New CB Commit

Viewing 4 reply threads

ThurstonW
      Ute Fan
      @thurstonw

Latristan Thompson has committed to the UTES!!!

3 6

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I wonder what is going on with recruiting lately. Seems like we are competing with nobodies for the last couple of commits we’ve received. (note: I’m not bashing anyone, or claiming the sky is falling, just wondering what the deal is).

3 2

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

It was obvious in October that this wasn’t going to be a very good class, rankings wise. At this point, they are just trying to get bodies on board since apparently Rising coming back hasn’t proved to be the recruiting boon that this board believed it would.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I can’t recall, do PWOs commit along with scholarship athletes? I seems I remember some commits in the past that did end up PWOs. But I am not sure.

2 8

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Why am I getting downvotes when everyone seems to have the same sentiment?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

This is going to be the norm going forward. Stepping down in conference affiliation will have consequences

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

So, back to the MWC days of mostly 2-3 star recruits? Can you imagine where a guy like Alex Smith would end up after one stellar season at Utah?

1 2

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

I wouldn’t think it will go back to MWC level recruiting but probably more like early PAC 12.

4 1

Tyler Henry
              Ute Fan
              @recruits-utes

Tell me you don’t know what you’re talking about without telling me you don’t know what you’re talking about.

1 2

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

I said I think not that I know. But so far, it’s hard to argue about what I said.

I hope I’m wrong. Signing day is only a week away and unless there’s some big flips, it doesn’t look like I am.
                Also, the NCAA president stated as much that they want to make subdivisions within the FBS. that would be the P2 and everyone else. Unless the Utes make it into the P2, they won’t be getting better recruits. I think you may need to take a look around before claiming others don’t know what they’re talking about.

Charlie
            Ute Fan
            @charlie

I think one or two Big 12 teams will do fine. It will become critical to contend for the championship often, go to the playoffs often and be ranked often. Even more critical, send players to the NFL and have NIL to contend with the B1G and SEC. Not everyone in the Big 12 will suffer but most will. The key question is who is going to be the cream in the new Big 12? Utah has as good a chance as anyone on the short list of about 4. We also need to win a few more than we lose in the portal. It will take till the end of the year to get a feel for who is coming in the portal. If we can stay in the top 35 we can hope for a good result in the next realignment.

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Feels like early in the cycle, you get the ‘lower’ commits more quickly while the better ones take a little more time as they weigh their options. In some ways, there also is a ‘pecking order’ and some dominoes have to fall to cascade down. For example (big picture), Gabriel committing to Oregon will start the cascade of QBs in this great re-shuffle of starting and backup qbs this year. Lesser extent for other positions, but we are fighting for the same players with (better) offer sheets than some of those early commits we are seeing so far. I’d say give it a week or 3 and we’ll have a better idea of what Whit was talking about when he said there will be a lot of portal action.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

With an offer list like that, I would have questioned his sanity if he didn’t choose us.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

In case anyone was wondering, Thompson had offers from LA Tech, Incarnate Word, Austin Peay, Texas State AND Utah. That’s it. As you say, not a hard choice to make.

4 1

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I mean, the measurables are there…he seems like a kid in 2-3 years could be good. But this feels like a “oh s**t, we don’t have enough bodies at a position and we don’t have anyone lined up in the portal to take a spot so let’s go get someone.”

DataUte
        Ute Fan
        @scotwaye

Feels more like ‘here’s a play at building depth early while the players for our 2-deep are still being recruited to come here instead of another P5 school’

RustyShackleford
      Ute Fan
      @shakyute13

With everyone declaring or transferring and no big portal moves my outlook on next season has become much more bleak

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New CB Commit