Nate Johnson on KSL Sports Yesterday

Viewing 12 reply threads
      4 1

Charlie Foxtrot
      Ute Fan
      @charliefoxtrot

KSL Sports Interview With Nate Johnson

So listening to Nate Johnson on the KSL Sports interview and I can’t help but think that the QB situation this year was terribly, terribly botched by the coaching staff. Obviously this is from Nate’s point of view so take things with a grain of salt (he is actually very complimentary of both the coaches and the program). So I am reading between the lines here, but he mentioned near the end of the interview that Bryson was injured at some point during the Arizona game and they would not put him in the game despite the injury. I’m guessing that was the last straw and it’s why we didn’t see him in the last game against Colorado because he was done.

Cam coming back was the main reason to leave just because he didn’t want to have to sit for another year with limited reps. He also mentioned that the starting position going back to Barnes wasn’t even addressed with him. His biggest complaint was that he didn’t think he was given the necessary reps to develop and learn the position/offense in either practice or games.

12 4

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

He didn’t like his playing time. Therefore, it was botched?

6 2

stbone
      Ute Fan
      @stbone

It seems like Nate Johnson believes that development is synonymous with playing time. He also seems to have an inaccurate view of his performance when he did get game reps.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Practice reps when you are expected to start would presumably lead to higher likelihood of success and confidence during a game. Otherwise no players would practice. Unless you are Allen Iverson.

highlandute7
      Ute Fan
      @highlandute7

I like Nate and can’t blame him for leaving to pursue the opportunity to play QB somewhere else. He of course had ups and downs this year, like any player. I wish the staff would have given him more opportunities to play given the athlete that he is and the fact it was known that BB was limited in what he could do.

Wish him nothing but the best.

10 3

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

This is the nature of college football and not a botched coaching job. There is only one QB spot. Johnson was given plenty of opportunities to shine and was beat out, plain and simple. I hope he moves on and finds success, but he literally was made the starter and didn’t cut it.

8 1

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

I see things a bit differently. If I recall correctly, he was made the “starter” during week(s) he was still splitting reps with Cam up until Thursday or Friday. Sure he was technically the starter… but wasn’t given starters reps for the entire week(s). It’s hard to argue with the logic he wasn’t provided ample development and reps looking at the situation like that. After the Cam situation came to a head, Barnes got starter reps each and every week from then on.

I wish him the best. Not everyone gets to sit in the press box for a year with the OC, picking his brain then getting real starter reps the next year when he was the starter. And that started after SDSU. No splitting of reps from then on. This year, I think we were all surprised when Nate/Bryson were started so many games. Until the end, when it became apparent security (Barnes) trumped potential (NJ).

5 1

Charlie Foxtrot
          Ute Fan
          @charliefoxtrot

That’s how I see it as well. Was Nate ever in a situation to get starting reps and not split them with Cam? From that standpoint I can see why he was complaining about development opportunities and the chance to get better and learn from his mistakes. It also seems like (from his point of view) there was a lack of communication or of maybe setting the proper expectations when Barnes was made the starter again without a discussion with him. He said he felt like he wasn’t given an opportunity to earn the starting role back, and maybe he wasn’t ever going to get that this season which is why I mention proper expectations being set.

We are only hearing his side of the story, but to me he sounded a bit confused about the way some things happened and overall what his role was supposed to be. When we were down by multiple scores to Arizona and Barnes had been injured, why wasn’t he allowed to go into the game? I can see why he was frustrated at that point. As a fan I was frustrated that Nate didn’t get a shot in the second half of that game.

6 1

UteBacker
            Ute Fan
            @utebacker

In Nate’s defense, it definitely sounds like there were some communication issues there with the coaches. However, out of all of the positions on the field, you should never be entitled to be the QB. You have to go out and take that position. If our goal is conference championships and maybe even being part of the 12-team playoff, Nate wasn’t going to get us there. Just my opinion.

Utegator
        Ute Fan
        @utegator

The QB situation was severely botched this season and that is 95% on the coaching staff. Not putting NJ in during the UofA game probably is telling that they had already moved on from him.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

It was botched.

3 3

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

This season was a mess and things were not communicated well all across the line. This created some confusion.

IMO, I don’t think Nate has what it takes to be a D1 QB. But, I wish him the best going forward.

