Preseason Hype

Viewing 2 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

Every year in preseason I’m optimistic about the team. I’m also wary of expectations. It seems that each year whenever we see these predictions of greatness, those are the years we flop. Conversely, the years when expectations are low are the years that the team rises up to outperform. This year is one of high expectations. 

So many are expecting so much this year, and I’m strangely calm about it.  I think that our opponents don’t really know what they’re going up against.  This has the feel of another special year.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The hype means nothing if you get some key injuries in the wrong places. If we stay healthy I look for a great season.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Well said Tony.  Both Shelley and Tuttle have improved since Spring but if Huntley was hurt early in the season I think we’re back to 7 wins, maybe 8.  We should be able to run it with an improved O-line leading Moss, Shyne and Huntley (picking his spots).  That opens up the passing game with Simpkins and Covey giving you two very difficult covers and Thompson, Mariner, Boyd, Nacua and Enis stretching the field with length and speed.

Depth and experience at Saftey, Corner, Linebacker (with Pirtle/Bernard) and DE on defense.  4 DT’s ready so an injury there could potentially hurt and lead to young guys having to play.  

Depth at OL, RB, WR, TE…just that QB spot.  If Tuttle was a Soph or Redshirt Freshman I’d feel 1000% better there.  

This team is loaded…need some luck on the injury front.  Injuries will happen but if we can avoid them happening to Huntley, Anae or Fotu we’re in line for a special season.  Still a difficult schedule so even if we stay relatively healthy we have a big challenge ahead.  

Dwight89
      Ute Fan
      @jordan-buckner

I’m trying to take a more cautious perspective his year. We won six games last year. Winning 7+ games with this brutal schedule needs to be celebrated. I still maintain 2019 is our year. 

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

15 and 0 15 sacks. 15-1 TD to INT ratio. +15 or more TO margin. Boom. My expectations.

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Correct. 

2 2

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’d say this:

6-7 wins = good season

8 wins = very good season

9 wins and ranked = great season

10 wins and ranked = amazing season 

11+ wins = OMG, once every 20 years season

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

I don’t think 6 wins is a “good” season.  That would imply that we only win 3 PAC 12 games.  That is a bad season.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Agreed. My bar is set a bit higher. To me a good season is 4/5 conference wins, and 3-0 OOC. If we get a little more aggressive with our OOC schedule then I’ll reevaluate. A “very good” season is 8/9 wins, and so on.

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

I agree with all of this except for two parts.

1) 6 & 7 wins should be separated. 

6 wins = decent season

7 wins = good season

2) 11+ wins does = OMG, but I think we should be expecting 11+ wins at least once every 10 years now that we are finally up to speed as a Pac-12 team.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Preseason Hype