Everyone should reserve USC predictions until the transfer portal is finished.

Viewing 8 reply threads

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Things could change mighty fast if they get some key transfers, and not just Caleb Williams. Look at what Kiel McDonald did in the transfer portal last year. Thomas, Pledger, Curry. USC could load up mighty fast. Plus, they’ll likely see a bump in morale from a new and better coach with their existing highly recruited players. Imagine being the first USC to lose 5 of 7 home games last year in the colisium in who knows how long? They could come out with a chip on their shoulder and some motivation to go from worst to first. They have nothing to lose this upcoming year and everything to gain.   

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I’m just glad we’ll have them at home this year. If we’re going to make a splash, 2022 is the year to do it.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Honestly, everyone should reserve all predictions until the transfer portal is finished.

USC could clean up. But honestly, I think Utah will too. There’s never been a sexier time to join the Utes. They will attract a lot of attention among those upper-echelon portal players.

All these “way too early top 25” lists that come out right about now that have always been the rage…they were utterly worthless before the portal existed. Now they’re even more worthless.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I agree.  I think that a new coach will change the culture immedietaly.  I expect USC to be a different team.  I do not expect them to be in the top-ten next year, but I would not be surprised if they go 9-3.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

9-3 is anywhere from 10-18 in the final regular season rankings on average. SC misses both Oregon and Washington in crossover games and has a nice run of opponents before finishing with Notre Dame. I’m actually struggling to find 3 losses for them next year just based on the schedule and assuming competent coaching. USC Schedule

OOC – Rice, Fresno, Notre Dame.,, all home
        Road – Stanford, Oregon State, Utah, Arizona, UCLA

Even if you project them losing to Utah at RES, they still have a schedule that would have them 10-1 facing Notre Dame at home. That would put them around the top 5 with the Pac wrapped up and an OOC win from getting into the CFP. SC is going to be scary next year. Gettable, but scary.

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

I know it’s different with a new coach coming in, but every single year USC gets all the attention. “this is the year they turn it around” ” just look at their roster, its full of 4* guys”.  I’m sure they’ll be better, but let them earn it. And the championship goes through SLC

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Yeah, I would never underestimate USC simply because of their talent. I think it’s pretty well accepted that they will be better next season. In fact, I think their floor is 8 wins.

But, USC has not lived up to its potential for over a decade now. Riley has a good track record and was probably the best possible hire they could have made. But, he took over an Oklahoma program that had been performing very well under Stoops. Right now, USC is a broken program and will go through some growing pains. Riley needs to demonstrate that he can actually build a program before I buy into the hype. I just don’t think they go from 5 wins to plowing through the conference in just one year. I could be wrong, but I very much doubt it.

And, I don’t care how much they improve, they still have to play at RES every other year and I like our chances against any team at home. We just went toe-to-toe with one of the best programs in the country. An improved USC doesn’t scare me

Lastly, USC improving is not a bad thing for Utah. It’s a great thing for Utah and the entire conference.

Enjoy it. The P12 is going to get a lot more attention this upcoming year.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

All the pressure is on Lincoln Riley and USC. No question Commissioner K wants USC and UO back in the CFP picture. Next couple years tells us a lot if and how Utah grows capitalizing on this years recognition/exposure. Transfer portal is a game changer for teams like Utah unable to recruit consistent 4 star recruits out of H.S. Utes could load up on some high level talent in areas of need for next season. Hopefully some of these kids roll in before Spring ball. Might want to start with a new STs coach as well.

If the dysfunctional conference leaders cannot get the CFP fixed in time and the the current system stays in place for another four more years would not be surprised to see a significant decline in college football viewership. Go Utes!

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I think you’re giving Riley way too much credit. It takes time to build a culture to get everyone to buy in. SC will always have talent. Will always be more talented than Utah that will never change. What he did at OK was great. But that was in Norman, OK where people live and die with football. Not so at SC, guys have other plans. You have to have some team guys not a bunch of diva stars. Guys have to buy in. It’s going to take time….. At the very least a year. Will they be scary. Sure. Will they be better than last year yes. Are they a contender no. Utah has the culture. Utah’s guys are all in and have the experience. And SC is coming to RES. I’m not worried about SC at all next year. In the future. Yes. Riley may be building a juggernaut which is why next year is so important.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

I am with you.  Riley is NOT a proven program builder.  He inherited a very healthy program from Stoops.  OU went 11-2 overall and 9-0 in Stoops last year (Stoops worst season was 10-3 over 10 seasons AND he won a national title).  Riley just picked up where Stoops left off and quite frankly did absolutely ZERO improvement over Stoops.  They just maintained under Riley, which is fine when you are already at or near the top, but the folks here that have annointed him as some kind of program builder or savior are just purely guessing at best because he has no track record of doing any of that.

Will USC be good under Riley?  Probably yes.  However, since Pete Carroll left, they have had two hot shot up and comers in Lane Kiffin and Sark and both failed miserably.  I am just not willing to annoint Riley just yet and neither should anyone else.  For me it would be different if he took over OU with the same troubles and issues that he is going to face at USC and turned it around but he just simply didn’t.  

Kirk Kettner
      Ute Fan
      @cwatkins02

McDonald didn’t recruit Tavion. 

Tavion sent his tape to Zack Moss who sent it to coaches and advocated for him 

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Kiel McDonald going to USC is not that big of a loss. Dude is trying to better his career, good for him. Recruiting RB has never been a problem for Utah. More concerning will be if KW does not fill the position in the next couple months.

1 1

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Ok, so Tavion recruited himself and Kiel McDonald, the running backs coach, had nothing to do with it. 

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Everyone should reserve USC predictions until the transfer portal is finished.