Please prove me wrong 2024 football season…

Viewing 9 reply threads
      6 1

NorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @northernute24

But it’s looking more and more like Utah would have been better off going to the B10… not that we ever even had an invite, I just remember conversations about how we would be better off going to the B12 then being a mediocre team in the B10. The way this brief offseason/portal has looked, the B12 is going to turn into a breeding grounds for high school and mediocre transfer talent to grow and leave for SEC and B10. What big leagues do you know that that have 3 conferences? Someone has to be the ba$tard unfortunately.

This is certainly an overreaction… and I hope it stays that way, but it’s just got me stressing.

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

Whoever said we’d be better off in the XII than the B1G needs cognitive testing

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I thought the BigXII being a feeder conference for the P2 was common knowledge. I mean, it’s not really even an opinion at this point, is it?

13 3

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

There is a reason why all the Big 12 online warriors hate Utah…we don’t want to be in the Big 12.

The Big 12 sucks. Look at it this way:

In the PAC-12 we were the fifth best recruiting team…and I don’t think we could get any higher. I don’t think Utah would ever be able to consistently out recruit UW, UCLA, Oregon or USC.

In the Big 12? We are the best recruiting team and it’s not very close. We go from middle of the pack team, recruiting wise, to top dog.

That kinda sucks.

The only good thing about going to the Big 12 the expanded playoff. We should be a playoff team most years. It’s the MWC all over again.

3 1

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

if you look at the recruiting rankings we aren’t the best.

6 3

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

never let facts get in the way of a perfectly good rant

DataUte
          Ute Fan
          @scotwaye

247 for 2023 would have us just beating out TCU (3rd after Texas and OU). We were 3rd in PAC12. 2022 we would have been 2nd behind OSU (after taling Texas and OU out), almost same as WVU. Similar for 2021. So not a stretch to say we will be near or at the top.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Let’s look at recruiting rankings 3, 4, and 5 years:

3 year average class:
          1 – Utah (29)
          2 – Baylor (37)
          3 – Oklahoma (38)
          4 – TCU (40)

4 year average:
          1 – Utah (29.5)
          2 – TCU (35.8)
          3 – OSU (38.5)
          4 – Baylor (40.5)

5 year average (although this isn’t as important due to the season ending:
          1 – Utah (32.2)
          2 – TCU (34.6)
          3 – OSU (38)
          4 – Baylor (39.4)

The Big 12 does not recruit well. This is a major step down in talent, conference wise.

Now, this will all change when 2023 recruiting class is finalized, but Utah is the best recruiting team in the Big 12.

And for 2024, so far:

30 – TCU – 87.36
          31 – UCF – 88.41
          44 – Cincinnati – 86.22
          47 – Kansas – 87.36
          50 – ASU – 86.89
          51 – Arizona – 86.29
          53 – Colorado – 91.09
          55 – Iowa St – 86.04
          56 – OSU – 86.75
          60 – Utah – 87.61

So, we have work to do, but the papers haven’t been signed yet. And even though we are so low, it’s because we have so few recruits. Our average per recruit is only being Colorado and UCF.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Thanks for the data. My fear here is that Utah’s recruiting undergoes a regression to the mean once it’s part of the Big 12. We have to be realistic about this. The PAC 12 was a much more attractive conference to be part of than the Big 12 will ever be. That in itself probably garnered Utah some recruits that it won’t be able to get now as part of the Big 12. I mean, for example, how is Utah going to realistically keep 4-5 star home grown guys from defecting to Oregon or Washington or USC? I don’t think that’s very likely. It really leads me to believe that, with the exception that we do have a legitimate pathway to the CFP, Utah is back in a slightly improved version of the Mountain West.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

I agree with you here. And, I’m not sure we need to get top 20 classes anymore. We need top 30 classes. If we can still recruit around 25, we will just be better than anyone else.

And transfers become huge. You have to find a way to get those kids you recruited in HS that went to UW and Oregon who didn’t see the field and now want some cash and to play. And Whitt is smart.

We usually get some flips close to signing day but I wonder if Whitt is leaving a lot of spots open for transfers. Like many have said, there are over 1,000 kids in the portal and most haven’t gone anywhere yet.

Recruit the HS kid you think can be a star, and if you don’t get them, immediately flip to the transfer portal. But I still think we flip a few kids and get some late commitments and end up between 25-35.

1 1

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Don’t say that out loud. People on this board will tell you that you have no idea what you’re talking about without offering any counter points.

DataUte
              Ute Fan
              @scotwaye

I do wonder if the pitch becomes, ‘you might get some nice shoes, but you’ll be wearing them on 50+ hours of flights during the season going from west coast to your B1G away games.’

11 2

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

I would pump the brakes on the “Utah is King” narrative. We really have no idea how the move to the Big 12 is going to affect the team. Maybe we stop getting the same level recruits because now we’re in a less attractive, lower ranked league. Maybe Rising and Kuithe come back but aren’t the same players.

I do know that no legacy member is going to make it easy for Utah or give the Utes a pass. And lest we forget, Colorado, ASU, and Arizona, you know, teams that have historically recruited better than Utah and are as deep-pocketed, if not more, than the Utes are in the same conference under what seems competent management.

Our trump card is Whitt but I’m truly starting to wonder how much longer he wants to put up with the unpredictability of today’s college football.

Charlie
          Ute Fan
          @charlie

Initially I was not concerned that recruiting in the Big 12 would be a change. I get that recruiting will take a dip from the last two years. However, my concern will grow if our recruits don’t have other offers from other power 4 conferences.

