How do you feel about the hype going into the 2024 season?

Viewing 17 reply threads
      5 4

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

It’s great to be in the CFP conversation and strong favorites to win the Big XII, but is the hype making anyone nervous? It might be justified in a way, but should we be the overwhelming favorites entering a new conference (and playing with a target on the back)?
      I definitely see us as a strong contender, but don’t think we’re leagues above OSU, KSU, KU this season. 11-1 is a possibility, but so is 9-3, with 10-2 being more realistic. This might be enough to put us in the CCG, but no guarantees.
      Regardless, the “CFP or bust” hype is a bit anxiety-inducing, maybe because we tend to perform better as underdogs.
      How are you feeling about all the build-up from the media and fans?

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

Injuries happen to every team and Idk if this team is the same with an injury to rising or to spots in the defense

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

The hype isn’t making me nervous; I think Whit’s leadership and coaching style will prevent the team from getting ahead of themselves. However, there are a few things that are making me temper my expectations a bit:
      (1) Cam’s health throughout the year. There’s a high likelihood he misses at least some time. But the news of Huard transferring in makes me feel much, much better here.

(2) Kuithe is not going to be the same as his old self. I think we all need to recognize this and not have lofty expectations. However, the TE room as a whole has me really excited.

(3) I’m not completely sold on the RB room. Last year the RBs *rightfully* looked pretty average as defenses sold out on stopping the run. I’m hopeful Cam being back makes the RBs shine once again and we have a clear RB1 step up at the beginning of the year.

(4) We lost a lot in the secondary. Replacing Bishop and Vaki will be difficult. We brought in some fantastic dudes here – hopeful that the drop off isn’t too big.

If all things go as hoped and we avoid the injury bug hitting us hard, the hype will be warranted imo.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I love the hype and the high expectations. I realize it makes Utah fans uncomfortable since it’s new uncharted waters for fans of the program. But if we want to continue climbing and take the next step in the evolution of the program, Utah needs to lean in and embrace who we are today.

Utah is no longer the underdog. We’re no longer the little engine that could that’s disrespected by everyone. We’re no longer the team that sneaks up on big dogs, punches them in the mouth, and surprises everyone with upset victories. And we can no longer rely on playing with a chip on our shoulders to win big games. Utah is a perennial Top 20 program in the country and has been for a decade. We’ve played in 4 of the past 5 CCGs, won 2 P5 Championships back-to-back, and even came 1 CCG away from making the 4 team CFP. Whether we as fans are willing to accept it or not, Utah is now the flagship program in the new B12. All the national media point to Utah as the program to beat. With great success comes higher expectations, so now it’s Utah’s opportunity to prove itself and live up to all of the hype. We need to learn to play and win as front runners. No, we aren’t a blue blood program, not even close. But it definitely gives me a newfound respect for the blue bloods who have to rise up to the challenge each year of playing with the bullseye on their backs. We used to talk about how hard it is to play a P5 schedule where if you don’t come to play each week, you’re going to lose. Well it’s that much harder when every team has your game circled on their schedule as their biggest game of the year and comes in all fired up to take their best shot at knocking you off. Utah has to embrace this new role/challenge and put teams that are beneath us in their place, shut up their crowd, and make it clear who’s above all the rest. So yes, I love all this hype and couldn’t be more excited with where the program is today. It’s absolutely incredible how far Utah has come in such a short amount of time! But I will say that Utah has already began proving we can live up to expectations. For example, when Cam led the team into the Swamp coming off the 1st Rose Bowl year, Utah was expected to win that game and start the year off with a big win in hostile SEC territory. Even though that game ended up a tough loss, IMO Utah showed we were for real that day. Florida had heard all summer long how Utah was going to come in and beat them. Their team (full of 4 and 5* dudes) and their entire fanbase had that game circled all off-season long to knock off the new P12 Champs. We took Florida’s best shot that day and Utah proved to me that the program has risen to a level where we can go toe to toe with anyone, in any circumstance, and win. And to be fair, we left 14 points on the field and should’ve won handily…but even in defeat, Utah showed me we’re ready to take the next step as a national contender. This year’s schedule is the softest we’ve ever seen in our short history as a Power program. So I’m not at all afraid to say it’s CFP or bust this year. Because it’s absolutely true. If we don’t win the B12 this year we should all be devastated. But there isn’t anything negative about having high expectations set on the program. It means Utah is relevant! It’s huge national exposure for the program which leads to better recruiting and kids wanting to come to Utah who wouldn’t have considered us before. It translates to higher amounts of donor money coming in each year which in turn leads to better recruiting. All of these things are huge positives. So at the end of the day, I say lean in and embrace this new rarefied air Utah finds itself in. There’s 120 other programs that would kill to be in our position. There’s never been a better time to be a Ute. And I, for one, plan to turn in another 12th Man of the Year performance cheering on the flagship program of the B12…Go Utes!!!

