Pass Rush

Viewing 5 reply threads
      1 4

Jay
      Ute Fan
      @utahhhh

Tough pill for many to swallow but our pass rush has taken a step back this year, with no one making up for Anae leaving. Pass rush has been one of our biggest weaknesses this year, which puts even more pressure on our young DB’s when Qb’s have plenty of time to throw. Even Whittingham has expressed frustration over lack of pass rush this year. My biggest fear is that one of our young talents like Fillinger, Carlton, or Suguturaga leave while sitting behind Tupai and Tafua who haven’t been impressive, especially when Tafua has been starter for 2 1/2 years now and has 6 total sacks.

Consensus seems to be that Tafua is an edge run stopper, while Tupai/whoever is playing on the other side is more of the Bradlee Anae pass rushing type, but obviously those are hard shoes to fill. I’m sure someone will emerge next season as a pass rusher, we have a lot of talent and excellent DLine coaches.

2 1

dystopiamembrane
      Ute Fan
      @dystopiamembrane

I agree with you.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Tupai and Tafua are upperclassmen, they will have to move on from the program eventually (and sooner rather than later). I don’t see Fillinger or Carlton leaving after 4 games as true freshman. The expectation was not for them to come in and start day one anyway.

I know people might be concerned after seeing Brumfield and Wilmore enter the portal, but this situation is completely different. Those guys were beat out for playing time by a true freshman, they knew their reps were going to be limited going forward. Fillinger and Carlton are in the opposite situation, their reps are only going to increase as time goes on.

Jay
        Ute Fan
        @utahhhh

I agree that I don’t see them transferring out after this year but you never now these days, the portal is getting crazy. But tupai and tafua will come back next year, and possibly another after that for Tafua, and they have not shown to be elite pass rushers like we’ve had in the past and I think we need to move on from them sooner rather than later and give the younger guys a chance because tupai and tafua have had multiple years in the program already and have not been impressive.

Crazyforu
          Ute Fan
          @crazyforu

There is a lot that goes into Morgan, and Kyle’s defenses. I don’t claim to know exactly what they are doing right now, I know in the past the DL job was to runnel rushers to the LBers, which limits they amount of sacks they get.

I think you are pushing the alarm a bit here, for no apparent reason. Sure, some of the young guys could leave, whel Kyle could also be hired to coach the Dallas Cowboys, there is really no indication of either happening though.

I really think you are looking at the D at face value, and forgetting that 9 of the 11 starters from last years D are gone! Throw in the fact that most of them aren’t just on a roster, they are actually playing a bunch as well. Throw into the mix the amount of youngsters that are being mixed in, with no real spring ball, a really strange fall camp, and an even stranger “season”, and this is what you get.

KiYi-Ute
            Ute Fan
            @kiyi-ute

These are great points. Something else to consider is that we are blitzing far less this year and really only rushing 4 on a majority of defensive snaps. We’re doing this to give as much support to our secondary as possible. It makes it harder for the pass rush to get home if we’re not also bringing an LB or CB/Safety on a blitz package.

Sure, the pass rush was going to be down this year. But considering that we lost our all-time sack leader in Anae, and one of the best DT combos we ever had in Fotu/Penisini — I’d say we’re about where we should be right now in this crazy year.

The pass rush will be back.

Jay
              Ute Fan
              @utahhhh

Fair point, and I completely agree that our pass rush will come back no doubt, just not with the two starters we have who have had many opportunities to prove themselves and have not, and think we should move on to find the answer.

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

I’m sorry, did you not watch the UC game? Tafua and Tupai played really well and received high PFF grades.

Jay
            Ute Fan
            @utahhhh

I’m more worried about them leaving next year than I am this year, I don’t see them leaving after just 4 games when they got some playing time. But Tupai and Tafua have been with the program a couple years, and Tafua is starting in his 3rd year this year and still has not shown pass rushing skills, which you cannot blame on offseason weirdness.

