Update on week two of Spring ball

Viewing 8 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Update

Interesting article on how spring practice is progressing. A couple of points:

– Rising is looking great
      – Close race for QB2. Wildon has done a great job of learning the offense.
      – Pitman looks like the best WR in practice.
      – Bernard appears to be RB1.
      – We are loaded at tight end.

I love Utah football. I hope that things fall into place and we have a great 2024 season.

Go Utes!!!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Sing to me.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Who am I sir!!!!!!!

1 5

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

i feel like it’s a really bad thing for pitman to look like the best wideout.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

I heard that Singer was head and shoulders above everyone in the WR room.

The Miami Ute
          Ute Fan
          @themiamiute

I’d read that Pittman was doing well but that Singer was very much WR 1.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

Let’s not forget, 65% of being a good receiver at Utah is blocking and Pittman is a bulldog in that arena.

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

Why would this be bad? Pittman, when healthy was a very good WR at both UofNike and FSU, he has a great pedigree and is overall very talented.

Also, per coach Whitt, Singer isn’t currently practicing due to a minor lower leg injury.

2 1

RedUte14
          Ute Fan
          @redute14

330 yards at FSU
          547 yards at Oregon
          is not “very good” to me

the man has not produced consistently and is injury prone. Has me worried for those reasons alone.
          Also I didn’t know singer was not practicing.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

In the blocking game, he’s tier 1, and a lot of players will get big plays because of him.

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Weren’t those numbers from his Freshman and Sophomore seasons? Those are pretty dang good for someone that young playing for teams that typically have loads of WR talent for him to compete with.

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

This article talks about Pitman. A previous article said that Singer was the leader of the pack. This sounds good to me. It means that Rising will have a bunch of guys to throw including Parks, Kuithe, King, McClain and more.

Pitman has yet to live up to his potential in part because of injuries. Maybe this will be his year.

6 3

RedUte14
          Ute Fan
          @redute14

Every year they hype up the wideouts, every year they are below average. I only have faith in Singer. Not buying into the rest of it.

Rick
            Ute Fan
            @utebiquitous

Come on Red,
            Hope springs eternal. It’s part of being a Utah football fan.

Actually, I do think we have reason to be optimistic with Singer, Lyons and Pittman. Although, their success largely depends on a healthy Cam Rising. I noted something Vele said yesterday at the Pro Day. He spoke of a “vanilla offense” last year. That cannot be the case this season with the wideout and tightend rooms that Utah has.

Anfernee
        Ute Fan
        @anfernee

As a lifelong Utah football fan, I 100% understand the hesitancy with WR hype. Especially in March. But I can promise you that Lyons, Singer and Mycah are NOT the receivers we are used to on the hill. NFL pedigree is a real thing and Pittman’s dad was over a decade in NFL and Super Bowl champ. Older brother was 2019 All American at SC and the alpha WR for the Colts currently. And there’s a reason Mycah was a 4☆ recruit and the #13 overall WR in his class. He’s battled some injuries and been humbled. I’d bet at least two Costco hot dogs he’s a stud this fall.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

“Dead heat for QB2”

Whit’s next t-shirt.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Singer is banged up. Very minor injury but he’s missed time. That said, one of my picks for a breakout is Pittman. He’s strong as hell and highly talented and is fully healed for next season.

Healthy he would start at up to 90+ of P5 schools. He’s a forgotten man and obviously didn’t contribute much last year but don’t sleep on him. He catches everything in his area and is strong as hell. A willing blocker sure but with a decent QB under center he will be an offensive weapon.

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

OnlyU, I’m sure you know this already. Some of his FSU game highlights show some nasty blocking. It may not show up in practice as it would be friendly fire, but he could be key for us in the run game as well.

We’ve slept on Pittman, that’s for sure. I hope he and our best WR talent gets sufficient reps and targets. We need to scheme and rotate WR better.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

I thought Wilson was supposed to have surgery and sit out this coming season?

UtesRule
        Ute Fan
        @utesrule

It was a minor surgery. Not sure if it has happened yet or not, but it won’t keep him out at all.