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Good points, @tanute3. You pretty much summed up my feelings / reservations.

stbone
      Ute Fan
      @stbone

I worry less about the hype than about not being able to seize one of the opportunities that we are being given. The program is where it is today because we won a handful of key games in key seasons. Without ’04, there would have been no ’08, and without both ’04 and ’08, there is no PAC-12. We have been so close to reaching outlandish heights, but the Rose Bowl losses, although great publicity for the program, still hurt as lost opportunities.

With the new landscape, we need to be in the playoffs regularly, and need to make noise in the playoffs. That is a tough path, but it is our best path.

Again, I don’t worry about the hype, I worry about not capitalizing on the opportunities that we get.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

I feel like this is a very strong team, that should be right at the top of the conference this year if the UBoyz can stay healthy. I don’t think the competition is anywhere close to the Pac the last few years.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

It is great for media exposure, but I hope it doesn’t go to some of our fan’s heads…

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

I keep things in perspective.

Utah might be the odds-on favorite to win the conference, but using the betting odds that were given translates to about a 23% chance of Utah winning the conference. The next most likely is Kansas State which is about one percent lower. BYU (LOL!!!) has less than a one percent chance of winning the conference.

So, that means that there is a greater chance that Utah does not win the conference than winning it, even though Utah is the favorite.

Then again, these are just numbers and just odds, and anything can happen, I am sure Whitt doesn’t care about the odds, and has a solid goal to win the conference.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

Never tell me the odds!

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I don’t like hype. For any team, any sport, at any level. I know sports hype is a multi-billion-dollar business, but it’s one I refuse to participate in.

There is too much statistical variance in sports to predict it with any level of accuracy, even for experts. And that’s especially true in football where there are so many injuries.

Just win your next game and things will work out.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

LOVE IT! I’m a fan and I’ve dreamed of this kind of stuff my whole life. I’m going to listen to every podcast, watch every hype video and live it up and hope we do it!

Used to be when I was a kid that I dreamed of not losing to UTEP and beating The TDS.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Potential injuries aside this is a special team, talent laden and deep. Young in some spots sure but if they’re starting on this team as RS Frosh or Soph’s they’ll play on Sundays.

I’m optimistic about this group…but I’m also a realist and that is why I’m gonna say THIS IS IT!! This is the year it all comes together. The schedule lines up (a few tough spots no question), more offensive weapons with real experience than we’ve ever had. Returning multiple 5th and even 6th year Sr’s including your QB, which is unprecedented and a stable and very experienced coaching that has coached in multiple national level games the past 5 years!

If not now, when?? It’s gonna be a great ride…one week at a time!!

KoolWhitt
          Ute Fan
          @koolwhitt

Onlyu, with the QB room seemingly set after today, what other position groups do you think we are still trying to bolster through the portal?

Reports that Utah contacted Badger once he entered the portal – which if true wouldn’t have happened until after Alford signed – seem to suggest we might be looking for one more WR?

Some of us were surprised we didn’t pick up Davon Booth from Utah State; do you feel we are set at RB or are we after someone else?

There’s been some suggestion that Utah may be a sleeper to secure Cormani McClain. I think he’s a long shot even if we are after him, but regardless, do you think we bring in one more guy in the secondary?

Thanks as always for your thoughts!

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

I’d expect an add on the O-line…Koli might very well have been the “best center” but he probably wasn’t in the top 7 as an overall offensive lineman if that makes sense. Still would be good to add another body imo.

I know there is excitement around Mitchell and Stanley to go with Micah and Glover but I still think we’ll find an RB from somewhere.

Maybe a corner, maybe a WR, maybe an experienced LB but we don’t need any of those until an injury happens.

With Huard on board my biggest concern is at safety. I think Tao is going to be very good but I’m not sold on SS until I see Ritchie/Hall/Gilman with more quickness than I saw last year. There just aren’t many glaring holes on this team so I think you’re selective in the portal and only bring in guys that you can’t say no to…

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

“THIS IS IT!!”.. straight up inject that into my veins

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

HELL YEA!!!!! Thanks Onlyu!!!

5 3

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

I hate hype. I think Utah is better as the scrappy underdog with a chip on their shoulder (ala Steve Smith)

I hope they prove me wrong and live up to this years hype

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

I don’t hate the hype, but the kind of fan I am, I find it easier to embrace the underdog role.

