RJ Hubert

Viewing 6 reply threads
      7 1

gandalf
      Ute Fan
      @gandalf

Any word on Hubert’s recovery? It would be nice to have a safety with a little experience back there. I could see Hubert and Ritchie as the starting safeties. Phillips and Broughton as the starting corners. If Phillips plays nickel, who starts on the other corner? Boyd? To me, shoring up a young and inexperienced defensive backfield is the key for success this year. I think we will be ok at most other position groups, but the DBs are so vital to the scheme and we have so much to replace this year.  I would have loved to have Guidry one more.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

USC Receivers:

Tyler Vaughns

Amon-Ra St. Brown

Drake London

Our DB’s better grow up fast.  Thank God Michael Pittman is gone.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

Don’t we have Nephi Sewell returning at Safety?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think they’re thinking Sewell is more of a LB than a safety.

12 1

Hellhound152
          Ute Fan
          @hellhound152

Sewell, you mean the guy responsible for Verdell’s 120+ rushing yards and two touchdowns in the 4th quarter of the Pac12 championship game?  If they don’t have anyone better on the roster to play safety it is going to be a long year.  I think you just activated my PTSD mentioning his name.  Run fit!   

CB
      Ute Fan
      @solidhobo

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nate Ritchie starts at Safety after a few games. Have heard nothing but praise about his football intelligence and athleticism. I’m not too worried about the safety position, but I am concerned with the CB spots simply because of a lack of experience. I think CP3 starts potentially at nickel, but the lack of experience on the outside concerns me a bit.

RustyShackleford
        Ute Fan
        @shakyute13

I wish Javelin would have stayed

CB
          Ute Fan
          @solidhobo

I do too, but at the same time while Javelin was appreciated, I think with him being gone it opens up opportunity for CP3 to start and get more playing time. CP3 would have gotten some reps regardless even with Jav on the roster, but I think CP3 gets a lot more playing time with him gone, and let’s be real, CP3’s ceiling is probably a lot higher than Javs.

tanute3
            Ute Fan
            @tanute3

Curious why people think CP3 will be playing at nickel instead of corner?

Hellhound152
              Ute Fan
              @hellhound152

Agreed, hey look at our 4 star Justin Thomas!  Nickel at Utah is reserved for talented but vertically challenged players to protect them from high point routes without help.  Phillips will start at corner unless he isn’t good enough, and Guidry being on the roster would not impact that.

salty-ute
              Ute Fan
              @salty-ute

Most scouting reports on him say his natural position is nickel. Who knows what Utah will do with him.

From Athlon Sports:

Junior Bronson Boyd and sophomore JaTravis Broughton were the early favorites at each cornerback spot, but freshman Clark Phillips III was on campus for spring practice and was already in the mix to start. The highest-rated recruit in program history, Phillips could see time at cornerback, but nickel is his natural position.

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

He came to play on an island in the defense Utah runs. 

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Tenute, I think the reason being is his size. If anyone knows better, please correct me.

Hellhound152
                Ute Fan
                @hellhound152

He is 5’10″/5’11” which is tall enough to play outside.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Hellbound do you mean the Sewell that hadn’t played all season? The Sewell playing out of position that game? Give me one team in college football not named Clemson or Alabama that has 4* depth down to the third string? I’ll wait while you look.

Sewell will be a SS/LB This season

You get down to the third string and any position you’re gonna be in trouble especially today with being limited to only 85 scholarships.

The biggest thing that concerns me with Hubert is what kind of access has he had to quality rehab during this whole C19 shutdown? If he’s been trying to rehab from home on his own that could really slow down his progress.

Vonte Davis, Aaron Lowe, and Nate Ritchie can all play FS. If Hubert isn’t ready to go.

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

This. 

I think it is really easy to be critical of guys, without keeping in mind the context that goes along with it. In this case, we were down to our 3rd string, at a position that had been strong all year long. The injuries to Blackmon, and then Hubert can’t be understated.

Yes, the Oregon and Texas games weren’t fun to watch. You have to remember what injuries took place, also who saw out of the Texas game. Also, keep in mind some of the fluke things that happened at the beginning of that Oregon game. Painful, yes. A bunch of non characteristic plays, also yes. 

It really does stink how that is how we will remember last year, rather than the run this team went on after the SC game.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

I was triggered, what do you want from me.  I still wake up in a cold sweat yelling run fit.

1 1

Yergensen
        Ute Fan
        @yergensen

Sewell is a 2* 75 rated Nevada transfer just to keep things in perspective.  We are fortunate to have 4* starters let alone backups.  However, we’ve gotten to the level where our depth is 3* +85 rating.

Like Hellhound, I saw numerous missed reads and missed tackles from Sewell in the last 2 games that lead to big plays.  Circumstances weren’t good and competition was blue blood, but I’m not sure why his name comes up so quickly as heir apparent at Safety and LB.  Maybe it’s only because of his name, but I think it’s clear he doesn’t have close to his brothers’ talent.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Hell I understand talk it out it helps.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Sewell will be a career back up at Utah. He just got put in the wrong place at the wrong time last season

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.