
        @utegator

Hahaha, that was a great commercial.

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Ending with BYU has the makings of a trap game.

Which team is more likely to have a berth in conference championship locked up pre-game? Which team is more likely to be out of the conference championship running by late October and get a consolation opportunity in the rivalry game? See 2018.

SorryWife
      Ute Fan
      @sorrywife

So weird being in the same conference as tds and not playing during rivalry week. But considering the season we can have, I’d rather not play them the final week of the season.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

That works out well in terms of bye weeks.

SorryWife
        Ute Fan
        @sorrywife

tds also has a bye before the holy war. Going to be a toxic two weeks lmao

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

OSU and Arizona back to back to start off conference games will be tough. I like the idea that we ought to be healthier for those games earlier in the season (knock on every piece of wood I can find), but I’m a bit concerned with how it seems to take our offensive line several games to get up to speed.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

If CR is CR our offensive line should be fine by then.

5 1

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Just a quick question…the Baylor game is not considered a conference game, correct?

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

The Baylor game is non-conference next year, correct. KSU and Arizona also play non-conference

2 1

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

I didn’t get the last part. Did you mean that the KSU and Zona games don’t count towards the conference record?

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

KSU and Arizona play each other, but it is also a non-conference game like Utah-Baylor. Doesn’t matter one bit for the conference standings

1 1

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Narf is correct. There were a number of PAC/Big 12 games on the schedule for 2024 and not all of them could be eliminated or incorporated into the conference schedule. The Utah / Houston game became a conference game as did Utah / parochial school. Utah / Baylor stayed as a non-con so that Utah would not have to find two new opponents.

K State / Arizona also anticipated issues finding opponents so that game stayed as a non-con also.

7 5

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Tradition and rivals are dead. To continue to pretend like it exists in college football is just silly.

Playing AT UCF to end the season sucks.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

This is the most favorable schedule Utah has ever had in the P5 era by a long shot. It’s CFP or bust without a doubt.

I like that TDS is so p**sed the rivalry game isn’t the last week. I couldn’t care less when we play them. Going to DisneyWorld with my wife and kids that final week of November sounds great to me!

Go Utes!!

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

Traveling that week is what puts pause in my plans, even with parents that live in FL half the year, 2 cousins that went to UCF. It went from me traveling to having to consider taking the whole family but it’s also the start of my Senior’s last basketball season so she will refuse to go. So either split family or watching this one on the couch. Was looking forward to @UCF, if just about any other week. And good luck with the crowds at Disney that week. Yikes.

3 2

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

A little bit off-topic but, actually, T-Giving week is probably one of the best times of the year to go to Disney. And I say that as a guy that for years lived 45 minutes away from WDW. Most people don’t see T-Giving as a time to go to the parks so you’re only dealing with locals, foreigners, and the occasional out of towner. Also, by that time of the year, temperatures cool down significantly in Central Florida to the point that you need a jacket at night (mid to high 50s). I’m planning to go to this game basically because it gets me back to my home state, the kids won’t miss any school, and who doesn’t like spending time with the family at the parks. A possible undefeated Ute team playing it’s last game of the regular season is just a bonus.

DataUte
              Ute Fan
              @scotwaye

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

I’m not calling that assessment into question but I base my comments on actually living in Florida and going to the park during the times mentioned. I also spent the last week of last year in LA and was told to expect “massive crowds” at Disneyland and California Adventure. Sure,, there were a lot of people there but nothing like the “downtown Bangkok” feeling that a lot of these websites tell you to expect.

4 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Holy S**t. UCF’s schedule is so easy. Ours isn’t that hard, but theirs is a cake walk. They get BYU and us and Colorado at home. No Oklahoma State…and everyone else kinda sucks in the Big 12.

They should be in the conference finals.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Zona/ASU play the last weekend, but Kansas/K State play mid-season. Just don’t have all the natural pairs like we did in PAC12 with LA, Bay Area, states of Washington, Oregon, Arizona with Utah/Colorado being odd teams out. Rivalry week really won’t mean much now in the coming years. Not just in the BIG12 but in other conferences too. Too many long term rivalries (Oklahoma/OSU for example) being split up.

