Updated Weather Wazzu vs Utes

Viewing 2 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Numerical models now bringing the front a bit sooner boosting confidence of rain in the evening and trimming evening temperatures a tad.  Chance of thunder (and thus lightning) as well, mainly in the afternoon, but about a 25% chance in the evening.

High of 69, Kickoff 60, dropping to 55 by end of game.   Wind west to northwest 15 mph.  80% chance of rain; rain could be heavy at times with a half inch or more of rain expected before 6 am Sunday.

Perhaps this may help ground the Air Raid.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Flashbacks of the Wazzu comeback after we jumped out to a 21-0 lead in that downpour a few years ago.

Please let us win on Saturday and have some confidence going into our bye week.

Brichaute49
        Ute Fan
        @brichaute49

I remember that game. Rained relentlessly all game. We had the like on 4th and forever and he throws a touchdown pass. That was before Leach though…right? It was the year after we beat them in the snow up there.

astUTE
          Ute Fan
          @astute

It was Leach’s first year.  I remember that he took a time out, right after we went up 21-0.  He called the entire team into a large huddle on the sideline and spoke with them at length.  they controlled the game every minnute after that.  I was not at all surprised that they eventually won.  I’d kill to know what he said to them.

utefansince79
            Ute Fan
            @utefansince79

Crazy beginning.  Seems we had a couple of non-offensive TDs then an 80 or so yard play on offense in only a few minutes.

Then coach Leach called the huddle.   Whatever he said was indeed inspirational as it was all Wazzou after that.

astUTE
              Ute Fan
              @astute

Sorry for the long response – but since this addresses my major objection to Whit, it will be cathartic.

My guess, is that he gave a speech like the halftime speech that Urban remembered when working for Sonny Lubick, at Colo. St, in the 90’s (don’t recall what year).  The Utes, under McBride, had just taken a lead over the very highly favored Colo. St. Rams, in Ft. Collins.  Lubbick  told the team, and coaches,

“dont worry, we’ll still win”,

and they did.

Sorry, I’ve read about this game (and speach)  many times, mostly as a quote from Urban, but don’t recall the year.  I looked but could not find it.

The real point is, a coach, who is so certain of himself, his asst. coaches, and team, can in a few words, re-instill the confidance of his players in, not only their abilty, but thier destiny to win.

I’m sure Whittingham has this ability.  I think I’ve seen evidence of it on the field more than once.  

But I can also recall more examples of the opposing coaches using similar arguments against us, and succeeding.

Not an indictment of Whit, just a reminder that some people (18-22 year college football players) need someone more to motivate them sometimes – I get the sense that Whit only respects (and therfore speaks to) those that are driven, which may leave the masses behind.

PlainsUte
            Ute Fan
            @plainsute

Probably something about pirates and swords!

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

I think that was Leach’s third year. The first year he had an All-American candidate receiver quit on the team and we beat them something like 47-6 in RES.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Rain won’t change what they do. They’re from the state of Washington, ffs. They know a thing or two about throwing footballs in the rain.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

Exactly.  The weather on the Palouse is far worse than out weather, especially in the fall.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Updated Weather Wazzu vs Utes