7 1

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I don’t hate hype, I just don’t trust it. I’ve been watching football pretty regularly for over 50 years and, if I had a dollar for every team that I’ve seen come into a season with hype and then proceeded to s**t the bed, I’d be having c**ktails with Ryan Smith. I much prefer to take the season one game at a time and give each opposing team the utmost in professional respect. Remember, your opponent also has a vote.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

It was George Patton who reminded us, the other side will have a plan also. Someone in conference always has a development no one saw coming.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

He also said, “no plan survives first contact with the enemy.” The only thing to expect is that something will happen that you didn’t expect.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

I prefer noted philosopher Mike Tyson: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

Yeah, I like that one too and it’s true…

Smack
      Ute Fan
      @smack

How do I feel? Short answer: Great!

But I always feel great about the Utes. As some of you know, I never pick against the Utes, and my optimism is nearly boundless. Never give up, never surrender! Haha! 😆

This is going to be a great year! Go UTES!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Injury bug hit hard last season. Utah did reasonable well considering all of the problems.

I am not hyped. Really looking forward to seeing the team play.

Red Rhino
      Ute Fan
      @ryanute

For me personally, hype sets me up for a big mental fall if we lose. It usually takes me a week to recover. However, for a program, hype is terrific. Hype helps with recruiting, with tv ratings,with accolades and with rankings. For years Notre Dame , USC, and Michigan lived off of hype generated from previous years of success. It used to drive me crazy that USC and Notre Dame were always ranked pre-season while Utah struggled to climb into the rankings. It is so remarkable that Utah now finds themselves in this position. It is a great thing!

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

You nailed it, @RedRhino! I’m far too invested, and not falling for the hype is just my way to cope. But I agree that it’s terrific for our program, and I love it when the pundits talk about our program.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Of course Utah is not a slam dunk for the B12 championship. Not perfect at all but likely is the best chance to win it all. The other contenders have their issues as well so the hype is relative to the other choices.
      Texas and Oklahoma are gone.
      UofA rebuilds again this year. Some of the players will be playing for their third different staff. Their surge was in no small way due to Fisch. They play the favorite, Utah, on the road as well as TCU and KState.
      Kstate, co-OCs are strange. A new Wells did well at USU but maybe that had a lot to do with Love. Love is all you need. Kstate does not play Utah, who benefits the most?
      Kansas, lots of offense, needs to find a defense. Also co-OCs, remember Grimes? He is also new.
      OSU, also needs to find a defense to match their offense. OSU does play Utah at home
      West Virginia, had a run at the end of last year but really needs to find a defense. UofA on the road.

The contenders to Utah are probably 3, maybe 4, of these. The others, not so much. All need to have their replacements to work well and have their thin spots. Utah will likely improve over last year’s team more than the others. So, who is it that would be more favored? Like Utah, non are on more than a single game winning streak.

4 3

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

Unfortunately, I can’t say I’m hyped. I was hyped the last 3 or 4 years and just feel let down every time. Don’t get me wrong, winning the PAC was great, but Cam should have been the starter from game one instead of the transfer from Baylor. The following year, the Utes needed help and backed into the CCG all because Oregon couldn’t tackle on something like 17 or 18 straight runs against OSU. And last year, we were promised Cam, and it never happened. Add on top of that going to the B12, and it’s just hard for me to get excited. Don’t get me wrong, I am trying to feel the hype, but it’s just not there.

I expect a ton of down votes and will gladly accept them for my pessimistic attitude.

6 1

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Whenever the hype starts getting to me, all I have to do is think about the 2019 PAC 12 CCG. All Utah had to do is beat an Oregon team that had nothing to play for to make the CFP. We all remember how that went but I had front row seats to it and the PTSD that comes with it.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

2010 TCU. Miserable day. I still feel bad for the husband in NEZ when his wife flashed everyone.

1 1

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

That one too…but I will say, that was a pretty damned good TCU team with Andy Dalton as the QB. They were actually ranked higher than Utah going into the game (#3 compared to #5 for Utah). But yeah, that game and the Boise State game in 2006 and the Oregon game last year are the biggest ass whoopings I’ve seen Utah receive at RES.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

Yeah, that 2019 CCG was brutal. I went to the 2018 game. The Utes D only allowed 3 points. The problem is that the offense allowed 7. That was a miserable game. I felt bad for the players on Utah’s D. They held UW to 3 points and still couldn’t win. Too bad both Huntley and Moss were injured, but here we go again with another injury story.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Two words on the 2018 game…Siaosi Mariner…without that bizarre interception by Byron Murphy, Washington could have been playing until today and wouldn’t have scored a TD.

