Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      3 3
      Utah5410
      Participant

My Prediction..

What do you guys Think ?

1. CAM MOON RISING BACK
      2. BB – (He could go play at SUU close to home or a MWC school Utah St ? But, knowing the offense and how beat up Cam has been does he stay and remain the back up or a number 3 and work a future GA position with Whit ? (I think he stays… But what do you think ?
      3. Brandon Rose. Stays BB and CR are gone IW is coming in… But, he can try and win the job has been the scout team QB and has all the momentum. Learns from Cam. If IW beats him out in 25. Then he gone.
      4. Mack Howard.. Don’t know anything about him (Maybe he leaves), wouldn’t matter I guess.
      5. Issac Wilson – Future of the program… Future stud. Is getting shoulder surgery. Take the year to learn, get healthy, get big and learn what it means to play big time ball at Utah…

That means N.J. is likely gone. Wants to play QB. isn’t happening here. Not sure where it will happen. Kid is so fast. But can’t throw, not accurate, not at this level, maybe not at G-5 level also. Not a diss. Just where he’s at. Wish he would stay and switch positions. But he doesn’t want too. Maybe similar to jason Shelly. Goes to a small school and tears it up. Hope he stays though.

DrahtUte
      Participant

My only comment about your Nate Johnson thoughts is that a QB can improve their accuracy tremendously with hard work and good coaching during the off season. It’s like learning to shoot threes in basketball – if you’re willing to put in the work and are athletic enough, you will definitely be able to do it.

Everything else about being a good QB is the more difficult part.

8 2
      Tony (admin)
      Keymaster

There’s not enough data on NJ to come to any conclusions IMO.

NorthernUte
        Participant

I agree with Tony, until he’s cut loose and allowed to play his game, I don’t think we can judge his accuracy… there were a lot of dropped balls when he was in. Maybe it’s a velo thing and it was hard for the receivers to catch his balls, but definitely not enough to form a solid opinion

ProudUte
      Participant

Glad Cam is coming back. I hope others do the same. If everyone stays who can, we should be a great team in 2024.

I hope Rose stays and is QB2.

I hope Johnson stays and plays a different position.

I would like Howard to stay as an emergency QB.

Then in 2025 there will be a competition between Wilson and Rose.

EagleMountainUte
      Participant

1-2 million to keep Rising here….jeez.

Utah
      Participant

Ok…I’m going off the idea that you only have 4 scholarship QB’s due to scholarship limits. You can’t have a team full of QB’s.

And I don’t know how the coaches feel about Rose/Johnson and their future here at Utah. A part of me thinks that they think Rose is gone because he hasn’t played at all…and we could have desperately used anyone with any pulse at QB. Seems crazy he wouldn’t play…unless he wanted to medical RS so he could transfer and still have 4 years to play and the coaches are doing him a solid.

With that in mind:

My perfect world:

QB1: Rising. Duh

QB2: Transfer QB. Someone who can realistically push Rising.

QB3: Rose/Johnson/Howard. You know some will transfer. You want to keep one out of the three. Hopefully it’s Rose.

QB4: Wilson.

That would be the ideal.

The Miami Ute
      Participant

– Bryson stays. Utah born and bred. I’m sure that he fully understands that he’s had his day in the sun but it’s back to reality.
      – Rose probably gone. One more year behind Rising et. al. plus no real pathway to starting beyond that, especially with Copper Canyon’s favorite son nipping at his heels.
      – Johnson probably gone. He’s fast and dynamic. I’m pretty sure that he wants to play QB but unfortunately it isn’t going to be at Utah. Not as good a QB as Jason Shelley and look where he ended up (P5 to G5 to FCS). If he really applied himself and changed positions, he’s got the physical tools to make some noise but some people you just can’t reach.
      – Howard probably stays. A degree from Utah doesn’t look too bad on the wall.
      – Wilson. Sit down and learn at the feet of the master, young grasshopper.
      – Wildcard QB from the portal. There’s going to be a number of really interesting QBs likely/possibly hitting the portal during this cycle. I’m talking about guys like Maalik Murphy (Texas), Brock Vandagriff (Georgia), Cade Klubnik (Clemson), Tyler Van Dyke (Miami), Jayden DeLaura (Zona), Devin Brown (Ohio State), Ethan Garbers (UCLA), and a bunch of others. Utah could easily be in the mix for one of those guys as insurance in case Rising has a relapse. The question is if Whitt would do that.

2008 National Champ
        Participant

You think Klubnik will transfer?

