Potential 2024 2-deep

Viewing 10 reply threads

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

Lots still in motion, but this isn’t a bad team (as always if injuries aren’t excessive). Still could use WR, DB, QB2. Lines look pretty good. Secondary a little younger and injuries could make it tough.

Someone with better FB knowledge can comment on all the mistakes and who should be where, but a pretty senior-laden team going into the Big 12 isn’t the worst way to join a new conference.

Pos Player 1 | Player 2 | Player 3
      OFFENSE
      WR-X Parks, Money SR | Mbanasor, Sidney RS SO | Williams, Zacharyus FR?
      WR-Z Caldarella, Luca SR/TR | Zipperer, Daidren SO | Washington, David FR?
      WR-R Pittman, Mycah RS SR/TR | McClain, Munir RS SR/TR
      LT Fano, Spencer SO | Lomu, Caleb SO | Kaumatule, Falcon RS SR
      LG Kump, Jaren SR | Moea’i, Solatoa SO
      OC Faaiu, Kolinu’u RS JR | Maea, Johnny SR
      RG Mokofisi, Michael RS JR | Harrison, Alex RS SR
      RT Togiai, Tanoa RS JR | Garcia, Isaiah FR
      TE-Y Suguturaga, Miki RS SR | Ryan, Carsen JR/TR | Bentley, Dallen JR/TR
      TE-U Kuithe, Brant SR? | King, Landen RS JR/TR
      QB Rising, Cameron RS SR/TR | Rose, Brandon RS SO | Wilson, Isaac FR
      RB Bernard, Micah RS SR | Anthony Woods JR/TR | Glover, Jaylon JR; Randle; Stanley

DEFENSE
      LDE Fillinger, Van RS SR | Fano, Logan SO | Nawahine, Gavin RS SR
      LDT Tafuna, Junior SR | Pepa, Simote RS JR
      RDT Tanuvasa, Keanu RS SO | Fotu, Tevita RS JR/TR
      RDE O’Toole, Connor SR | John Henry Daley SO/TR | Lea’ea, Jonah SO
      ROVER Reid, Karene SR | Calvert, Josh RS SR/TR
      MAC Damuni, Levani RS SR/TR
      STUD Barton, Lander JR | Fotu, Sione JR | Calvert, Josh RS SR/TR
      LCB Johnson, Kenan SR/TR | Blocker, CJ SO | FR?
      SS Hall, Johnathan SO | Allen, Briton RS SR/TR
      FS Ritchie, Nate JR | Allen, Briton RS SR/TR
      RCB Vaughn, Zemaiah SR | Davis, Elijah RS SO
      NB Johnson, Tao RS SO (moves to S?) | Snowden, Smith SO

SPECIAL TEAMS
      PT Bouwmeester, Jack JR/TR | Becker, Cole SR/TR
      PK Becker, Cole SR/TR | Cheek, Joey RS SO
      KO Becker, Cole SR/TR | Carter, Chase SR/TR
      LS Greep, JT SR | Castor, Logan RS SO
      H Bouwmeester, Jack JR/TR
      PR Pittman, Mycah RS SR/TR | Davis, Elijah RS SO
      KR Parks, Money SR | Davis, Elijah RS SO

cj13
      Ute Fan
      @cjohnsen13

I expect Tao to move to safety. It would be nice to get an experience OL, WR, and a backup QB. Another DB would be nice too and I think we are in the running for a Big12 championship. If we can get pre 43-42 USC game Cam Rising with no brace he’ll be a top 5 QB again.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Based on what? Don’t you think Hall and Ritchie have that locked down? I have no insider information, so you may be right? My casual fan opinion would be that Tao Johnson moves to corner.

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @utebiquitous

Scalley and Johnson himself have said in news stories that he’s been getting reps in practice and in a few games at nickel, corner and at safety. Miles Battle complimented Johnson’s on-field intelligence and work ethic in a recent story.

It will be interesting to watch spring competition in the defensive backfield. I tend to think Hall will move to safety creating a strong three-man (or four depending on the transfer) rotation. I also wonder if Ritchie moves to linebacker over the next season – not out of necessity but just his size – 6’2″ 200+. Could he get to 235 and keep most of his speed?

Total speculation on my part and it’s certainly a bad idea to put weight on a frame that cannot and/or should not handle it.

