Clark Phillips appreciation post

Viewing 3 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

the growth he showed over the 2nd half of the year was absolutely incredible and he hasnt gotten enough recognition for it. The no camp/covid year obviously stunted his growth a little bit, but he didnt just take a leap towards the end of the year, he took leaps.

He came in with a different skillset than Jaylon and a different developmental curve. He didnt come in playing press man right away. That took away from his shine a little bit I think. But this kid is going to be our next round 1 guy and has a chance to be CB1 in the 2023/24 draft

Thanks for being a Ute CP3

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

one of several cp3 shoutouts by national media so far this offseason:

https://twitter.com/bagley_cole/status/1486094921454866434

2 4

younglurch
      Ute Fan
      @younglurch

Don’t get me wrong–I love CP3, but I don’t think he has the physical measurables to be CB1 in any draft. The guy has elite speed, athletcism, and seems to process the game well, but he’s too small to consistently match up against the Davante Adams and Julio Jones of the NFL. I think he’s got an NFL future for sure, but I think he’s more of a slot guy than anything else. Had he a couple more inches on his frame he would have been a 5* recruit and a lockdown CB on any WR. 

That said, I’m no expert so maybe someone can correct me. 

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

patrick peterson and jalen ramsey are both 6’1. They arent giants next to cp. Especially once he fills out.

Yeah he probably wont be a good match against the 6’4 freaks but against most WR he would be fine

3 1

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

CPIII has a solid NFL future. Expect to see CPIII on lock down against every teams best WR next season. Other than CPIII, I have very little confidence in other current CBs. Broughton had his moments, but really has limited experience and is coming off a very early season ending injury. Not sold on Marks or Latu as every down CBs. Secondary depth again will be a glaring weak spot on Utah’s roster. Just need the offense to score 45+ points every game. Go Utes!

Jake
          Ute Fan
          @jutahfootball

Broughton was also very solid. Depth was only a problem because we had 3 guys on the outside go out for the season which is very unlikely. Vaughn and Marks are quality depth. Latu is a safety. Free safety is the only question mark with the DB’s going into next year.

Trailgoat
            Ute Fan
            @utahgoat

Love the off-season discussions. Ramble warning! As Utah’s #1 CB on the other side of CPIII, Broughton’s played seven games as a CB counting the odd 2020 season and has not played a down of football since the BYU game when he was injured. It will be almost a full year before he lines up at CB against Florida who I am guessing goes right at him when Utah plays man defense. Is Broughton playing Spring Ball? No way trying to pick on Broughton here as I’m sure he’s got a ton of upside and will settle in with more experience, but as the next best CB to CPIII, with limited experience, he’s not close to the level of CPIII and the depth curve takes a big bend downward after Broughton.

Vaughn and Marks have less experience than Broughton and should improve and get in the rotation. CPIII absolutely needs to stay healthy all season. All that said, I am sure Shah gets these guys working and it’s all figured out by kick-off in Gainsville.

3 2

Johnny
        Ute Fan
        @johnny

Wait, what what??? Measurables?? WTF? He’s a specimen. What are you on about message board boy?

1 1

Jake
          Ute Fan
          @jutahfootball

5-10 at cornerback definitely isn’t a specimen. Definitely makes up for it with speed and athleticism.

Johnny
            Ute Fan
            @johnny

LOL @ not a specimen. Thank Lord you’re not on the backside. He is DEFINITELY a specimen. Period.

Jake
              Ute Fan
              @jutahfootball

Based off height and wingspan he’s not a specimen but he’s not undersized. He’s an athletic specimen though. No doubt. Not gonna argue that. 5-10 is average corner size. Nothing wrong with that. Go Utes!

stbone
            Ute Fan
            @stbone

Darrell Green – 5’9″
            Ronde Barber – 5’10”
            DeAngelo Hall – 5’10”
            Ty Law – 5’11”
            Darrelle Revis – 5’11”
            Aeneas Williams – 5’11”
            Joe Haden – 5’11”
            Champ Bailey – 6’0″
            Deion Sanders – 6’0″

Jake
              Ute Fan
              @jutahfootball

I did not mean he’s undersized by any means. He’s just not a “specimen” height or wingspan wise. But not small. Athleticism is a different story, he’s an athletic freak. Makes him play bigger than he is. He’ll do great in the NFL.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @utebiquitous

I completely agree. Clark is a sure pro – as a nickel corner. There’s no shame in that. I love his physicality. He’ll need that in the pros.

I hope he is a lockdown corner for us next year on outside receivers, but I don’t think that changes his trajectory in the NFL. I think his height affects where he’ll play on an NFL team.

Jake
      Ute Fan
      @jutahfootball

Love Clark! But if Jaylon Johnson wasn’t a first rounder, I doubt Clark will be. Not a knock on clark, Jaylon was just a beast.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

The injury history/concerns are what dropped Jaylon to the 2nd round.  Not skills or size.

Jake
          Ute Fan
          @jutahfootball

His shoulder definitely was a concern. That and poor evaluation and teams caring more about what school players came from than actual ability.

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

Cut the victim crap.  It was all injury speculation.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Clark Phillips appreciation post