NarfUte
        Ute Fan
        @narfute

Once NU-OU and Texas-ATM broke up the conference has been all over the place for rivalry games. Cougarboard thinks Harlan and Whitt made sure the game wasn’t on rivalry weekend because we have so much pull over Yormark, which is hilarious

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Probably better for TV to have them spread out, but I don’t like it. But I’ll deal with it because I’m a fan. I’ll just act like an entitled brat for a little bit, stomp my feet, and nothing will change. Ok, I’m just visiting my 2 and 4 year old niece/nephew, so maybe it’s rubbing off.

12PAC
      Ute Fan
      @12pac

I’ll say what we’re all thinking- this is depressing. Our new conference mates may hate it, but its true. You can’t replace the near-perfect conference we had with this, and pretend they are somehow equivalent. Just look at the home schedule. Not to mention, as an academic, the University affiliations actually mattered (I know, no one cares).

But I’ll go silver-linings. Our program is in a position to excel with this group. So I’ll get my ass on board and stop complaining.

3 1

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Couldn’t agree more. It’s beyond depressing to look at in comparison to what we had with the PAC. The B12 SUCKS A$$!!!!
        Praying this purgatory at the Kiddie Table is somehow short lived!!!

2 3

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Totally agreed. It was so easy to go to road games in the PAC-12. Everyone was so close.

@Oklahoma State – no thanks.
        @Houston – eh
        @UCF – Ok Disney World is there…oh, you put it the weekend of Thanksgiving when Disney is packed? No thanks.

Bleh.

Our best home games are TCU or BYU…back to the MWC we go…

1 2

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Disney is not packed during Thanksgiving, or at least any more so than any other time of the year…trust me, I’ve been there more than once. It’s not at all like the Christmas time period or any time during the summer. Those are the times when Disney is truly well packed.

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

I think you are wrong. They are all bust all the time.

2024 & 2025 Disney World Crowd Calendar (best times to go)

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

Hmmm, all I can tell you is that I’ve been to Disney World multiple times in my life during the T-Giving period…the last time a couple of years ago. I would ask where are all of these massive crowds going to come from since in Florida and nearby locations, schoolkids only get Thanksgiving and Friday off, not the whole T-Giving week like some schools here in Utah.

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Am I seeing this right? Nine conference games, PLUS Baylor as a non-conference?

What has happened? Certainly not as tough as nine Pac-12 conference games, but really nine?

jelmstreet
        Ute Fan
        @jelmstreet

Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone at all on this Hub that Baylor is being scheduled as a Conference game. It was announced months ago when Big-12 scheduling started that it was going to be that way due to the difficulties of having to try to reschedule both Baylor AND BYU from non-conference to conference. You can’t just plug and play anybody at any time when such a drastic of a change as a conference realignment occurs.

jelmstreet
      Ute Fan
      @jelmstreet

Orlando the last weekend of November sounds nice to me. 🤷‍♂️

//r00t4Utes
        Ute Fan
        @r00t4utes

Yeah, with that travel distance it being the first or last game of the season is ideal, IMO.

And it being November is a plus on the heat index/weather

Distantute
          Ute Fan
          @distantute

Ill be at the ucf game. I like schedule. If cam is healthy have an outstanding shot at the 12 team playoff. Glorious!

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I really could not care less when the game with the Y is. My first thoughts were 5 on the road and 4 at home, the bye weeks, everyone has two this year and ours are spaced well, the games I am concerned with – Az, Ok State, and TCU – are one home, two on the road. As for Big 12 rival, I want to see who becomes the greatest challenge to us getting to the CCG. I resist making the game with the Y anything more than another Big 12 game. Potential road games, UCF with grand kids or TCU and the Stockyard with adults. It is what it is for the next few years.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Well this is just a shame for TSPP, especially given their claims of being the $70M “money shot” addition of the B12…

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

I changed your “X” link to a twitter link. X links won’t embed.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

Thanks Tony. Is there a way to embed “X” links? I’m assuming we shouldn’t use the “Twitter Bird” button anymore?

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2024 schedule – Hot off the press