Scalley

Viewing 12 reply threads

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Been plenty of recent chatter about Morgan and his situation…from what I’ve been told he is likely to be retained. The investigation was thorough and went back 20+ years and there were no other instances uncovered that reflected poorly. There were some inconsistencies and lack of corroboration in what’s been discussed on social media but those are the times we live in I’m afraid.

Doesn’t minimize the mistake MS made but there doesn’t appear to be a pattern in any way, shape or form. Not sure many could stand up under the microscope MS has been under and survive…I certainly couldn’t. The feeling is that MS has the ability and character to make a positive out of this and will continue to earn or build the respect necessary in the communities he works in and represents.

No word on punishment/suspension/title, etc.

6 14

User Suspended
      @a2ute

Again, as a middle-aged white guy, I get the misstep MS made and I don’t think he his racist. I cannot speak to what a black recruit/family might think having not ever walked in those shoes.

What I can say, if MS is retained, there will always be a thorn in the side of UofU recruiting of black recruits… it will be used against the program. Need to think of the big picture or Utah recruiting will suffer big time.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Pace brings up a great point about the impact keeping Scalley could have on recruiting. I would think that other programs would try using this against us in recruiting battles and why a prospect should avoid going to Utah. And I would imagine Harlan has retained a crisis management consultant and has a plan for how best to deliver the findings to the public as well as a plan for moving forward that would help address future recruits’ and players’ concerns??

2 3

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

That can cut both ways some families will be put off by the way it is brought up.

8 2

CB
        Ute Fan
        @solidhobo

If that’s something that other schools would use against Utah, and the recruits believed what they were being fed by those opposing schools, then maybe Utah wouldn’t want that particular recruit. Gotta have players that can think critically and understand the type of man Scalley is by their own experience, rather than blindly devouring that kind of rhetoric from others. Not saying that this would be the case, but these kids should know better than to take everything being told to them as the absolute truth.

5 9

User Suspended
          @a2ute

lol, DI football is a business. If you throw in prospects must have “critical thinking” you’ve already lost. From what I can tell Scally seems like a good guy, a bubble guy/ naive, but a good guy. If Utah wants to take the next step, they will need to make the business decisions and cut bait.

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

I hope you’re right. I would think that when vying for the services of top rated talent, it gets pretty cut throat out there. And if a kid’s parents had the slightest concern about Utah for this reason it could be the difference. Jayden Daniels comes to mind. He loved his visit to Utah and was comfortable coming but his mother wasn’t comfortable with the idea for whatever reason. Not saying it had anything to do with racism but Utah already has a stigma attached to it. I’m thrilled to hear the news about Scalley, he’s 100% an upstanding guy. We were in the same fraternity along with his older brother. There’s not a better man and family out there than the Scalley’s. I just hope this doesn’t negatively affect recruiting in any way as there is nothing more important to the program than being able to continue the upward trend with our recruiting. And like some other posts have said, I hope Morgan and the coaching staff can turn this into a big positive and make us even more competitive out there with recruits. I’m just curious how this aspect gets addressed moving forward.

1 8

User Suspended
            @a2ute

He sounds like a great guy.. but he needs to go. It’s business. Utah will find another good coach to take his place.

10 2

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

Or it’s a positive because Scalley can now relate better to minority athletes and relate the story about Shaw’s friendly banter and how they’ve both improved their outlook and dialogue. Shaw can crush the rumors pretty easy. Morgan was mirroring Shaw. Morgans already a great recruiter, any coach pulling the race card is going to look like s**t himself to that recruits family.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Sure there will be consequences if he’s retained. The question is can the program survive them. Utah football doesn’t just talk about family, character, etc. they live it. Kids, coaches, administrators make mistakes all the time and it’s handled similarly to how you would handle something with one of your kids. You might be p**sed, hurt or embarrassed but you find a way to move on in almost every scenario.

We have one of the most diverse teams in the nation…literally almost 1/3 White, 1/3 Black and 1/3 Polynesian. While there will certainly be attempts to use this against the program there will also be opportunity to show precisely who we are. We have coaches and players from some of the worst situations in the country who have found safety and family here and have literally changed their stars. We don’t just talk about family here it’s real and it starts at the top.

This “character” will continue despite the efforts of those who try and negate that. You have negative things to hit on in every program in college football and this IS a negative but we don’t have a choice but to learn from it, adjust in a positive way and move forward. That’s what you would do in your family and that’s what Utah Football will do.

3 13

User Suspended
          @a2ute

I guess it depends on where you want the football program to go. If retaining local “family” coaches who screw up but are good guys is a top priority… then you will get that type of program.  You want to compete against USC, Oregon or even ASU? better sharpen your knives.

5 2

Stone
            Ute Fan
            @stone

By compete with USC and ASU, do you mean, win the south division? I guess we can only dream.

4 2

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Exactly. If people think Herm Edwards isn’t going to use this against the Utes in recruiting, think again. And it will be effective.