I’d be a no vote on DeLaura and Garbers

The Miami Ute
          Participant

It’s possible that Klubnik transfers. He’s said that he isn’t going anywhere but you never know. I know that Dabo has criticized his decision making a couple of times this season (like after the game versus Miami) and that his performance has been relatively mediocre compared to expectations.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

When the expectation is that you will either duplicate or exceed Trevor Lawrence.,,

5 1
      Yergensen
      Participant

BB can’t be in the mix. He’s the 80th ranked QB in CFB. That’s not P5 quarterbacking, that’s not good G5 quarterbacking. He’s 5-3 as a starter. We’re playing for conference championships, this won’t cut it.

There were mistakes made that put us in a situation where BB was our best option. Those mistakes need to be corrected so this doesn’t happen again. A transfer probably needs to be brought in to shore up QB2. Bill Riley said something like this last week and he’s a guy that toes the party line.

1 6
        Utah
        Participant

Barnes should be welcome at Utah. Just not on scholarship…unless the season starts and there is an extra one.

7 1
          The Miami Ute
          Participant

Not to be argumentative but why would you take away Barnes’ scholarship when there are guys that are on the team that can’t get on the field and have one? I agree that Barnes is definitely not P5 starting material but, then again, so is probably half the team. I have to believe that Barnes stays on scholarship at Utah until he graduates. Basically, because Whitt likes him and he’s done some decent things this season under adverse conditions.

Utah
            Participant

It all depends. We know what Barnes potential is. Maybe Rose/Johnson are at Barnes level yet. But if they will be by next fall, then you keep them. If they won’t be, then keep Barnes.

Does that make sense? I’d keep the higher ceiling guy over Barnes, if they high ceiling guy is improving behind the scenes.

Yergensen
          Participant

To clarify, based on what we need at QB to achieve team goals, I don’t think BB can be in the mix for QB1 or QB2. IMO, he should be on the team and on scholarship. He’s earned all of that.

2008 National Champ
            Participant

If the other QB’s in the room can’t beat him out, then he should definitely be QB1, 2, 3 or whatever spot it is that he earns.

Jim Vanderhoof
      Participant

I thought Barnes improved during the season. He’s not a starting QB for the Utes. But he knows the offense and has game experience. He can come in if needed to finish a game if Cam goes out. Hopefully someone else can emerge as the #2.

He has value in the qb room. Cam would have struggled this year with all the injuries. It will be hard to get a transfer with Cam coming back. Rose is the wild card. Barnes is a great #3. Johnson should change positions.

Our O line will be better with experience. We need more play makers at WR. A bigger TE and a physical running back from the portal.

Caliman
      Participant

Utah should make a push to get Tyler Shough from TT, his got insane arm strength, and can also bolt out of the pocket if he needs to.. he’ll probably end up at Oregon or NC his top 2 schools.

The Miami Ute
        Participant

Shough going back to Oregon? I didn’t know you could do that.

PlainsUte
      Participant

I hope Isaac doesn’t turn out like this…

9 1
        Onlyu
        Participant

1. Cam 2/3. Rose/transfer 4. Wilson (post surgery) next Fall is my guess. Not sure if Howard sticks around but I expect Bryson to drop a level and start somewhere else for his last year. He could stay but I think he wants to play and that won’t be here.

NJ will be approached with a position change but also invited to compete with Rose/transfer again in the Fall. Will only be a Soph and hasn’t played a lot of QB so could decide to give it one more chance as a Ute. He wants to play QB so I lean to him testing the waters elsewhere. His problem will be that not many P5 schools will take a flyer on his film this year. The OSU game was bad, he missed multiple opportunities that he should have seen and his accuracy is an issue. If he leaves for a QB role it will likely be at a G5 program imo but he might be able to blossom there.

I still think the Jordan kid currently committed to SC will flip and become a Ute. SC will have to up the ante on him and I’m not sure they will with the needs they have on both lines.

We still have a significant amount of NIL to both retain current players and hit the portal with after Cam’s deal so I expect plenty of activity there as well. I think we’re about to go all in on a top 12 playoff run next year.

NarfUte
          Participant

how would it be if UTAH could steal a 4* WR recruit from the $C NFL WR factory?

Charlie
          Participant

Jordan would be an awesome get. Hopefully, his relationship with Becker makes a difference. I don’t know what NJ’s hands are like but as a slot receiver he would completely occupy the attention of a 1 high safety, which has many benefits. I also hope that Rising/Wilson/Becker will be attractive to other receivers in HS and the portal.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.