Bees

Viewing 12 reply threads
      6 3

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

agree or disagree
      moving the Ball park to Draper is a big mistake?
      the Mayor wants this area for more apartments, that is all she has done since she has been in office.
      her husband tried to yank Glendale golf course off the map for a large complex a few back!

crying shame in my onion

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I don’t get what the buzz is about.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

I see what you did there.

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

I’m just winging it. I’ll show myself out.

4 1

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I think pro-sports teams are almost always better downtown in a city. Especially in Salt Lake where SLC is central to the population center with Ogden area to the North and Provo to the south. But it is minor league, so it’s probably not as big a deal.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Arlington Cowboys, Santa Clara Niners.

It definitely isn’t a rule.

prestitute
          Ute Fan
          @prestitute

I am a huge Niner fan who grew up in Santa Clara County (Los Altos). I think the vast majority of Niners’ fans hate the new location of the stadium. Candlestick was a dump, and barely in SF, but at least it was there. The new stadium is nice, but it was a huge mistake moving it all the way to the south bay. Now, the Giants and Warriors did it right. Oracle Park and the Chase Center are great locations (I am sad that the Ws are out of Oakland, though). I went to a Ws playoff game last year, and it was awesome being in the city right after the game and being able to get around with public transit. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I thought they wanted to move it to Daybreak, not Draper. 

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

We went to one or two Bees games a year. I won’t ever drive out to Daybreak. I don’t care if the Yankees or Red Sox came to town to play them.  But, theres a ton of people moving in out there, so maybe they’ll find a new group of fans.  

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

We have a few family members on the west side.  (One in Daybreak, another a few miles west of the Mountain View Corridor.)  Have a long gauntlet of traffic lights to get out there for a visit.  Even once the MVC is made into an actual freeway (can’t happen soon enough, mistakes that in most intersections cause a fender bender are often deadly on that road) people from Magna and Herriman will be able to get to the new site easy enough, but going to be tedious to get there from the east side or middle of the valley.   (And while I take TRAX regularly to events on the Utah campus and downtown Salt Lake, many are simply not inclinded to take the train). 

They may indeed gain some fans out on the far west side of the valley, but will potentially lose many others. 

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

My dad would take me to see the Gulls when it was Derks Field back in the day.  I’ll miss that location, but hey, whatever they can do to see an increase in attendance is fine by me.  I’m only good for one game a year so it doesn’t really affect me one way or another.

UtahUtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahutesrock

They are moving to DayBreak not Draper. I do think it’s a mistake though. We couldn’t move out of that area fast enough, the traffic is murder at rush hour. During a game I can only imagine. 

4 2

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

I think it’s awesome. We are in herriman and will definitely go to the games. . The old location is a crime infested hole no offense to anyone around there.

5 1

therealu
        Ute Fan
        @therealu

Same. Looking forward to taking the kids, I guarantee the attendance is going way up.

And if it turns out that the rumor Ryan Smith is going to buy the Angels and this will eventually be an MLB stadium, I may have to start caring about baseball. 

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Who is she, Al Czervik?

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

No such thing as too many Al Czervik references…. haha.  “You wanna make $14 the hard way”?

6 2

12PAC
      Ute Fan
      @12pac

Ridiculous. Live in the Marmalade and work downtown. No interest in taking my two young boys out there. 

Our 8-10 games a year will now go to U baseball games. And we see the SF Giants at Spring Training and 8-10 times a year in SF. 

Baseball belongs downtown- inclusive of the entire community. Including our crime-infested parts. Never been afraid to have those discussions with my kids. Much trickier to explain the ethic of Daybreak and its model citizens. This move alienates a good number of us. 

1 1

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

Draper is a boring wasteland.

I have a great memory or two of watching the stadium’s fireworks from the patio of Lucky 13. Those are the type of “city” experiences that Salt Lake already so desperately lacks. This very well might be a good move for attendance but I can’t really get onboard with increasing the sprawl of an already sprawl-sick city.

2 7

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Love the move, and absolutely love what Mendenhall has done as Mayor. Ballpark is a s**t hole location that’s overran by homeless, crime, and drugs. The whole area needs to be bulldozed.

4 3

prestitute
        Ute Fan
        @prestitute

Or maybe better serve the people in those areas instead? Screw this attitude of s**tting on the homeless. It is shamefull! It is hard work, so we won’t end up doing it, but that area could be great. Instead, we will bulldoze and gentrify it like all over the valley. It is gross.

2 2

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

A block North of the stadium, Major Street, had multiple residences burn down due to squatters occupying the abandoned homes. Please tell me who wanted those homes torn down? Was it the outsiders trying to save everybody thinking they know what’s best for an area they never lived? Or the people who do live in the area???

1 1

prestitute
            Ute Fan
            @prestitute

And the answer is to bulldoze and displace so we can see the cycle repeat but just a little further south or north like we did with pioneer park? Got it. 

The outsiders who never lived in the area will come in, displace and build expensive apartments instead of what the areas need like is happening all over SLC (and most of the country). Lack of economic opportunity and services plus indifference from those with the money and power to do stuff in those areas is what causes and allows these issues to propagate. 

Reconstruction and rehabilitation of an area is a lot different than ‘Bulldoze It All’. Where do you think those people go? What is the outsider talk? I lived in and paid taxes in SLC. I don’t live there anymore, but I spent plenty of time in and around that area. Do you live in that area now, and if so what have you been doing to fix it, or are you an outsider, too? 

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

Saw an idea on Twitter that I really think has some merit to it. 

Build the stadium into an amphitheater. 

https://twitter.com/TheJazzyUte/status/1615911003946090501 

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

They are moving to Daybreak in South Jordan.  Not Draper.  It will be between the Mountainview Corridor and the UTA Trax station in Daybreak.  If you look at growth patterns for the area it kind of makes sense.  Daybreak alone has over 70,000 residents and the growth rates of South Jordan, Riverton, West Jordan, Herriman, Bluffdale, Lehi, Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mountain are astronomical.  If SLC was serious about keeping it there they should have at least tried doing something with the surrounding area near Smith Ballpark but they kept letting it run into the ground.  Snooze you lose.  

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Bees