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

I agree. We should pump the breaks on “Utah is King.” We will have a challenge next season. I hope we end up on top, but KSU, Arizona, OSU, WV and others will have something to say about that.

2 1

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Nah. We have built something great here. Or Whitt and company have. We should be the best team in the Big 12. And if we want to continue being on top, we need to continue to recruit as high as we have. And kids don’t want to go to a team that hopes they can be number 1. They want to go to a team that knows their goal is to win the conference and get to the playoffs and win those games as well.

We can beat anyone. We’ve shown that time and time again. And now, in the new Big 12, we have the most talented team in the conference.

GREAT! Let’s go to work, get some new talent to add to what we have and go kick some ass.

We just got done playing UW, Oregon, USC, etc. Forgive me for not fearing Kansas State, Arizona, Oklahoma State and West Virginia.

Let’s hope they get to our level so football doesn’t revert back to the MWC days, where it’s undefeated or bust and beating a UNM team by 10 feels like a loss.

Utah
              Ute Fan
              @utah

And we had a challenge this season: Playing USC, UW, Oregon with no QB. Then playing Arizona with no defense AND no QB AND no RB.

That was a challenge.

Odds are, that won’t happen again for a long time. Look at our injuries: QB1, QB2, RB2, RB3, RB1 was sort of injured, TE1, TE2, DE1, LB1, LB2, LB2, S1, S2.

Come on. THAT was a challenge.

And now you want to tell me that Kansas State is on par with that?

*Joe Biden Meme = Come on Man*

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

The B12 will only get a couple of teams in the expanded playoff on a good year. Look at how the committee just F*****d FSU. take that same scenario and apply that to an SEC or BIG team and they’re in regardless of who’s playing QB.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

I said that when it happened…if it was Alabama’s QB (Millroe) who was out of the season but they were 13-0, does anyone in their right mind think that the committee would have left them out? That’s why the committee’s whole argument for the inclusion of Alabama over FSU is absolute bulls**t. I hope the State of Florida’s Attorney General takes up the issue and sues the CFP Committee and ESPN for antitrust violations.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

And that’s why I don’t think B12 will be really competitive in the CFP. the BIG and SEC will get 4-6 schools in based on perceived SOS according to the committee. The B12 and ACC will get 1-2 and the G5 will get one.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

That perceived stronger SOS really is a self-licking ice cream cone. What they need to do is award each P4 conference two automatic slots to the CFP and base the remaining four strictly on W-L percentage. You can also create tiebreakers as required.

Central Coast Ute
                Ute Fan
                @flip2848

Agreed. But that might not make the BIG or the SEC more money. It’s not about football or equity. It’s about making the rich, richer. The NCAA pres. Is even talking about making a new subdivision for schools that bring in less than $100m in athletic revenue. Only a few B12 teams would make that cut and Utah isn’t one of them. My guess is, the ones that do, won’t now that they won’t be playing UT, OU, USC, UCLA, UO, and UW. I guess we’ll see how it all shakes out.

DataUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @scotwaye

FY2022, Utah brought in $116M revenue. 2019 was $100. We are good 👍.

The Miami Ute
                    Ute Fan
                    @themiamiute

Here’s the current list of public schools:

NCAA Finances: Revenue and Expenses by School

Central Coast Ute
                    Ute Fan
                    @flip2848

Now look at the last 5 year average and throw out 2021. It’s too small and is a result of covid. Utah was under $100m every year. With the smaller brands in the B12, I would expect revenue to drop. I’m probably wrong, and I hope I am, but it’s not looking great.

The Rising Cam
      Ute Fan
      @tyrusaurus

There are 4 Levels Now:

– B1G & SEC
      – ACC & XII
      – G5
      – FCS

Set your expectations accordingly.

4 4

uteinzoobcounty
      Ute Fan
      @uteinzoobcounty

Let’s see how a season or two plays out first 😂. I know change is hard. But I have seen the Utes in the MWC play Wyoming, and been to the colosseum to see USC, now I get to go to Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia and Ohio (gross). Maybe even Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Miami if things fall right?

Let’s just enjoy the ride

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

You must be made out of money if you plan to go to all those away games.

1 2

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

What a strange post

lgt4141
      Ute Fan
      @lgt4141

I trust Coach Whittingham and his last 20 years as coach of the Utes. Of course things will change in a new conference but Utah will be a tough, competitive team because that’s who they are. I, for one, am excited for the Big 12 and think it will actually be more fun as fan bases seem to be much more engaged and passionate than Pac 12 fan bases. At the end of the day, college football is entertainment. It is like a great TV show I can’t wait to watch every year and always surprises you. I look forward to watching it and seeing how it all plays out.

Go Utes!!!

10 1

RoboUte
      Ute Fan
      @hamplate

“better off going to the B10… not that we ever even had an invite”

I would’ve been better off with a winning lottery ticket and a face like brad pitt. Whats the point of discussing luxuries that never existed

3 6

NorthernUte
        Ute Fan
        @northernute24

The same as discussing anything else on this chat board buddy, not much different than your unnecessary comment here lol. It’s all just for entertainment purposes.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

exactly. Then he replies to you like you are the idiot… The irony is too much.

thirtyfour-thirtyone
      Ute Fan
      @thirtyfour-thirtyone

This was a setback, for sure, but was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Toga! Toga! Toga!

We are gonna need to scrap, but the opportunity is there to try to climb the mountain again, and I hope we are up to the task. We really do have some talented players in the pipeline, even at QB, and especially on the lines, which bodes well for the next year or two. If we can pick up a few key privateers, lookout.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Please prove me wrong 2024 football season…