Utesbyfive
              Ute Fan
              @utesbyfive

Defensive linemen don’t start overnight. It takes some time to work them into the scheme, and have them learn the playbook and improve their technique under our coaches mentorship. I have confidence that with our success with D Linemen, they will start to rotate in, and will start when they’re ready. I also think they have no intention of leaving, given our reputation for getting D Linemen in the league. I think you’re worried for nothing at this point. They will be COVID “True” freshmen next year, and that’s when the clock starts.

Jay
                Ute Fan
                @utahhhh

Tafua and Tupai have been in the scheme for forever, 3 years starting is a whole lot of time, not overnight. They need to step up or be benched.

Utesbyfive
                  Ute Fan
                  @utesbyfive

Who do you replace them with?

Jay
                    Ute Fan
                    @utahhhh

I would give Fillinger, Carlton, and Suguturaga more snaps.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

Totally different situation than the RBs.

The younger DEs have had opportunities. They have played. They have not proven to be more effective. In contrast, the upper classmen RBs played and got beat out. The upperclassmen DEs have not been beat out. True, they have not been racking up sacks, but neither were the young guys. Also, the defense has been great. Sacks are fun, but there are many more metrics that make for a strong defense. 

Chilly
        Ute Fan
        @chilly

Am I correct in my understanding that Fillinger and Carlton will be able to count this season as a red-shirt year due to the fact that they have only played in a few games?

PNW Ute
          Ute Fan
          @pnwute

This year won’t count against anyone’s eligibility, regardless of how much they play. Every true freshman this year will go into Fall 2020 as true Freshmen, even if they played every snap of every game this year.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

They dont burn a red shirt year. Say they get injured next year, then they can take a redshirt year. This year is a pass

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

Agreed.  But if you remember correctly, the D line started really slow in that regard last year as well.  They will get better.

Jay
      Ute Fan
      @utahhhh

My point is that tafua and tupai need to step up or get benched and give the younger guys opportunities because tupai and tafua have had plenty of them.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

If by “misunderstood”, you mean “noone relates to you because your point is rediculous”, then you are correct. Your point just doesn’t make sense.

Jay
          Ute Fan
          @utahhhh

How is it ridiculous? Where is the production from Tafua and Tupai?

gUrthBrooks
            Ute Fan
            @hammer

Utah likely needs a speed rusher for 3rd downs. But when you pick up one end of a stick, you pick up the other. Utah is #4 in the PAC 12 in yards allowed and points allowed. Considering that Utah has played 3 of the top tier teams in the legue in 4 games with no gimmies, it’s a solid stat. Our DE’s contain and shut down the rush. So there’s production there. 

1 2

Jay
              Ute Fan
              @utahhhh

Completely agree our run stopping has been fantastic as usual, just wish we would get more pressure on the QB.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Carlton and Fillinger have gotten some reps.  They have gotten destroyed in those reps by legit D1 tackles.  They didn’t have Spring ball, Summer weight training, or a legit Fall camp to grow.  Right now they are 220 and that won’t cut it, the Washington tackles had them on skates and it was noticeable. 

Tafua is going to play in the league because he is a great complimentary DE to a pass rusher who excells at setting the edge and getting leverage on run plays.  He is a big part of the reason we have the best run stopping defense in the conference.  I won’t go so far as to say your point is rediculous but I will say it shows a lack of understanding.

Jay
          Ute Fan
          @utahhhh

I’m speaking more in terms of next year so hopefully the younger guys would have excelled with having a real offseason training, and yes to be fair Tafua is more of a edge run stopper, we still need a pass rusher is what I am trying to say.

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

If Tafua doesn’t declair for the draft (where he will be a mid to late round pick) he will still be the strong side DE until such a time that he leaves the program.  You are highly critical of Tafua without seeming to understand that schematically the Strong Side DE is not your “pass rusher” in this Defense.

