Transfer portal needs and potential prospects

Viewing 8 reply threads

Ghost of the HEB
      Ute Fan
      @deseretgentlman

The transfer portal is such an intriguing part of the off-season. We’ve already addressed one major need through the portal at LB. Mohamoud Diabate is listed as a 4-star transfer on 247 and is rated as the second best 2022 transfer LB. Highly rated portal guys like him are few and far between, but here are a few more Utah needs and a potential wishlist based on players who are currently in the portal:

Safety
      With McKinney and Davis being done, Bishop being young, and Hubert not playing significant snaps since 2019, safety is the spot where we really need to add experienced depth. There aren’t currently many highly rated safeties left in the portal, but here are a few that I’d look at:
      -Nate Thompson 6’2 200 junior from Duke. Had 40+ tackles each of last two seasons.
      -Chris Adimora 6’1 204 Junior from Texas. Had very productive 2020 season. Didn’t play much in 2021. Possibly injury related?
      -Osita Smith 6’2 215 Sophomore from Maryland. Got buried in depth chart at Maryland, but intriguing measurables.
      Defensive End
      With the departure of Tafua and Carlton, and our inability to apply any pressure in the Rose Bowl, I feel it might help to add another piece or two to the DE room. Diabate will likely be used in some edge rushing roles, but he does not have the size of a true DE. Here are a couple portal DE prospects:
      – Isaiah Johnson 6’3 243 Senior from Fresno. Underwhelming stats, but he’s one of only uncommitted DEs in the portal with experience
      – Chris Murray 6’3 240 Freshman from TCU. Redshirt in 2021. Good prospect coming out of HS.
      Wide Receiver
      This is a tough one. Everyone clamors for better WR talent, but we do not use WRs in such a way to attract elite prospects. We need to utilize current WR talent better before better talent will be attracted. There’s a ton of WRs in the portal. Here’s a few:
      – Jermaine Burton 6’0 200 sophomore from Georgia. West coast kid. Currently top uncommitted WR in portal. No chance we get him but great wishlist type player.
      – Taj Harris 6’2 180 senior from Syracuse. 151 career catches, over 2,000 yards. Played with Landon Morris.
      – Demetrius Cannon 6’3 205 from Louisville.

utahby05
      Ute Fan
      @utahby05

Excellent post. I 100% agree with your list of positional needs.

I trust Utah will be able to attract a quality Safety or 2 – to shore that position group up. 

I think, the biggest Need is 1 or 2 Rush Ends that are also big enough to contain the outside edge. I realize these guys are rare and therefore hard to find. But, a big, speed rushing End can be disruptive to any offense. So, I’m hoping Utah can attract at least 1, difference maker, type D End. 

Would love to see Utah bring in a Darren Carrrington, type Wideout. Someone like that could really enhance the Offense. But, definitely harder to get players like that to come to Utah. 

Can’t wait for Spring Ball to start. 

Go Utes!!

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I am pretty happy with where we are at right now.  I hope that some new recruits will fit in at Safety.  I have heard good things about Hubert’s progress.  Defensive end is a bit of an issue.  However, I am sure Scalley has a plan.

After Spring practices, there will be a completely new group of kids entering the portal.  As you said, we need to keep our eyes on the portal and make a move when there is someone we need.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Utah needs DB’s in a bad way.

Ute2
        Ute Fan
        @ute2

I think the corner side of things is kinda stacked!

safeties might be another story…
        but don’t doubt there may be some young studs in the room we don’t talk about.  Sione Vaki comes to mind

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

Also Latu! It’s Latu right? I liked him when he was getting some run earlier

rbmw263
            Ute Fan
            @rbmw263

kamoi latu. I love his potential but he probably wasnt ready to be playing last year. Showed flashes, not great overall

Ute2
              Ute Fan
              @ute2

Yeah but he was a young feller . Another offseason could make a real player!

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

They need depth. Vaughn Phillips and Broughton are all very good.

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

And marks!

He’s probs not our lockdown guy but did get a lot of reps this year and I think having him in the room is a big deal!

That makes 4 dudes right off the bat that can play. I was a big Vaughn fan this year too.

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

I believe we are still in the mix for Gabe Reid. If he comes to Utah he’d play DE and would be a huge get for us IMO.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

Solid breakdown. Utah is in a unique position with the transfer portal targeting kids in a few key positions they need. Fan guess, KW and the coaches are being methodical and patient with who they go after and bring in. Cultural fit vs self-interest athlete looking for a pay day or a quick fix to improve his draft status (Insert Travis Dye/USC transfer add-ons, Charlie Brewer, etc). Will save my USC swap meet take for another post…long off-season ahead :).

