Friend of mine- former coug fan…he's had enough

Viewing 11 reply threads

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

Had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine the other day. He’s giving up on the Y. He also had an interesting story that sheds light on the arrogance of their organization.

His wife’s cousin is a top 5 qb in the state, he is one of the top punters, and also used to play safety. He and the top 5 qbs went to byu on a recruiting trip and they took him to studio C
      Ty Detmer said he hadnt watched any of their film and asked why they thought BYU should choose them

they said we are not interested in giving any scholarships, but if you get an offer from Utah, come talk with us
      He then goes to Utah, not really interested because he was a cougar growing up
      They take him through all the facilities, they asked to see him punt, and play catch and were like, we will find a spot for you
      gave a bunch of swag, and what is interesting is all 5 of them were talking after and they said Utah talked about the LDS culture more than BYU, and whit was like bearing his testimony basically

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

Testimony or testicles?  I hear he works out a lot.

sweetgrass
        Ute Fan
        @sweetgrass

I hope as those recruits leave Utah, Whitt lifts up his pant leg and says, “before you go check out these calves”

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Very hard not to notice them.  They are the largest thing in the room. 

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Which is odd because I don’t think Utah has necessarily dominated in-state recruiting.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

No scholarships offered from TDS because they aren’t polynesian 😉
      I’d be interested in what prospects are told about the TDS Honor Code, both officially and what they are told by current players.

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

He’s giving up on the Y

I think more Y fans than we know are doing this – I’ve almost got my older brother and cousin to flip, both have been die hard Y fans all growing up. They’ve expressed the same fed up attitude and mentioned they might just become an Oregon or BSU fan, or even (half-jokingly) a Utah fan… I pressed hard but for now they remain loyal to the Y.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

This doesn’t shock me at all.  Detmer has to be a complete buffoon when it comes to recruiting. 

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

That line probably worked in the late 80s when Ty Detmer was recruited, but the world has changed since then.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Here is some reality:

BYU was built on beating up lesser teams.

If BYU went back to the MWC, they’d get back to winning 10+ games a year and everyone would be happy.

But they are too proud to admit that, thank heaven.

Had BYU stayed in the MWC, they would have buried Utah and possibly be in the Big 12 now.

Imagine when Utah went 5-7 and 5-7 if BYU was winning 10, 11 games, playing in BCS bowls and getting publicity.

How could the Big 12 say no to them? Hell, I’d bet they go with TCU the first time around. But, alas, they were too proud.

Too proud to be left behind. Too proud to get the same deal as TCU.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

I wholly agree with @utah The coogs were there own worst enemy here. They would have been (and still would be) far better off in the MWC. Sure, the TV revenue might not be as much, but they would have a conference affiliation/championship to play for, and with the way the bowls are set up, there is a very good chance they would be getting into big time bowl games as the best of the non P5 schools. And, yes, then they most likely would have been invited to the Big12. Too proud.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I had a friend who had a similar experience recently with his son who just got back off his mission.  Almost the same exact thing happened with him.  

Duhwayne
      Ute Fan
      @duhwayne

Recall that TCU was furious when BYU left. They move to Big 12 AFTER independence. MWC was swapping out Boise for Utah. They would have qualified under the old BCS formula.

Not only did none of them get into BCS, BYU tried to break the conference. Why do people assume they can go back?

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Same thing happened to my brother. He went on recruiting trips to the U and Byu (as well as other schools) and Byu was the only school that didn’t offer him a scholarship. They also didn’t actively recruit him because he’s LDS. They just figured that he would come to them and walk on….

Stone
        Ute Fan
        @stone

Where did your brother end up?

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

For those who dont know what Studio C is…

https://www.facebook.com/StudioCtv/

It’s a bit weird that they used that piece in their recruiting… but then again, it is TDS that we are talking about..

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I don’t understand what it is but I’m guessing that’s a good thing.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

I still don’t get it. It’s a Facebook page?

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo Friend of mine- former coug fan…he's had enough