Jay
              Ute Fan
              @utahhhh

I think Tafua sticks around another year. But don’t you think he should be put in a pass rushing position if he is more capable? Would it not be more beneficial because we do not struggle with run stopping?

gUrthBrooks
                Ute Fan
                @hammer

Last year, Tupai was in as a pass rusher on many of the 3rd down plays. The guy is a bowling ball. But perhaps he’s lightning for a couple plays and doesn’t have the stamina across an entire game?

Jay
                  Ute Fan
                  @utahhhh

That might be true, used to see better pressure from him in years past, and it may have been why he did not receive as much playing time, and why he gets rotated out a lot this year.

Hellhound152
                Ute Fan
                @hellhound152

Tafua is not a weak side end.  He does not have the explosion or length to be anything more than a servicable weak side end.  He is an elite strong side end because he can hold the point of attack.  Removing that anchor will create a struggle in run stopping.  You don’t take a player who is elite at their position and move them where they will be less effective.  Tafua may be a better pass rusher than Tupai or anyone else on the team currently but nobody else can play Tafua’s position at an elite level.

I like to pretend that at least on some basic level that Scalley and Whitt know what they are doing with personal.

Jay
                  Ute Fan
                  @utahhhh

Sounds like you think the issue is with Tupai?

Crazyforu
                    Ute Fan
                    @crazyforu

I hope you are trolling. If you truly believe what you are saying, you don’t understand the way a DL functions. As was mentioned above, probably not the best idea to put in your undersized true freshman over these dudes right now. 1, they are TRUE FRESHMAN, and will get worked by more experienced players. 2, they are true freshman, who still need time to get more weight/muscle/technique/practice/and on and on.

Lastly. With the amount of new guys on the back end, Utah can’t overload the line with bodies, and leave the secondary vulnerable. There is a deliberate reasoning for the way Utah does things. Also, it won’t be every year that Utah loses all their starters in the secondary to the NFL. This is a strange year, in a million ways. No the “issue” isn’t Tupai, or Tafua. They are actually part of the solution of what Utah is doing.

Are they Bradlee Anae and Leki Fotu? No. They still are solid players, that are far from the “issue”.

Jay
                      Ute Fan
                      @utahhhh

In terms of the true freshman I was talking about next year, not this year. Tafua seems to be the edge run stopper, but we still need a pass rusher. My whole point is that neither is a Bradlee Anae, and I’m saying that we need one, if we don’t have one, then I guess we don’t have one yet, but I bet we’ll see someone emerge next season.

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

@Jay

I can tell you don’t know much about football, at least not about the defensive line. Going through all of your comments, you keep saying we need a pash rush. We don’t have a pass rush. Tafua isn’t a good pass rush.

Look, our all time sack record holder just got drafted. It’s 2020. This year sucks, and has had a negative impact on the development of players around the country. Has cut into practice and development time for players.

Mika Tafua has been excellent. He has been one of the highest PFF graded defenders for Utah the past few weeks. Just because he’s not getting 10 sacks a game doesn’t mean we don’t have a pass rush. There’s something called pressuring the QB. Mika has been phenomenal in this category. And just because he’s not constantly sacking the QB, he’s forcing the QB to make quicker decisions which a lot of times equates to a poor decision being made. Mika Tafua has played a big part in the opposing QB turning the ball over at least a few times this season just because he’s putting so much pressure on the Quarterback.

Relax, we are a lot better than our 2-2 record says. We were the last FBS team in the country to play a game this year. Our defense has never been this talented, and we are starting up to 6 true freshman on D. The pass rush you so desire will come. Just be patient, they call us Sack Lake City for a reason. Don’t let 4 games in 2020 make you think we will never have another Nate Orchard/Hunter Dimick/Bradlee Anae. If Fillinger or Carlton don’t end up becoming the mayor of Sack Lake City, there’s a guy named Tyler Wegis that we recruited in that same class, and he’s going to give nightmares to enemy QBs after spending a few years in the Utah system.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Tupai needed to stay around 250 lbs and play fullback… He doesn’t have the right measurements for DE in the NFL.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Just trying to get my language ready for Christmas in Spanish Fork.  haha

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.