1280s top 60 in 60

Viewing 6 reply threads

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

So, here is what’s going to happen, Utah and BYU will have a balance on numbers but Utah will have 7 of the top 10 with three to BYU two of which will be 4 and 5. The top 3 will be Moss, Huntley and Shyne/Covey (the other will take spot 6.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Chase Hansen will be top 5. They also might do an overbalance to Utah this year again (More than 20 players – IIRC we had more than 20 last year)

Gay, Wishnowsky, Jaylon Johnson, etc all should be top 10. I don’t quite remember where they ranked Mitch last year. They’ve very clearly started getting rid of the USU players (I don’t know their roster well enough to say who could be in the top 20)

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

False. 

You guys are assuming a normal distribution based on level of talent and impact. The order will be as follows:

1. Tanner Mangum

1. Tanner Mangum

1. Tanner Mangum

….

60. Britain Covey

Joking aside, I’m also curious to see the breakdown. It’s also fun to see where players get placed in rankings. 

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

What I’d really like to see is the top 60 re-ranked at the end of the season.

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Oh yeah, good call. That would be really interesting to compare. 

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

I think Utah ends up with about 25 players on the list with 6 or 7 of the top 10 players and 12 to 14 of the top 20 which seems about right. 

Longview
      Ute Fan
      @longview

Truth: Utah should have 40 of the top 60.  12 to BYU, 8 to USU.

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

When we start blowing BYU out on a regular basis, I will agree with this. As it stands now, BYU has enough talent to keep the games within a single score.

2 2

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

***As long as Whitt is the Head coach***

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

I’ll take the 7 in a row and counting even if they aren’t blowouts.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

Of course I will take it as well. Just saying that the game is possibly needlessly close because he doesn’t want to lose vs beating their ass. 

UtMtBiker
            Ute Fan
            @utmtbiker

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

In 2016 they for sure did with Taysom Hill, Jamaal Williams, Mitch Matthews and Nick Kurtz on offense and Francis Bernard, Kai Nacua, possibly a few others on defense.  In 2017?  I don’t think they did.  I mean, I guess you can’t argue with the final score, but Huntley shredded their secondary, Moss still hadn’t come into his own and our redzone woes came back to bite us hard.  Defensively, I think we got complacent in the second half, similar to the Colorado game.  Definitely something that coaches need to work on this year.  It happened with West Virginia in the bowl game as well.  This year?  I just don’t see it.  It will probably play out that way, like it always does, but any way you match it up on paper, talent, altheticism or experience, BYU doesn’t match up well enough to keep it within a single score.  

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

So, honestly which BYU players would start for Utah this year?

I suspect that their TE Bushman would start for sure.  Beyond that, there would be a few others who could compete for jobs, possibly on the Oline.  But, there really is much there that Utah would interested in.  By all rights, we should blow them out of the water this year.  Will it happen?  Who knows.  By the time we play them either team could be decimated with injuries and it is still a rival game for them.  They will put everything into that game.

So, every Utah starter should be on the top 60 list for sure.  When you count returners, kickers, etc. – we should have about 26 players on the list.  Outside of Bushman, BYU should not have anyone in the top 10 IMO.  I don’t know about USU.  I just don’t know their roster well.

Utah players who should be in the top ten:

Both kickers

Huntley

Moss

Hansen

Covey (might be a stretch, since he has been gone for a couple of years)

Johnson

Blackmon

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I was really impressed with their TE Bushman last year. Dude had a great game against us, as a freshman I believe. I would love to see our tight ends be weapons. 

2 1

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Bushman is waaaaaaay overrated. He’s not a TE. He is a big, slow WR. Think a slow Kenneth Scott. 

He cant block. He has value as a TE as a WR but he’s has no value as a TE as a blocker. Which takes away his value as a TE as a WR. 

If he can learn to block, he’d compete to start for us. Right now? He’s a year away from seeing the field at Utah. 

Which shows how terrible ByU’s Talent is. 

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

I agree with Bushman.  Maybe Ula Tolutau, but as a fullback.  Can’t think of any others.  Definitely a handful of players would be in rotation, Gunner Romney has a lot of potential, but I don’t think any other starters at BYU would start at Utah.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Tolutau isn’t on the team anymore.

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

True, so just Bushman.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Yeah, Tolutau and Joe Tukuafu.

Oh, wait.

1 1

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

We should not get too carried away. Utah is much much deeper but they do have some players we could very much use. Takitaki was playing DE better that any 2018 option I have seen at Utah other than Anae. Butch was playing LB at a level there with that of our new guys. And Bushman, remember his is a freshman, can play with the folks we have set up for TE. Starter is a HS concept, to compete in the Pac 12 we need to have a lot of playing time from everyone in the 2 deep and beyond. Matchups often dictate playing a 2 most of a game and playing fresh in the 4th requires rotation everywhere possible. With that thought, these 3 could be playing for us.

2 2

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

I’d say the same for you. 

Takitaki would have played a lot for Utah last year, but Anae and Fitts are both a lot better. 

Like I said above, Bushman can’t block. He would not play for us as he is right now. He would have redshirted last year and wouldn’t see the field until he can block. Does he have potential to start for Utah? Absolutely. Would he have started already? Nope. He’d be a RS freshman right now. 

Butch would have never played at Utah. He looked good playing with Bernard and Warner. He was terrible without them. 

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

We should not get too carried away.  Utah is much much deeper but they do have some players we could very much use.  Takitaki was playing DE better that any 2018 option I have seen at Utah other than Anae.  Butch was playing LB at a level there with that of our new guys.  And Bushman, remember his is a freshman, can play with the folks we have set up for TE.  Starter is a HS concept, to compete in the Pac 12 we need to have a lot of playing time from everyone in the 2 deep and beyond.  Matchups often dictate playing a 2 most of a game and playing fresh in the 4th requires rotation everywhere possible.  With that thought, these 3 could be playing for us.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

We should not get too carried away.  Utah is much much deeper but they do have some players we could very much use.  Takitaki was playing DE better that any 2018 option I have seen at Utah other than Anae.  Butch was playing LB at a level there with that of our new guys.  And Bushman, remember his is a freshman, can play with the folks we have set up for TE.  Starter is a HS concept, to compete in the Pac 12 we need to have a lot of playing time from everyone in the 2 deep and beyond.  Matchups often dictate playing a 2 most of a game and playing fresh in the 4th requires rotation everywhere possible.  With that thought, these 3 could be playing for us.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 1280s top 60 in 60