Coach Smith

Viewing 4 reply threads

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

Ian and coach K are gone folks, lets move on.

Give Mr Smith a chance, and see where things are in 2-3 years. 

do we really want kids here because of the daddy caoching ties?

Anfernee
      Ute Fan
      @anfernee

But… he’s already been here for like two months! 😉

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

No Way! We need football off season doldrum drama from the BB to kill time until football starts rolling around :)!

1 3

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

6’9” 5* PF Patrick Baldwin Jr just committed to Milwaukee university of the Horizon league because his Dad is the HC Coach there.

So yeah if it means a package deal to get top recruits you do it.

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

Since when did this Daddy coaching thing happen? I don’t like it!

AZUTE
          Ute Fan
          @azute

It goes all the way back to Kansas hiring Danny Manning’s Dad

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

I can understand the “everyone is doing it, so we also need to do it” perspective. But I am not sold on the idea that hiring a kid’s dad to get a top recruit is a good thing for a team. I think it could result in a cancer on the team. Too much risk for conflicts of interest, special treatment, etc.

Frankly, I would be embarrassed if I were the kid. I would not want to play for a school that hired my dad as a way to sign me. Nor would I want to play for my dad in a competitive environment (even if he had been hired long before my recruitment). I would want to make my own path without any hint of favoritism. But that is not for everyone.

belli1976
          Ute Fan
          @belli1976

I found that professional basketball coaches in Belize (Costa Rica isn’t too far away) make $6000 to $30000 a year. If there is away to help your family, you don’t think any kid would get their dad a coaching gig???

1st world problems.

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

To each their own. I would be embarrassed if I were the dad or the kid. The dad should get a job based on his merits as a coach; not as a handout to gain favor with his son. If I were the kid, I would be embarrassed that  the only reason my dad got a job there was as a bribe to get access to me. 

Johnny
            Ute Fan
            @johnny

Good Lord. Are you comparing Puerto Rico to Belize??? LOL Get out and see the world, man

1 1

belli1976
              Ute Fan
              @belli1976

It is Costa Rica, not Puerto Rico. Perhaps learn how to read before criticizing.

Johnny
                Ute Fan
                @johnny

My bad, I’m mixing up players with the coaches. Even then, Costa Rica is worlds apart from Belize. Belize is one of the poorest countries in the region with half the population under the poverty level. Costa Rica so different than Belize. 

Besides the point, the hiring of player’s dad to land the player is weak.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Ultimate in helicopter parenting!

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

But what if the Dad didn’t need a job but needed a car upgrade? Much less money.

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.