Big 12 Schedule 2024-2027

Viewing 15 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

So, we likely keep the baylor game as an OOC home game? I thought I heard that rumored but nothing firm

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Yes, Utah football on insta confirmed that Baylor will be an OOC home game.

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

That’s probably what I’m remembering – which is pretty firm I guess 🤣

Utesbyfive
            Ute Fan
            @utesbyfive

AlohaUte
              Ute Fan
              @alohaute

I know it won’t happen, but of those 5, I’d kinda like to play Boston College. Just purely from a “match up that I’d enjoy watching” perspective.

cj13
          Ute Fan
          @cjohnsen13

It would be funny if we lost that game but made it to the championship game through a three way tiebreaker including Baylor but since it wasn’t a conference game they can’t include the head to head matchup

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Going to be challenging in 2024 having UCF and OkState as road games.

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

Initial thoughts: this sets us up nicely for a CFP run, especially if Rising and Kuithe are back. I like that we get UA and TCU (and Baylor) at home. The away games at OSU and to some extent UCF will decide our fate.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Colorado and ASU would like a word…

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

I hear ya, Miami. No away game is a gimme game, and both these teams could be much improved, but hopefully we’ll handle them.

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Interesting. There had been some scuttlebutt that the Big X!! was going to go down to eight conference games a season. Guess that wasn’t true.

//r00t4Utes
        Ute Fan
        @r00t4utes

So that is 9 conference games then?

Guess I missed that was known, I just remember people saying that they hoped it was 8.

CityCreekUte
          Ute Fan
          @citycreekute

I hoped it was 8 so we could play some more interesting teams.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

UCF ? Should be fine… I love the road schedule. we miss any heavy hitters. OSU will be tough on the road. Co maybe, but those lines aren’t going to fix themselves in one year.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Well, it looks like 9 conference games per year, we start with 5 road games. Sadly, all the other schools get a break from playing the Y but we don’t. We play only two Texas schools out of 4 per year. These have more value than playing the Y. Nice to see that we have only 2 east coast road games in 4 years. CU is 3 of 4 years with 2 on the road. We don’t have home and home schedules with some like we had in the Pac.

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

But we play in Texas every season. So that’s good.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Without looking yet at all 16 schedules, would think league might decide to have a some natural pairs (Kansas/KSU, Zona/ASU for example) playing every year.

13 3

ReconUte
      Ute Fan
      @reconute

Depressing.

CityCreekUte
        Ute Fan
        @citycreekute

So fking sad. No desire to go to Rice Eccles for those teams. No desire to travel to any of those s**tholes

Xanthis
          Ute Fan
          @xanthis

You have no desire to go to RES to watch the Utes play? I can understand not going on roadies, but wtf?

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

I’ll go watch the Utes in RES, no doubt about that. However, I will definitely not be traveling to any away games since, unlike the PAC, the locations of the schools aren’t really tourist destinations and the weather sucks most of the year.

Honestly, we did the best we could to stay relevant but the Big XII, to me, feels like the Mountain West Plus. I’m just hoping that Utah continues its successful trend in football so we’re able to have a place in whatever Super Conference is cooked up seven-ten years from now.

17 3

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

The only school we play every year is BYU. Any port in a storm but I’m already having regrets of being in the Big XII.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

One posting somewhere today talked of “protected rivalries” (which undoubtedly means Utah versus BYU every year we both remain in the conference. I’ll simply note that many local fans like that, many others don’t. It is what it is. But every trip to Utah County is one less trip to a much more distant venue.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

9 conference games. Big RIP.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Big RIP indeed. And in other news, the SEC still only plays eight conference games.

9 1

Staples
      Ute Fan
      @staples

Overall I like it. Maybe I’m of the minority opinion on here, but I do like that Utah/BYU is a protected rivalry. The games themselves are fun – a lot of the stuff surrounding them not so much. I also like that they seem to have taken into account the home/away rotation we were on with our fellow Pac-12 refugees. It’s a simple thing, but could have easily be overlooked as well.

fosternano
        Ute Fan
        @fosternano

It’s a fun game to an extent. Towards the end of the mountain west days the game was getting really out of hand with fans.

Playing every year could really cause even worse fan interactions. I’m grateful I’m in AZ so don’t have to see the worst of it.

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

Big 12 only plans to maintain four permanent rivalries: Baylor-TCU, Arizona-Arizona State, BYU-Utah and Kansas-Kansas State. The schedule also prioritizes geography with a conference that stretches across three time zones with matchups built to try to minimize travel disruption. The Big 12 will maintain a nine-game conference schedule.

So much for “Never play them again!”

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

It’s really a shame they only did those 4 permanent rivalries. It would be great for each team to have a rivalry aligned annually that can grow and develop. Cincinnati vs. WVU, Houston vs UCF, TTU vs Ok State, Iowa State vs Colorado could all develop well.

Also it’s a crime against humanity that Farmageddon (Iowa State vs Kansas State) is not happening every season.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Of three possible opponents that are currently ranked, we only play OSU. Unless someone gets better we may only play a single ranked opponent? Arizona is the best chance for a second, maybe Colo? Hope this does not mean we are back to needing to be undefeated to be noticed.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

when it comes down to human polls winning, no matter the opponent, is always valued higher than losing to a good opponent. The #2 team per the committee has played two teams with winning records to this point, neither of which is currently ranked. Their FBS opponent records are a combined 22-36. The only thing on their resume for 2023 is that they haven’t lost a game.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

exactly. I’ve been saying this for years. The only thing that matters is winning games. If we played a bunch of G5 level teams and went undefeated we’d be in the playoffs every single time we did that.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

There are no rub teams in this league. Therein lies the problem.

9 2

Extra Medium
          Ute Fan
          @runningreddude

If we don’t win the Big XII next year the season will be a disappointment. There isn’t a single game on that schedule that makes me nervous like UW, Oregon, or USC.

This sucks.

3 1

UteBacker
            Ute Fan
            @utebacker

Relegated.

RedRocks
            Ute Fan
            @hypodactylus

Really? TCU always seems to make me nervous. OSU is generally a solid team as well. Baylor almost beat us this year. TDS has the most recent win in our series. There are plenty of teams able to beat you if you don’t come to play.

That said, I will miss having Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA, etc on the schedule. Such a shame that the Pac12 is dead.

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

but there aren’t any games that we should lose on paper. That kinda sucks

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I’m surprised we’re not playing CU, ASU, AND AZ every year. Of course, we have the tds every year. I guess the pod schedule isn’t going to be a thing.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Not wanting to sound unappreciative of our new conference, but I’m really going to miss playing teams like USC, Oregon, Washington, UCLA… even Oregon State. Really got to know their programs well and we developed good rivalries with many of them.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Big 12 Schedule 2024-2027