It’s a testament to the Utah program foundation the roster is intact with players at Utah buying for the family culture and team atmosphere. That said, as KW mentioned there will be a second wave of transfer activity after Spring Ball into the summer on both sides. Utes likely lose some younger players as well and are also evaluating current players during the Spring that step up. We will see some diamonds in the rough step up like Vele, Bishop, etc. Ute roster is loaded with a bunch of young, developing players. This Spring is a huge evaluation period for players in the program and we will see kids step we never knew about.

Agree on an experienced edge rusher. DB/Safety: Scalley and Shah will find the right player(s). Utes should be good at slot and bruiser TE with the Idaho kid coming in as Fotheringham’s role, tough act to follow. Ennis, Vele, still have huge upside and have the off season to work on route running, and timing with the loaded QB room. Would not be surprised if Fotheringham gets drafted, he for sure makes a NFL roster either way.

WR is intriguing to to me. Bumphis should be settling in and it’s time for him to demonstrate growth in the WR room. Does Utah have the WR talent already on the team? Not counting the new recruits, Utah has 14 or so WRs on the current roster. Dixon has all the talent to be the deep threat guy. If Dixon spends time working on improving his hands he’s more than capable. I am huge Vele and Ennis fan and there’s still room for improvement from both of these guys. What about McClain, Parks, O’Toole? Ludwig is a kid in a candy shop right now with all the weapons he has coming back on offense. Kuithe, Kincaid, and now Morris are going to be very hard to contain. I am guessing Ludwig keeps building on the current foundation and also puts in work to a develop a deeper route pass game. Go Utes!

Ghost of the HEB
        Ute Fan
        @deseretgentlman

Honest question. How do you get UteHub to let you make spaces between your paragraphs? It lets me have a space after my first paragraphs, but after that the rest just blend together even though I’m putting spaces between them while writing.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

it has never been an issue for me.

i just hit enter twice

and start a new paragraph

works every time

Duhwayne
            Ute Fan
            @duhwayne

When I read your post

It seemed to me at first

It was haiku

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

Haiku’s are easy,
              Sometimes they do not make sense:
              Refrigerator

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

My main hope is that no QB’s come in to compete with Rising for the starting job.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard about his injury status?

Crazyforu
        Ute Fan
        @crazyforu

Compete with Rising? Really?

Its Cam’s team, period. Utah isn’t bringing anyone in to compete with Cam, as long as he is here.

Not saying Cam is Tom Brady, there is zero debate or competition at QB though.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

I guess you haven’t been around for the past two seasons. My post was mostly tongue in cheek. And I didn’t say they should bring someone in. I just don’t want them to like they did the last two seasons. Both of those QB’s were very underwhelming.

Crazyforu
            Ute Fan
            @crazyforu

Last 2 seasons? Come on, I’ve been watching this team since I was a kid in the 80’s, I’m completely familiar with this team, its good/bad.

Central Coast Ute
              Ute Fan
              @flip2848

Then you should be familiar with the transfer portal QB’s that have been brought in the past two seasons to compete with Rising.

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

I’m okay with competition for Rising as I don’t expect him to be on the hill for the ’23 season. I don’t see the need for a QB transfer though with Jackson, Barnes, Johnson and Rose. If Ludwig is half the QB whisperer people believe, he should be able to have one of those 4 ready to take the reins in ’22 if needed and ready to start the following year. Otherwise, I would be questioning his evaluation skills if Utah keeps giving out scholarships to QB’s who aren’t capable of running the O at a high level.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Safety gets a big help when Herbert returns, Latu will figure in and Vaughn will likely return to safety from helping out the CBs. Stewart from ’21 and Davis in ’22 are in the development stage. Another safety would be good but must be a candidate to start rather then depth.

DE I think is the critical need from the portal. A find that can be a starter is needed, someone that upgrades last years rush would be awesome.

WR is a position we should be able to get. Replacing Covey’s targets should be attractive to anyone. We need to sell the value of our WR targets when the defense is focused on the run game and the TEs. There is no reason an elite WR can not excel in our offense.

Many say the bump in recruiting from a great year takes a full recruiting cycle to be realized. I think the portal provides more opportunity for immediate results. Maybe there will be a surprise in the February signing day by someone not on our radar. The coaches will take care to make sure any new developments fit in well at Utah and that does narrow the options.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

WR Burton is being touted as a package deal with JT Daniels.

Kiffin was in Athens chatting with them both.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Transfer portal needs and potential prospects