Sideline Sports Network Tabs Cam as Possible QB1 in 2023 Draft

Viewing 7 reply threads

younglurch
      Ute Fan
      @younglurch

Circulating on Ute twitter this morning. Sidelines Sports Network claims Cam Rising is being discussed as QB1 for next year’s draft. I am happy to see him getting some hype, but Cam over CJ Stroud and Bryce Young? I’ll believe it when I see it. 

https://twitter.com/Sidelines_SN/status/1489072185310339078

I think with a solid year 2 Cam can make some noise on draft boards, but even with my personal bias I don’t see him as being QB1.

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Completely agree. Love me some Cam Rising but we saw what elite QB play looked like in the Rose bowl with Stroud. Bryce Young’s level of competition in the SEC and Heisman trophy are quite the accomplishments. 

Don’t know the other guys that well, but Cam seems to have the intangibles and maybe that’s what the NFL guys like about him? He’s cool under pressure, his teammates love playing for him and he’s got a good attitude. Maybe they are assuming Cam would look as good as those two with elite oline and wr play, which both of those guys benefit from? Who knows. 

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

Let’s reverse that. You saw Stroud throw dimes to wide open 5 star dudes being covered by a RUNNING BACK!!(call back to Micah’s twitter). That game was fish in a barrel for him.

You saw Cam playing like a boss raising the play of those around him and hanging 40 on THE OSU who had the competent secondary.

prestitute
          Ute Fan
          @prestitute

We also saw Stroud that do that against a lot of very competent defenses. Granted, he has great receivers. 

FtheY
          Ute Fan
          @fthey

Micah stepped up and balled out given the scenario, not taking anything away from him. But yes, I agree it probably made for easier throws for Stroud.  

Agreed on the talent too. Let’s not pretend OSU does have an elite oline and WR corps.

And yes, Cam does raise the play of those around him. Those intangibles are what separate him from others. 

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

Not all of stroud’s great throws were to guys guarded by Bernard. There were a few throws to the guy phillips was guarding, and he was blanketing the receiver. Stroud had several perfect throws that game.

Ute2
            Ute Fan
            @ute2

My point is, why are we anointing Stroud and downing on Cam on this board while Cam is getting that kind of love???

Not taking anything away from stroud, (although if the qbs were reversed cam would’ve thrown for 599 yards too) but c’mon my dudes!

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I love Rising and what he does for our team.  But, NO WAY is he QB1 in the draft next year.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I’ve never seen a qb performance like stroud one the RB. Rising was great but that guy is clearly better

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Lol, no, not unless he has an unbelievable season. But I do think he’s going to be drafted, with the team picking him believing that he can be a starter.

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

I love Cam, and I think he has the potential to be drafted. But he is not QB1 off the board in the draft. That’s crazy talk.

AlohaUte
        Ute Fan
        @alohaute

Unless, of course, he totally balls out next season. Today, you are 100% correct. But perhaps by the end of the season, who knows.

perceptionate
      Ute Fan
      @perceptionate

I believe it. To be real, it would take a huge leap forward this season, but from what I’ve seen, Rising has the caliber to make the needed improvements.

Stroud and Young throw to 5* receivers with visible height, speed, and size advantages over the defense. Rising does not have that luxury. And as @fthey pointed out, it’s the intangibles. Rising is a true leader, and his teammates love playing with him.

Another thing about Rising: our o-line looked mad terrible under Brewer– but it looked like the best in the nation under Rising. I know the team made a lot of improvements throughout the year, but there’s something to be said about Rising’s ability to play and make great decisions under pressure. That will translate nicely over to the NFL.

prestitute
      Ute Fan
      @prestitute

Definitely an NFL QB, but maybe more like 1-5 in the 2024 draft. He is great, and a gamer, but he isn’t quite the level of a Stroud or Young yet. Granted, less weapons, too, but Stroud was the real deal, and Young is similar. Cam can develop into that kind of a guy, and he is as much of a gamer or more than any of them, but he still needs more development.

Utesbyfive
        Ute Fan
        @utesbyfive

He needs to throw deep more consistently. I have my suspicions that since he will have had another off season to work out his surgically repaired shoulder, he may be better at going vertical.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Well, how many times is the final QB1 known at the beginning of the season? Rising has an arrow pointing up as nearly vertical as anyone. Coming off a major injury, not playing a full season, he ended the season playing maybe better than almost anyone 10 full games into a career. He makes something out of nothing as well as the best of them. With more games and more distance from his injury and a first offseason knowing he is the guy, I think he will continue to improve at a good pace. Rising certainty is not the front runner by any means, but it is a prediction of things at the end of next season. Several QB have a shot at that as a possibility and Rising is one of them. As Utesbyfive pointed out, his ability to improve and master his long throws will be key.

How many saw Alex Smith coming?

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Sideline Sports Network Tabs Cam as Possible QB1 in 2023 Draft