Where do we go from here…

Viewing 4 reply threads

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

I know some will say this is to early but I think Ty would want us to continue our passion for Utah football. The hole Tys death left on family, friends, teammates and coaches will never be able to be filled. I think we also will have a hell of a time trying to fill the hole his death has left football wise, where do we begin to try? Do we kick the tires on some transfers? I know there is some high rated recruit RBs that are left uncommitted do we go after them? All I know is that him not being on the team has made me a lot more uncertain and less excited about the future of our offense. RIP TJ
      I forgot to add that the departure of Brumfield and Wilmore leave us with what, one guy (Bernard) who has been in the system more then a year. Unless I’m forgetting someone

Johnny
      Ute Fan
      @johnny

I’m sure you will know soon enough. Utah has the best scouts in the country. But, why so curious now? We have plenty of time until next season.

Did you know who Ty Jordan was last year at this time? I did. I knew he was a badass, but not that much of a badass.

Let the system play out. We have some of the best in charge.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Utah will bring in at least one transfer RB. They will want them here when school starts in January for winter workouts and spring ball.

So you could hear something fairly quick.

It’s gonna be difficult to get in on any top level HS talent this late in the recruiting game.

Maybe you see a JC or a 2nd transfer in February for depth.

PhiladelphiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @philadelphiaute

We already have a top-level high school RB in Ricky Parks!

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/ricky-parks-233722

We don’t need another high schooler.  If we pick up any new RBs, we should look at the JUCO ranks, and those in the transfer portal.  Or even look inside our own locker room and see if Jordan Wilmore would be willing to come back.

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

I think Bernard is the real deal and has some versatility that Ty didn’t, meaning catching the ball out of the backfield at a taller 5’11” and lining up as a slot receiver. I’d like to get a good look at Ricky Parks in spring ball since he will be here early. Think of all the guys that vacated the RB position in last 12-15 months for Utah. DHC, Brumfield, Green, Wilmore, Ty Jordan RIP.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a position group go from the biggest area of strength to the biggest area of weakness in such a short amount of time.  I do think we have a couple of good ones in Bernard and Parks and we will tack on a transfer or two to solidify the position.  

LetItRide
          Ute Fan
          @letitride

And that is why the Utes “may”need to think about a identity change and possibly pass more. Just putting it out there.

Problem and guessing point is that we don’t have an established QB in the system YET…..and the Utes running attack will take a hit no matter who is here or is coming.

Also, our Wrs …..are they on a level that if we decide to go 55 pass to 45 run (which doesn’t seem like much), but is a big jump for Utes and also changes our identity some ……are they the right group to be able to take on that change and elevate us to where we were going at seasons end?

Maybe we are looking at WR as a portal top need?

And to the OP and second response……like OnlyU stated before everyone will mourn and respond in different ways and at different times. It’s natural and no one should be judged by that. If you don’t want to engage in a certain post by someone at this time. Don’t do it. Move on.

Happy New Years everyone……Go UTES ! Hers to a more positive outlook and experience in 2021.

LetItRide
            Ute Fan
            @letitride

Oh I should add that our pass OL is a weakness too so maybe a OL portal spot will help. 
            Be interesting which direction we go Next year. 

Hellhound152
              Ute Fan
              @hellhound152

The Utes don’t need O-line help from the portal.  Those Freshman and Sophomores that were playing need an off season to grow up physically and grow together as a unit.  That was why the next couple of seasons were looking so bright because all of the your players were going to develop together.

As far as running back goes, we literally went from an all timer in 2019 to a relatively unknown true freshman and this board seems more concerned about the loss of the the true freshman than they were about the loss of the all timer from the season before.  Not to be cold but there will be a stud toting the rock next season for the Utes just like there has been every season for the last 18 years, we don’t know who that stud is going to be but he will be on the field next August.  Also, we have no clue what the offense was supposed to look like with Rising as the QB, there may have been more passes, undoubtedly they would have been more efficient in the passing game.

MDUte
            Ute Fan
            @mdute

I don’t ever see this happening under Whit. This was supposedly the year we were told that our throw game was going to be more of a focus with our experienced group of WRs coming back and that the offense might have to carry the defense to keep us in games. But what this year showed me is that we have an identity, smash mouth football with a conservative passing game, and that identity isn’t going to change. And personally, I love our identity. It might not be as flashy as some might like, but it’s who we are. And Whit has proven to be a winner YoY and continues to take the program to new levels (ie banging on the CFP door last year, back to back South Division champs and shots at a Conf title game, back to back top 30 recruiting classes etc). I think we need to embrace who we are and avoid wishing for something different.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

I think it is hard to read the intended identity this year.  I expect we were a different offense with Rising in the game but that was short lived.  Bentely didn’t get going so we tumbled into maybe an unintended identity.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

The good news is Bernard looks great is only 18 and is just beginning to scratch his surface. Parks is a beast. For what it’s worth he is
      Ranked hire than TJ was (LLTJ) :(. I think parks will be good. But, we absolutely need to bring in a big name RB from the portal. Lucky for us, unlike receiver, big time RB should
      Be looking at us very closely. Since the competition is going to be wide open and one of them could come in for one year and shine before going to the league. I have one doubt we will bring in at least one big time RB transfer.

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Bernard is a damn good back and he runs heavier than he looks. Hopefully Money or another portal kid steps in to help carry the load. Bernard is not an every down back in Utahs offense. I have ZERO confidence in the pass game being any better. The Oline is just flat out horrible at pass blocking against the better teams in the P12. QB, well of course we all know how that goes, another mystery year announcing the QB 10 minutes before kick-off on 9/2. Hope the Utes at some point can figure out how to run a complete offense at all positions.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Bernard isn’t an every down back in Utah’s offense?  What gives you that idea?  Was an every down back in HS, runs well inside and outside, physical, catches the ball, and seems to be okay in pass pro.  Seems to check all the boxes for a Utah every down back.

Trailgoat
            Ute Fan
            @utahgoat

Bernard is not going to last running the ball 25-30 times a game. Agree on his versatility. KW is committed to a ground and pound, clock burning offense. All I’m saying is Bernard will need help carrying the run offense load to stay healthy.

Yergensen
              Ute Fan
              @yergensen

John White and Devontae Booker shouldered that load, but Bernard can’t? Okay.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Where do we go from here…