Bryson Barnes has entered the portal.

Viewing 10 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Good luck to him. He’ll be a good QB somewhere.

SteelUte
      Ute Fan
      @steelute

Bummer! Would have liked to see him play the bowl game. Best of luck to him, hopefully he doesn’t end up in blue.

ColumbiaUte
        Ute Fan
        @columbiaute

I didn’t realize this until you said it. With him and Nate both gone, who is going to be at QB?

Caliman
        Ute Fan
        @elguapoute

DAMN IT! THAN THE TURDS DOWN SOUTH MIGHT BE RIGHT, THEY CLAIM SITAKE HAS BEEN IN CONTACT.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

His tweet says he will be at the bowl game.

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

Always gave his strongest fearless effort out on the field.

Good luck where you end up Bryson.

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

THIS COULD BE GOOD NEWS AT THE SAME TIME AS BAD NEWS. MAYBE THE COUCHES ARE BRINGING IN A TOP BACK UP QB, AND WAS TOLD TO LOOK AROUND???

13 1

SkinyUte
        Ute Fan
        @skinyute

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

The only P4 program I see him going to is BYU and he’s going to have a hard time picking up the starter’s job there. Oh well, he’ll forever be a part of my life because I got one of those “Pig Farmer” t-shirts. After this, I have to think that the Utes are picking up a QB in the portal.

One thing that doesn’t make any sense to me is why is he playing in the bowl game? Not that he wouldn’t be giving his all but what if he suffers a catastrophic injury? If he’s leaving Utah, it’s to his interest to cut the cord now, instead of after the bowl game.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’d play in the bowl game if I were him. He is either going to a G5 level program (and yes, BYU is a G5 level program) to fight for a starting spot on a probably not bowl eligible team or going the FCS route.

This will most likely be his last bowl game. Might as well play in it. He’s not going pro. Take every experience you can. If he has a horrible injury…then his career ends, and it was a pretty awesome career. If he doesn’t get hurt, he goes FCS and competes for a national title.

No reason not to play in the bowl game. Finish what you started.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Have you seen all the QB’S in the xfer portal over the past few days, some very high profile schools and players.

//r00t4Utes
        Ute Fan
        @r00t4utes

Meant to add this link in my list post
        Live link for those that might care

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I have seen them…Utah needs to go get one, even though it’ll be a hard sell with Cam coming back for another year.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

It is the best sell to someone with 2 years of eligibility.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

This is unexpected.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Perhaps Johnson isn’t the only QB who was unhappy with the way the room was run in 2023.

UofU Fanatic
          Ute Fan
          @uofufanatic

You might be right. But at same time it could just be an issue of wanting to play ball. Like he mentioned on radio he only gets to do this college football once in his life.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

Does anyone know if he will leave with a degree?

He may try to get a masters or go to a school that focuses of his career of choice.

leftyjace
        Ute Fan
        @leftyjace

I heard somewhere he was a graduate transfer with two years of eligibility left, but I could be wrong. He’s a hard worker though – I have no doubt he got his Bachelors in 3 years.

The kid is smart. He knows he won’t be in the NFL. He knows he has value as a starter at FCS or defent backup at FBS.

This is an opportunity for him to diversify between his bachelors and his masters, and have both obtained while on scholarship. Plus possibly he can hope to transfer to an institution that is top flight for his intended masters program.

But all of this is just pure speculation on my part. If I were him, that’s what I would do to prep for the real world post-football.

J Rocksville
      Ute Fan
      @jrocksville

Mack Howard is gone now too. I don’t think we have a choice but to bring in a transfer QB.

I appreciate Barnes and what he did for us, but he deserves to chase his dream and he wasn’t a P5 QB. I hope he goes someplace like SUU where he can be close to home and can be the star, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him land some place with a really high end academic profile where he can be a backup and get a free grad degree from a kick ass school.

Doesn’t sound like Howard was going to be a P5 guy either, and it doesn’t seem like N Johnson was going to get the reps needed to realize his full potential.

Maybe we can get one of those blue chip guys with 2-3 years eligibility left? Come in and compete to backup, then compete with Wilson next year for the starter. I honestly think that’s the most logical path forward unless we some how KNOW that Wilson is going to be ready to help us compete at the highest level by 2025.

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

One thing Bryson entering the portal tells me is that Cam must be passing the eye test in workouts.

Bryson has seen as much of how Cam is moving as anyone and must be thinking that Cam looks relatively healthy.

If Cam was still hobbling around everywhere, I’ve got to think Barnes would be sticking around.

Uphoric
      Ute Fan
      @uphoric

It also might mean the coaches have someone in mind to bring in and have been forthright with Barnes and the others. Remember too OnlyU mentioned “big” moves this off season and have good NIL funds to work with. . . Personally, I think the coaches have something going on. . .

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Bryson Barnes has entered the portal.