Dwight89
        Ute Fan
        @jordan-buckner

My stance is that if it does impact recruiting KWhitt and Harlan will make a move. Based on what OnlyU says, though, I think at worst it might impact recruiting for one year, then it will be forgotten. 

22 1

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Thanks for the report.  I’m getting pretty sick of all the “cancelling” that is going on.  I hope this can be something we can build on as a team, and Morgan can build on as a person and a mentor for his players.

6 1

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

That’s fantastic news, thanks so much OnlyU!! Perhaps Scalley and Shah could do an education series going around the community doing open discussions about racial injustice and how people can better listen, understand, and have empathy at this time for the black community? All as part of turning this from a negative into a huge positive…

5 17

User Suspended
        @a2ute

LOL, like a fireside? speaking to other white people?  LOL 

MDUte
          Ute Fan
          @mdute

Might sound silly, but us white people need all of that type of messaging we can get right now…as evidenced by the current social climate and how much ignorance that still exists.

3 8

User Suspended
            @a2ute

Yikes…

I can assure you MS will come out a hero as he confesses his sins to the white people in Cottonwood Heights… it’s a layup and will make the bubble feel better.

The real issue is outside the cushy confines of the bubble. A watery-eyed confession in Compton might not get the same reaction… and it shouldn’t 

1 1

MDUte
              Ute Fan
              @mdute

I hear you Pace. But if he goes and does that type of community outreach that can then be portrayed outside of Utah showing how Morgan learned from all of this and has tried to be part of the solution than the problem, then I believe that could help outsider’s perception of Morgan as well as the program. Because the questions/concerns might arise from recruits and their parents but being able to not only explain the situation but also show what was done about it can go a long way to overcoming those concerns. Just my opinion, flame me if you like.

10 4

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Pace, the only truth here is you have no idea what is going to happen with recruiting.

You have no idea what black players and their families think about Scalley or Utah.

But that post is par for the course for you uninformed, uneducated, and unintelligent so I would expect nothing less.

It’s all about the forthcoming press conference. If Scalley is remorseful humble and sincere and has learned from his mistakes Utah recruiting will be just fine.

6 17

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

I like MS, I really do. Retaining him is a mistake. There’s only downside. Downside in perception, downside in recruiting, downside in team members fears and thoughts. This is a terrible decision.

2 20

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Thank you!! he’s a good coach… but he’s not the next Urban. The downside is far deeper than any “upside”

Put it this way, if MS was from say Iowa, not Mormon and didn’t play on the Sugar Bowl team, would your thoughts be the same.

Be honest Utehubers… pop the bubble

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

He’s a good coach but a better person period…he’s a guy you want your daughter to bring home and one you believe will always care for her (assuming you have one Pace!! Haha! ).

This discussion is a good one. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer and I’m sure that’s where Whit and Harlan are. They obviously have their fingers on the pulse of everyone involved and have certainly done their due diligence and considered the risk and reward with having him stay or go.

3 10

User Suspended
            @a2ute

I have a daughter, and yes, he seems like an upstanding person – as we see it through a white culture. A black father might see this very, very differently.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Not final…though my guess is he stays based on the results of the investigation. I’m not sure one other coach on staff could make it through this besides MS. He has earned an incredible amount of respect with players past and present, the coaching staff, administration and even with players who choose to go elsewhere through the recruiting process.

I completely understand the concern around recruiting but frankly that’s yet to be seen so let’s cross that bridge if and when we get there.

3 2

Ah Utef
        @ahutef

I disagree Ute Bc. Him resigning or getting fired is the easy way out for Scalley, the team and the University. Consider the biggest fear of the naysayers: recruiting. If other teams use it against us, so be it. Who better to speak to what happened than Scalley and Shah themselves? I’d rather have those involved face the music than say ‘well, he’s no longer with us so we took care of it.’ We’re all human, so are the coaches, players and their families. Humans make choices and face the consequences, bad or good. Somethings are bigger than football even when you’re a part of the program. Retaining Scalley isn’t easy and may very well lead to missing out on future star players, but I think it’s what’s best for him, the team and gives recruits what they need in making the best decision on their future.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

No player past or present (that we know of) has called for Scallys job. No player past or present called him a racist. They all stated MS made a mistake, is a great coach and person who can learn from this and is/was ignorant and overstepped his priv as a white male. That word should never be used by a whole person period. If the independent investigation deems that this one or two occasions (RYan Lacy) is all that happened. Then I think MS will learn, relate and apologize to every black recruit that lets him in his home. Bottom line, recruits and there caregivers will see the genuine, caring MS that we all seem to know or understand. I don’t think it will affedt recruiting as much as many think. But let’s be very clear. Morgan will be on a zero tolerance platform and will need to continue to educate himself and make that known to the African American community: through Coach Shaw and others. But I think recruits will look at MS the person over who he was in the past. I think our recruiting will be fine. My 2c

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

It’s true no one has called for his job. Eric Rowe did say that if he were being recruited right now, he wouldn’t come. K. Scott also said that at least in the short term, it will affect recruiting.

