At what position is TDS better than Utah?

Viewing 5 reply threads

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I really don’t know TDS players other than Wilson. I know they have a stud on the Oline usually. Sitake usually fields a good dline. Mostly with players Utah recruited to. Other than that I can’t think of anyone. WR might be a wash but head to head I like Utah’s defensive backs against TDS wideouts vs Utah’s wideouts on TDS midget DBs.  

This Running back they brought in could do Utah some harm. Felt like when Wilson ran it hurt Utah the most in last years game. Last years game is such a hard measurement because it was just an awful game plan and where the game was scheduled. 

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

The only one that I can think of is kicker just because we don’t have one yet…maybe oline

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Well Whitt said we have two and one is the starter right now. It is just like when Gay took over. But you hope we have one capable. I am not worried. The blocking for the kicks needed to improve from last year. Utah had way too many blocks. 

ALUF
          Ute Fan
          @dbgii77

I just hope we don’t have to use the kicker as much

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

Center(Empey), OG(Hoge), TE(Bushman has a slight edge right now).  They have other good players, but none that I would say are for sure better than ours.  Kaufusi could end up being a really good LB, but I wouldn’t trade either of our starters for him.  Their best player is probably DT Tonga, he would be in our rotation but wouldn’t start.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I am really excited to see Ludwig use the TE. I just don’t think TT knew how to use them very well. 

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I think you are spot on.  We could use Empey and Hoge.  Tonga is a great defensive lineman that would be in our rotation which says a lot.  I like the Warner kid on defense, but he probably would not start.

BYU’s defensive backfield may be their best in years, but we have a great backfield.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

Empey vs. Fotu and Penisini?  What the hell are you smoking?

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I don’t think he is saying Empey wins the matchup. I wouldn’t mind Empey on our line though. 

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @rickyrules

We would have had if Kalani didn’t pull Daddy over from the high school ranks.

RiseasUtes
          Ute Fan
          @riseasutes

Reading comprehension fail.  Looks like you’re the one smoking if that’s what you took away from what I wrote.

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @rickyrules

It said has a slight edge?  Over whom?  Their own depth chart?  They aren’t playing themselves.  

RiseasUtes
              Ute Fan
              @riseasutes

The OP asked what positions BYU has better players than us at.  Empey, Hoge, and Bushman are the guys that I think could start on our team.  I don’t think any other guys on their team would start for our team.  I wasn’t referring to any matchups.

HCHooligan
        Ute Fan
        @hchooligan

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

Tonga is consistently over weight and out of shape. Plays one play takes the next 3 off.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

As a group, the OL at the Y may be a group that is more ready to go week 1 than our group. We have unknowns that may come together to change that but they need to be answered to get there. We all know the possible reasons Utah may not have been focused last year, however given that their OL pushed us around and opened holes for average RBs for 3 qtrs., I am waiting to see us deal better with their OL and get ours going.

Gary Sapp
        Ute Fan
        @uofuman

Legit concerns. But regardless their O line has to face our D line, whereas our O line only has to face their D line after having practiced against ours for a month. Who do you think will really be more ready?

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

Did you not see the blatantly extreme holding by byu-p’s OL, above-&-beyond what’s typically expected from an OL?

They absolutely didn’t push us around…..Instead, they held on for dear life, literally…..No way their inferior players beat our DL straight-up.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Utah DL just destroyed BYU in the second half. And in more than one occasion in the first. Wilson was slippery that game.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

O-Line, maybe, but TDS O-Line vs Utah D-Line, where it matters, not so much.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Yeah this is my conclusion as well. Matchup wise it isn’t comparable not even close. 

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

My concern is what should happen does not always happen. Against the same DL last year they opened way too many holes against us which was probably why we so often gave up contain to plug the middle. Much speculation about why but it was there. I expect different but we need to handle their OL from the beginning to be better. Our OL did not dominate, again that should change but it has not changed until it does.

I expect to set the picture right this year but that involves controlling their OL and getting ours going.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

2018 is an outlier game though statistically. It is so hard to measure it rationally. Utah put the pedal down and crushed TDS. 

ladyinred
      Ute Fan
      @ladyinred

Missionary.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Ladyimred just won the joke of the season award. Shut it down.

ladyinred
          Ute Fan
          @ladyinred

I can always be counted upon for meaningful contributions to the board.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

Ohhhhhhh s**t. Amazing.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Boom! Welcome back!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football At what position is TDS better than Utah?