Washington’s Byron Murphy makes remarkable catch for pick six versus Utah

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Sooo much had to go wrong on that play for it to turn into a pick 6. Mariner fakes a vert and 2nd round Murphy goes to the ground. Normal coverage Murphy just breaks that pass up but instead he’s the exact 3 steps late he needs to be to take a once in a decade bounce to the house.

At least half of the UW starters that day ended up in the league and Utah played them to a standstill.

Uteanooga
        Ute Fan
        @uteanooga

I enjoy the hype though I don’t think it translates very well as a predictor of actual success.

The real issue is staying healthy. In our best years, starters played the whole season. How can you predict whether your starters will avoid injury? You can’t. Simple as that.

Utah looks to have a ton of talent and I love the hype. Utah has the best coaching staff that we have ever had. Take the top 5, 8, or 10 guys off of the team and then what do you have? Probably something like a running back (who is himself dinged up) playing corner against a future 1st rounder. That was not pretty though we still limped across the finish line into the Rose bowl.

As for the hype? Yes! Should one expect a championship? Nope.

Just try and enjoy the ride!

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

Agree.

Uteanooga
            Ute Fan
            @uteanooga

For what it is worth, I thought Cam’s throwing motion was still a bit janky at that point. I’m not sure that he was completely healed.

Mixing a prolific passer with a mandate to not throw interceptions is always going to be unpredictable- especially without dominant WRs. The Brewer games were pretty ugly but they gave Cam more time to recover.

Cam being healthy enough to do his thing = the whole kingdom.

stbone
        Ute Fan
        @stbone

I have fallen into the same trap over the years of being let down when the team lost big games. One difference between now and some of the brutal games of the past is that, in the past, I was counting on miraculous events to occur so that we would win, whereas now we have the talent that we can compete and win without miracles. These miraculous events materialized enough that I bought into the hype, but eventually, talent reigns supreme and all hype dies.

For me, that was the big difference between 2018/2019 P12 championship games and 2021/2022 P12 championship games. In 2018/2019, while we were almost there, we weren’t the better team. We “could” have won either game, but our talent didn’t, across the board, match out opponents. By 2021/2022 we had significantly closed the gap, and were, in ways, the more talented teams.

I am excited about this team (not hyped). The excitement is based on strong past performance, and a constantly increasing talent level. We should, consistently, be the more talented team on the field throughout this coming year. So, absent freaky ball bounces and key injuries, we should win the Big12 and should be in the playoff. (I am also prepared for disappointment).

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

This is the year. Love the hype. Have to take it one game at a time… Thank the lord we have KWhitt. The only man alive I’m convinced that is the same day in and day out despite the money and fame. He preaches the one game at a game mentality. Even better CR believes it also.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

In society, we have become too much of “all or nothing” and “black and white” while life is nothing but different shades of gray.

ENJOY IT. Preseason hype has LITTLE to do with how the season will pan out and everything to do with they type of program, reputation, history and respect you have. There is a reason why Texas and ND are top 25 every year then fall out quickly. People care about Texas and ND. You put them in the top 25 and you get people talking.

Utah is entering that realm. We aren’t Texas or ND. But we are a perennial top 25 team that generates discussion when we are brought up. There is only about 15-20 teams that do that.

Proudly proclaim that we will win the Big 12. Let Kansas St and BYU whine together and talk about how awful we are. All you have is this moment. Enjoy it.

Maybe Utah goes undefeated. Maybe they don’t. But right here, right now, that doesn’t matter. All that matters is we are perceived as the top dog in the Big 12 and we should enjoy it.

Charlie Foxtrot
      Ute Fan
      @charliefoxtrot

I like the hype and think that on paper Utah is probably in the drivers seat in the fist year in the Big 12. I do worry about potential match up issues with opponents that we haven’t faced before or in a long time (OSU, TCU, Iowa State, UCF). Sometimes even though you have the talent another team just has a scheme or a player or two that just causes problems with your strengths on either offense or defense.

Last year with the QB situation we didn’t have an offense that could keep us in some games, and at some point the defense is going to get worn down and give up points. I am hoping that with Cam back Whit puts the boot on the throat of some of these teams instead of going into protect the lead and get conservative mode. Running up the score may make some of the Big 12 fan bases hate us, but if the CFP is the goal this is the year to do it.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

In case anyone’s UteHub filter setting doesn’t include the “Professional Sports” topic…here is the survey link that came out to vote on Utah’s NHL team name.

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football How do you feel about the hype going into the 2024 season?