1 4

Dwight89
          Ute Fan
          @jordan-buckner

Absolutely no disrespect to K. Scott, but the dude sells cell phones for a living. I don’t think he really has any clue how this will affect recruiting, and neither do any of us, frankly. Rowe’s comments, on the other hand, probably carry more weight. 

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

So, K Scott has never been recruited as a black athlete before based on his current job? That’s a crazy statement.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Utah’s whole football mantra is “Family” so the first time someone in the family screws up you want them kicked to the curb?

1 13

User Suspended
        @a2ute

White bubble family?

Again, just try to look at this from a different lens. From an outsider, it feels like every stereotype people place on Utah.

I don’t think much of the new AD (Whatever his name is) but at least he’s not from the bubble.  But I got to say he seems like a a#s kisser, so he might fall in line.

7 1

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I fully support Morgan Scalley’s retention!  For those who believe Scalley will hurt recruitment, I say it’ll likely be minimized by the number of black athletes who’ve publicly come out to back him.  Scalley made a mistake, but will NEVER do THAT again.  So let’s forgive and let it be.  Letting Scalley go would only appease the mob.  But it wouldn’t benefit the team or the players he leads.  

I couldn’t care less about the mob.

User Suspended
        @a2ute

Let me ask you this… will black recruiting get better with MS on the payroll?  the answer is no. And you know this.

Utah is in no position to hold steady on black recruiting 

11 2

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

We’re ALREADY recruiting black kids.  One of them is an elite RB out of FL.  If we can get them on campus, the current black athletes will be able to tell recruits everything they need to know about how good or how bad race relations are on the hill.  We’ll be fine with Scalley.

You’re obviously one of those terrified, knee-jerk sort of sheeple, who knows no loyalties.  Hopefully those who’ll ultimately determine Scalley’s fate are of much higher character than you’ll ever achieve.

8 1

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Why don’t you give Black America more credit then that.

You’re basically saying that Black Dad can’t think rationally and make smart educated decisions.

You’re saying that he can only react with hate and anger.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

A white family???

Of Utah 85 scholarship players I’d say off the top of my head 30 are black, 20 are probably Polynesian, and 35 are white/other. That’s pretty diverse to me.

Not to mention 3 Black Coaches and Director of football operations Jeff Rudy who is Black.

All who have come out in total support of Morgan.

6 2

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

Pace is truly an idiot trying to stir the pot. PACE once again assumes that many on this board have never left Utah. Myself, I’ve lived in Chicago, LA, San Diego, St Louis among others and have been lucky to travel to many places in the world.im sure many on this board have also. My point is we don’t just look through red color glasses. Are we bias and want Morgan to stay. Yes. So we like him. Yes. Is he one of our own. Yes. But like many, when I heard the allegations I didn’t immediately come to his defense I thoight “well this is out of character” but if this is true let’s see how this plays out”. After hearing many interviews most importantly Ryan Lacys, it gave me a better idea of what happened. As a whole the African American community (in my experience) is very loving and caring community. They watch out for each other and want to build up themselves and others. They will not tolerate racism or bigoted hateful speech. But, ignorance, of genuine, they will put you in your place and then build you up. If genuine, they are happy to educate and forgive for that is the workd we all want to live in. So yes PACE, some recruits won’t want to deal with MS or Utah. And that does suck. Maybe Utah wouldn’t have been a good fit for them anyways. Maybe utah in general is too “white and religious”. But, many have come and thrived here. Even Ryan lacy, loves his experience at Utah. Singleton did too. Overall If he’s reinstated that mean kw, Shah have his back. Don’t care so much what Harlan thinks, he have been around Morgan that long. KW would never jeopardize the Utah program to kid “his guy” the program is bigger than MS and KW for that matter. Again, it will affect recruiting, but I don’t think it will affect it like you think.

4 2

UTman
        Ute Fan
        @utman

Utah5410, I was sold on this post after your first five words.

7 1

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

If what OnlyU says is true, I fully support retaining Scalley.
      Cancel culture sucks.
      Knee-jerk reactions made because full context isn’t known suck.
      But more importantly…
      If Penn State can recover within a couple of years after sexual abuse – SEXUAL ABUSE – happened in that program, Utah can survive a small blip in the road that literally didn’t have malicious intent.
      People will MAYBE remember this for 1 season (even less), and move on.
      And if you think we’d be able to find another coach like Scalley – a homegrown, well respected, hard working, great recruiting, Utah Man to succeed the greatest football coach Utah has ever had – think again. NOBODY will bring it to the table like Scalley will when it’s his turn in the big chair – ESPECIALLY if we stand by him as we work through his mistake.
      Too many long term positives to come out of this to avoid a very small short-term negative.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.