Recruits can now take as many official visits as they want

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Previously, a high school recruit could take five (paid) visits. Effective August 1st, a high school football player can visit as many schools as he wants. He cannot make two (paid) visits to the same school. How will this affect recruiting?
      The world of college football as we knew it has changed. (I am not saying that it is all bad. But, it sure as heck is different.)

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

It was a silly rule IMO. Glad it is gone. No reason to prevent a kid from doing everything he can to make the right choice about his/her future.

alexsmith
        Ute Fan
        @alexsmith

Exactly. Kids that do well in school and on the ACT/SAT can take as many paid visits as schools are willing to give, so why not athletes.

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

I’m confused by this. Schools pay kids to visit for academics now? Man, that would have been nice. I got some good scholarship offers, but no paid trips – had to go on my own. I did get a paid trip for grad school though and got recruited to where I ended up going.

perceptionate
      Ute Fan
      @perceptionate

I bet this will be good for the U. Most of our recruits are out of state, so we might not naturally be in the top 5 schools to begin with. But the U’s campus is exceptionally beautiful and cool, plus we have an awesome gameday and stadium atmosphere. The more visits the better for us, I think.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Great thought. You have a kid who is a Clark Phillips level talent. He only gets 5 visits. Well, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, USC…

That’s four. You don’t even get most of those kids on the campus. And if you don’t, you have a zero shot. 

Now, they can visit those schools AND Utah. And they have a good experience and they remember that. And when November hits and Urban and Saban don’t remember the kid’s name and Utah is still talking to them…

You might get them to flip, ala Phillips. 

This is great for Utah. 

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

You guys all make some good points.  Maybe this helps Utah’s recruiting going forward.

3 1

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

I like this – get them to our campus and I think we get a boost in our place on their list. Lots going for the school, program, facilities, mountains, etc.

UrbanLiar
          Ute Fan
          @urbanliar

This also might be another example of the well capitalized schools just getting stronger. They can bankroll recruit trips but other schools might not have that operating capital.

GameForAnyFuss
            Ute Fan
            @gameforanyfuss

Not necessarily. The cost of an official visit is a drop in the bucket of the overall expenses required to run a sports team. Since most of the things they’ll do on a visit are sunk costs, the only real expenses are travel, room, and board. I figure $1000/per recruit? So in a big year you’re talking maybe $50k? That’s nothing for a P4 football team.

I agree with those above who say this will ultimately be a benefit to Utah.

//r00t4Utes
              Ute Fan
              @r00t4utes

Y’all made me feel better about this reading through the comments. My thoughts just went to NIL and how the big teams could use this to buy more players.

DataUte
              Ute Fan
              @scotwaye

Depends on the cost of strippers and blow … jk, we ain’t that “U”

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Recruits can now take as many official visits as they want