Formation Rules

Viewing 4 reply threads

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

I know there are some rules in football about formations and eligible receivers. 

Other than goal line jumbo packages, is there anything that says we couldn’t run a 4 or 5 tight end set? We ran a lot of 3’s last year.

Not saying this would be an every down formation, but have to wonder about the size and blocking nightmares this could create for the other teams. Also, I suspect we’ll see more FB blocking if the Idaho guy performs as expected. 

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

TE’s are usually slower then WR’s, and OL can only block for so long. Passing lanes tend to get pretty crowded with a bunch of short routes.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

There’s no rule that says we couldn’t have 5 TE’s on the field at one time. Just have to make sure you have the proper amount of players lined up on the line of scrimmage and in the backfield. 

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Good point. Not all would have to run routes.

What about a quick pass with trips tight ends blocking for you? I think Ludwig ran one goal line play similar to this last year. 

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Screw it, let’s just go single wing!  

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Football has some of the weirdest rules…

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

There always is 5 eligible receivers on every play (6 if the QB throws a backward pass). You are free to put anyone you want in those positions. Any eligible receiver can get involved in blocking for a run but what makes TEs unique is they are big enough to block down after down but also a threat to catch a pass. The TE becomes even more of a weapon as they develop WR skills while keeping lineman skills. A very difficult assignment for the defense is to play a TE on the line of scrimmage and not knowing if you will need to shed a block or play coverage. Multiple TEs multiply the problem. It is difficult to have several TE good enough that you are not giving something up with one of the options. Utah had several TEs good enough this year. I think 3 somewhat a limit because the next one causes you to take the RB or a WR off the field. You could only take the RB off if you are running wildcat with a running QB. You want to leave a WR in to gain a difficult defensive assignment, 1 on 1 or even better require a safety to help. With 3 TEs, Utah was playing a game they practice and play most the time but the defense is playing something new the week they played Utah. I think it is like playing a team that runs the option, they are good at it and you are new at it. 3 TEs with both skills sets is wicked good already.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Charlie is correct. The only rule about formation that matters for this discussion is that you have 7 “on the line of scrimmage”. I put it in quotes because in a typical formation, your linemen stagger a half yard back from the ball. So guards would be 1/2 yard behind the ball, tackles a full yard and TE’s could be another half yard back and still be within the rules.

The only other thing that matters is that a lineman must “check-in” as an eligible receiver due to their jersey number. So if you ran unbalanced where the last person on the LOS to one side is a lineman, it has to be announced to the other team as that lineman could run a pattern and catch the ball.

Otherwise, the OP is just talking about which players occupy which positions which doesn’t matter per the rules. For the 2021 version of the Utes, they could have lined Kuithe up at QB, Kincaid next to him at halfback, Fotheringham as an inline TE, Yassmin as the H and.,, shoot, I’m running out of TE names.,, Nuimatalolo split to one side (opposite Fotheringham on the line), and O’Toole flanked to the other side (Fotheringham side, one yard behind LOS). That would put 6 TE’s on the field at one time while staying within the rules. I wouldn’t recommend this as a normal formation but I could see some value for a goal-line, 4th and inches or 2 point play assuming you were ok taking the ball out of your QB’s hands.

You could also do the same thing with linemen occupying the skill positions as long as they all check in as eligible receivers. Why not run 11 @ 300+ pounders if we really want to go jumbo?

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Great points and insight Charlie and 2008. 

Agreed. Wonder if there could be some value in specific situations. 

I love the jumbo sets. We have the size for them and it fits our MO of physical play and running the football. 

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

TE will continue to be a strength. We are yet to see Yassmin and Barton, if he plays TE, would be awesome. Kendall from the portal may be very helpful, and there are young guys.

247 does not show anyone enrolled, I wonder what new guys will be here in spring practice. There are a few that I want to see where they land.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Formation Rules