Uphoric
      Ute Fan
      @uphoric

There are a lot of reasons players can’t get on the field. Think about all the great ones in high school that didn’t amount to much. It’s not their lack of talent but more the ability know the plays, read defenses, and make split second decisions keeping them off the field. Think of a certain player from TDS now playing for the Jets. He was never that great in high school. . . but could throw the ball. Watching his plays you will notice they were scripted and he didn’t have to read the defense so much.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I never understood all the love the pro scouts showed Wilson. Yes, BYU played a pathetic 2020 COVID schedule. It made him look better than he was. But, the scouts should have known that. I had nothing against Zach, I just did not see what the scouts were seeing.

On the other hand, I have watched Isaac play a lot. I am impressed with his athletic skills, ability to read defenses, and desire to win. I am optimistic about his future. Will all this transfer into being a great college QB? I hope so…

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

A couple things about Zach.

Burrows was taken the year before and Burrows had the same career as Zach. 3-4 years of dogs**t play and an incredible last year.

Then…I mean…if you own the Jets…and Wilson pans out…Joe Namath was an incredibly average QB.

But if you win a Super Bowl with Wilson…he’s beautiful, charismatic, big arm, etc.

I can see how you could talk yourself into Wilson.

1 1

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

KW and AL need to make a push for Will Howard(Kansas State QB) to plug in the hole left by NJ. He already plays in the B12 and is an upgrade from BB, just in case CR gets re injured during spring ball. What you all think?

2 1

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I think the same as I do about all other good QBs entering the portal, of which there’s about to be a bunch. They’re only going to come to Utah if they have an ironclad promise from Whitt that they can compete for the starting job.

That’s the one downside of having Cam come back for another season. He’s got a leg up on all the competition so no decent QB is going to want to come to Utah. The problem is that we’re all thinking that he’s going to be the same QB post-injury. If he’s not, say he plays at the same level that Brewer played in 2021, what do you do? Go back to Barnes? This was the reason I thought that Whitt was ready to move on from Cam and his physical uncertainty.

1 2

Caliman
          Ute Fan
          @elguapoute

I agree, i’m also 99.9% sure CR doesn’t end the season, its really gonna suck if he goes down with 3-4 games remaining and without a decent back up. Rose, BB are not good enough to win the last 3-4 games.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

The uncertainty is not great, clearly not at all enough to move on from Cam. Any transfer brings uncertainty as well. One question we all have is how good and how ready is Rose? Insiders know more about both than we do. I don’t think Cam’s return kills our chances at a transfer. Someone with two years, two to play or a junior with a redshirt, may find Utah is still an opportunity. Transfers seem to take half a year to settle into a new offense and starters may get injured. On a high note, I was happy to hear Wilson plans to attend spring practice even if not playing, to learn as much as possible about the offense. I am willing to view Wilson apart from his brother after experiencing brothers more often are different than the same. I think the portal is an opportunity to get better but I don’t feel we come from a position with any desperation if Rose is a contender to be a P4 QB.

8 2

Uphoric
      Ute Fan
      @uphoric

I appreciate the love for NJ, but he was FOURTH string and for a reason. If Rose didn’t get hurt it would have been a totally different story.

4 3

Caliman
        Ute Fan
        @elguapoute

no one knows how good Rose really is, he might not even be better than BB.

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

And therefore may also be our best QB as no one knows…

3 2

Caliman
        Ute Fan
        @elguapoute

WE DO KNOW THAT HE’S A PURE POCKET PASSER QB, SO NOT DUAL THREAT; AND WE ALSO KNOW THAT BB HAS THE STRONGEST ARM IN THE QB ROOM, SO THAT PRETTY MUCH TELLS YOU HOW GOOD OF A QB ROSE WOULD BE.

Uphoric
      Ute Fan
      @uphoric

No, Caliman. We don’t know how we good Rose can be. By your metric the best QB would be the guy who is the tallest, through the farthest, and runs the fastest. It’s the guy who make the plays pure and simple!! How many QB’s have you seen who aren’t the fastest, have the strongest arms, and are not that tall succeed? Did you never play the game??

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Appreciate the interview it still doesn’t clarify any of the early decisions made with the QB position.
      I wish him luck and hope this is just a road bump in a successful life going forward.

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

I’m fine with him transferring so he can pursuit his goal of being a starting QB. But lets keep in mind the team sees him all off season and during practices. There is probably a reason they didn’t want to start him or play him. Because he doesn’t have the ability to play at the level needed. But if true, it kind of asks the question as to why he was recruited.

I think people clamoring for Johnson during the year when Barnes was playing poorly should realize that some of the wins we got could have easily been loses with worse QB play than what Barnes was giving us

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Nate Johnson on KSL Sports Yesterday