@admin

ayoriver
      Ute Fan
      @ayoriver

Ritchie!!!

Da Vinci Ute
      Ute Fan
      @davinciute

Why does Sione Vaki make me want to vote for Pedro?

GameForAnyFuss
        Ute Fan
        @gameforanyfuss

Because if you vote for Vaki, all your wildest dreams will come true.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Some interesting names on there. Many outside the program don’t think Barnes should be on the team – if posts are to be believed – but the TEAM wants him on the leadership council.

Rising and Kuithe as spring captains shouldn’t be surprising given their tenures and stature when healthy but they can’t participate.

Also Ritchie being on the council when he’s been gone for two years speaks to the impression he made in 2020. I’m hoping that either he or Bishop can fit into the hybrid LB/S role that Sewell filled so well in 2020/21. Barton moving inside – there will be growing pains- and eventually filling the Chase Hansen role from years past with either Reid or Bishop alongside and Damuni would be an impressive 4 – 2 1/2. I really feel like this Ute D is a lockdown corner and elite pass rusher from being among the top 10 in the country. Hopefully Broughton / Vaughn and Filinger / O’ Toole / Ellis step up in either spring or fall to make it happen.

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

You don’t believe Battle will have anything to say about the CB position?

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

I tend to take a wait and see approach with transfers. For every Darren Carrington who as ready to be a star the minute he stepped on campus I can give you 20 names that either needed time to work themselves into a leading role, never made it to campus, or only played special teams / garbage time.

Everyone is free to make their own determinations but I’d rather see Battle win a starting spot before I start claiming he will be as good as McCain/Smith/Jaylen/CP3.

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

I’m not at all saying Battle’s going to be the next CPIII or JJ, but neither will Vaughn/Broughton IMO.

However, I believe they all have what it takes to be well above average for us….Our CB room will be solid overall, including Battle IMO.

Who knows, but perhaps one [or more] of our incoming freshmen becomes elite at some point?

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Sure, but my original statement was:

I really feel like this Ute D is a lockdown corner and elite pass rusher from being among the top 10 in the country.

So when you follow with “You don’t believe Battle will have anything to say about the CB position?”, that is the premise I am speaking to.

D T
                Ute Fan
                @azute1

Actually, here’s what you stated—

“Hopefully Broughton / Vaughn”

That’s what I was referencing & responded to you accordingly.

RedUte14
        Ute Fan
        @redute14

i have less faith in the passing rushing than the cornerback position

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

I wanted Barnes to be successful because it would have been a great story.  (Walk on Pig farmer from Milford Utah leads the Utes to Pac12 championship…)  I am fine with him being on the leadership council.  However, if he is our backup QB again this season – it means we are having a difficult time finding/developing a top QB for the future.  I hope that Johnson steps up and becomes the QB of the future.

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

My hope is we elevate NJ to QB2 coming out of Spring Camp.

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

I think we’re forgetting that Barnes came in and won a game for us against a good Wazzu squad.  He’s no Cam.  I too hope Nate makes the leap.  But the Barnes bash is silly.  There’s a big difference between having a week to prep and being thrown in against an elite defense midway through the third.  Let’s cut the guy some slack.  He’s a good backup.

2 1

Yergensen
            Ute Fan
            @yergensen

Snoop and Cam win games, Barnes manages games. Barnes’ Wazzu win looked nothing like Snoop’s win against UW or Cam’s win against USC. Your defense and run games have to be elite to win championships with game managers and even then it’s rare. Even at QB2 he’s a blocker taking reps away from higher talent guys. Are you willing to lose Nate Johnson and/or Brandon Rose for Barnes? Good chance it will happen if he stays at QB2.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

If Johnson or Rose can’t beat out Barnes, then yes I am willing to lose them or have them switch positions.

Huntley a full complement of offensive starters against UW. Rising had everyone except Kuithe against USC. Both had been getting starter reps for over a year before those games. Barnes found out 30 minutes before the WSU game that he was starting, Kincaid was banged up from the week before, Glover was getting his first start with Bernard hurt, Jackson not ready for a full load and Thomas MIA. The situations aren’t even comparable and still Barnes led the team to a win on the road against a really good defense.

highlandute7
          Ute Fan
          @highlandute7

I also hope Johnson can get to QB2 or even QB1 if CR isn’t fully healthly for FL. Don’t sleep on Rose though either. Just sayin’.

Brettski
            Ute Fan
            @brettski

Agreed. Hopefully a true backup can emerge this spring and fall.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Never mind. I like Barnes as our #3 guy.

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

I think we are quite set on S and LB. Ritchie and Bishop match any safeties we have ever had and Vaki looks to become special as well. Three awesome players for 2 spots. Barton, Reid and Damuni may also give us 3 starters for 2 positions. We missed Fillinger the last part of the season, I think his return with O’toole, Ellis and Fano development can give us 3/4 starters for 2 spots. The CB position requires one or two of the new guys to develop to give us quality depth. It would appear that Battle will give us a good option to guard tall WRs in the red zone which would be nice. It is good to have most here in the spring to refine what should be a very good defense.

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

I’m looking forward to seeing what Battle brings to the table….An experienced 6’4” SEC starting CB….At the very least, he’ll push the others to better their games, IF not outright win a starting position.

Blocker’s another kid I’m excited about….AND I read somewhere about Snowden potentially seeing time at NB.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Spring 2023 Captains and Leadership Council