I just think we’ll see Johnson at safety or corner next season.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

Neither Hall nor Ritchie are top level Free’s, just like Vaki and Bishop weren’t. I’d think that’s where Johnson would go and the other two would split time at Strong. If Johnson can provide Blackmon level play at safety that would help a lot with Scalley’s scheme.

stbone
            Ute Fan
            @stbone

I agree 100% that Johnson has a much higher FS ceiling than either Ritchie or Hall. The thing that keeps me thinking that he might end up at outside CB is that outside CB is more valuable than FS. I think it becomes a tricky decision as to where Johnson plays, depending on what the next best player is showing. I hope we find a good enough outside CB that Johnson can play FS.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

I’m not sure the average fan realizes just how tough it is to play corner. Especially the press man coverage Utah prizes. It’s the one position on the field where you can do everything right and still get beat. The reason I pointed out Blackmon is that he wasn’t a pro prospect at corner. But once he moved to Free and spent the majority of every play facing the QB, his talent got him into the 3rd (?) round.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

As important as Rising is his Oline is probably my second concern.
      My other thought is I really hope Barton is able to come back and perform. Probably the most important piece for that defense this season. I also want Barton to ball out and go pro.

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

I think you will see Tao move to safety. This is a pretty good looking starting team. I worry about depth, especially after this season. Hopefully we will start seeing some fruits from the portal very soon!

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @utebiquitous

Pretty impressive two-deep. A couple of thoughts. I’ve heard some talk that Togiai could end up at an opposite tackle spot to Fano. It will be interesting to see how the line shakes out. I think Lomu moves into a starting spot somewhere. On paper, I love the O’line depth.

I hope Logan Fano returns this season but it’s nice to see the kind of depth that can deal with his absence perhaps well into the season. I hope he plays some just from an experience standpoint since we are senior-laden at the starting ends.

As said above, I think Tao moves to safety or even to one of the corner spots from nickel. The coaches want the best players on the field and Smith Snowden is proving he belongs out there. I think Smith starts at nickel. I like our two-deep at the corners.

Linebacker will be interesting, won’t it. I think Damuni is a better backer than Reid which may sound ridiculous to many of you given how well Reid plays. I wonder if Scalley plays more traditional 4-3 this season, especially with the running emphasis of several programs.

The biggest need in my opinion is a receiver who can take the top off. I think Money can do this, but it would be nice to have someone on the field every play who is a deep threat.

Thank you for taking the time to lay this out.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I think McClain will play as much as other WRs.
      Yes, Lomu will work his way into the OL.
      Pittman just may have a whole season and surprise.
      Center, I am not sure this is figured out but it will be a priority.
      King may play as much as any TE.
      DE, Fano will be back to playing as much as any DE.
      Pepa may surprise and demand equal time.
      Johnson will be in front of Hall in a three man safety rotation.
      Snowden may start at CB and I expect to see Blocker get into the rotation.

Next, I expect all 4 transfers to get time and may move into rotation, must be big in the spring to do so.
      I think there will be other transfers will as well. Hopefully more that come to spring practice.
      I think Wilson will go right to work in summer and grab QB2 only because I didn’t see Rose force his way off the scout team.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Great insights. That’s good to hear that we have depth enough to push the 1’s or have good rotations to keep players fresh (or overcome some injuries). Especially good that OL, TE, DL, and even secondary have that. Seems like we have enough S/CB starters with 1-2 that are practically the same level, but would be nice to have a little more depth in reserves.

I find a 2-deep kind of hard, esp. on the lines because it’s more a pool of talent that could be 4, 5, 6 deep that naming starters at positions aren’t as useful until games are actually played. Could interchange some Tackles/Guard sides on offense or DEs (rotation and side) on defense. NB vs CB, etc.

I hope all transfers came to play and are at least a ‘2’ and rotating in and contributing, maybe even a ‘1’ (esp. Johnson). Would be great to get a few more guys to challenge into the 2-deep – would be a good place to be. If Isaac earns his way to QB2, great (in case Rose disappoints). Still hope Rising is healthy and Isaac doesn’t have to play in more than 4 games so can still take a RS but be ready to go at any point. Have Bottari run the practice squad.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Over the years I have noted Whitt’s interest move from having a good answer for starters to added focus on being two deep everywhere and beyond with players that can play without drop-off.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

McClain is best WR in current room.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Just a question, has Pittman committed to coming back? He’ll be 24 years old well before the start of the football season. As a guy with limited NFL prospects and given his extensive injury history, you’d wonder how much more gas he’s got left in the tank.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

I think there’s questions around both Pittman and Curry. Not sure the answer to either.

3 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I know QB room has been the hot topic all year long, but we have about as good a QB room as anyone right now.

Rising, a guy who won two P12 titles. Rose, a backup with time in the system. Wilson, the young guy out of high school looking to take the world on fire.

Not a lot of schools with that type of talent in their QB room.

1 1

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

lol no! Don’t do this again please. We have possibly healthy Rising, and nobody proven behind him. I believe Wilson will be a top 5 all time Ute QB, but he hasn’t proven anything yet.

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Great list. Thanks for posting.

Depth at LB could be an issue.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

I guess we don’t know when Logan Fano will be ready to go, given his injury was in October.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Potential 2024 2-deep