#3bballer
          Ute Fan
          @3bballer

I heard they are looking for a cadaver match for Wilson’s surgery. I didn’t know much but that sounds somewhat serious.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

Doesn’t he have a brother who could donate some tissue? 😉

Utes 69
      Ute Fan
      @slc123

I can only go by last year and I know Pittman. Was somewhat injured I seen nothing from him to be excited about

3 2

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

I refuse to be excited about our WRs, especially Pittman. We heard he was going to be our best WR last year, but when he played (which was VERY little) he didn’t look anything like our best WR. He promptly got injured (just like almost every other year he’s played college football) and missed the rest of the season.

I’m not predicting anything, I’m just refusing to believe he’s the answer to our WR problems until I see it on the field.

1 2

RoboUte
        Ute Fan
        @hamplate

It’s so depressing that a take this defeatist is not only entirely justified but well supported.

1 4

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

The reality is that Rose doesn’t look good at all, and Wilson is on the verge of a major knee surgery. If Utah can’t go out and bring in an experienced healthy QB from the portal, it’s gonna be a long 2024 season. Not looking great RN in the QB room.

6 3

krindor
        Ute Fan
        @krindor

Yeah, I mean ESPN ranked Utah as having the 14th best QB situation in college football. https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/39670797/college-football-future-power-rankings-quarterbacks

14th! That means there are (if my math is correct) 13 teams with better QB situations than us. What trash, can’t believe we’d fail so utterly, dropping behind programs like Florida St, Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio St and the like. Absolutely unacceptable that we’re not #1.

(all of this is TIC, in case anyone missed it)

1 6

Caliman
          Ute Fan
          @elguapoute

CR WILL NOT MAKE IT THROUGH THE WHOLE SEASON, OPONENTS WILL BE TARGETTING THAT KNEE. AFTER THAT YOU HAVE ROSE WHO IS NOT THAT IMPRSSIVE, AND WILSON NEEDS SURGERY. WHO ELSE WE GOT? NOTHING!

krindor
            Ute Fan
            @krindor

….Guessing you didn’t read the article that was written by people who get paid to analyse this

The only short-term concern is [Rising’s] health, especially after Utah lost veteran backup and 2023 starter Bryson Barnes to the transfer portal, along with Mack Howard and former ESPN top-100 recruit Nate Johnson.

Sophomore Brandon Rose enters his third season in the program, but has yet to see the field in a game after taking a medical redshirt in 2023 because of an injury in a preseason scrimmage. Rose might have secured the backup spot last season if not for the injury.

Utah’s long-term outlook appears solid with Isaac Wilson, an ESPN four-star prospect, already enrolled and set for spring practice. The team also has a 2025 commitment from ESPN 300 recruit Wyatt Becker

…so they’re seeing the same concerns about Rising’s health…but they don’t seem to dislike Rose as much as you do.

If Rose is a poor option, then yeah, I wouldn’t be shocked to see another QB transfer in. But it’ll inevitably be someone worse than Rising. There’s always a starter-to-backup dropoff if you’re not Georgia, Ohio St, maybe USC, Texas or a few others. Most schools simply don’t have elite backups

snorkerelli
            Ute Fan
            @snorkerelli

Tone it down Mr. Allcaps. We have Bottari…relax.

3 3

Caliman
          Ute Fan
          @elguapoute

If an injured freshmen . is pushing Rose for QB2, than Utah has a QB problem, as simple as that.

2 2

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Just me but BSPN is the last place I look for anything concerning Utah’s program.
          I am all for being optimistic and more power to you. But optimism can approach delusion easily. For my own sanity and enjoyment I am not hyping the QB position at all.
          I think the situation is far from 13th. If Utah actually has a QB room performing at 13 I will be very happy.

Rising’s ability to escape is absolutely unknown. The easiest example I can think of is Brian Johnson. The difference in his game was astounding post injury. Which I would take post surgery BJ if Rising can get that kind surgeon like efficiency and clutch decisions. BJ made me sweat in 2008 as well though.

Utah#1
            Ute Fan
            @utebig12nattychamps

you sound like a BYU homer, not a Utah fan…

1 1

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

Who is Wildon?

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Update on week two of Spring ball