Yet another problem with the portal

Viewing 8 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Sounds like there is a lot of cheating going on with coaches contacting desired players via third parties long before a kid announces he is entering the portal.  I believe this article is spot-on.  I think this is a big problem.  They suggest most players going into the portal – already have a landing place picked before announcing they are going into the portal.

Cheating with the portal

I hope that Utah has not done any of this.

Did a certain school contact a player from our team and his brother at UW?  Not making an allegation, but there were suspicious things going on.

The NCAA needs to clean up this mess before it gets any worse.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Not surprising at all. 

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

A quote from the article:

They know if they wait for a quality player to enter the transfer portal to begin recruiting him, they’re too late. So they’ve been reaching out to third parties and using players as go-betweens. It’s a violation of NCAA rules, of course, but enforcement is nearly impossible.

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

I think they’ve already opened the flood gates on this one.  It’s officially free agency for college athletics now.  We’ll win some and lose some (so far we’re ahead of the game).

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

The way I see it, if your players are getting poached by other teams, it’s your own fault for not paying them enough to stay.

2 1

Charlie
        Ute Fan
        @charlie

Part of the problem is coaches moving on is more disruptive than players moving on. I don’t think it is right to restrict players more than coaches as it relates to changing schools. Make a rule that applies to both.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Don’t worry.  I’m confident the NCAA will promptly handle this.

Seriously though, it’s more likely they’ll resolve the tampering issue by rescinding the rule that prohibits it.  That way it won’t be cheating anymore.  Problem solved.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

What’s more worthless at this point: the government, the NCAA or a bartender at a BYU tailgate party?

ProudUte
          Ute Fan
          @proudute

Obviously, there are kids who think they are better than they really are.  These kids think that the grass is greener on the other side (Jake Heaps).  So, they go to the portal and they may be left hanging without any scholarship.  Some kids just peak in high school and others don’t have the work ethic to get to that next level.  (I think I peaked at age 12.)

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

My only question is, if kids are going into the portal with a destination already nailed down, then why are so few kids ending up at those destinations? I thought I read somewhere that there were 1900 basketball players in the portal and only like 35 of them ended up getting scholies at new schools?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

I don’t think anyone is saying it happens in all cases.

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

I wouldn’t be surprised if ybU did that.  The NCAA passed the “Riley Nelson” rule, but that didn’t stop the tdS from recruiting missionaries in that very same fashion.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the intermediary phenomenon was driven by the athletes themselves. Kind of a “ask so and so that if I were to enter the transfer portal, would they want me?” sort of thing.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

Or their parents doing the same.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

To be honest, I’d be surprised if Josh Calvert didn’t already have a spot at Utah when he entered the portal. Was it cheating? Probably. I would doubt Utah is cheating any more than anyone else. I’m sure Whitt doesn’t like it but it’s the world we live in🤷‍♂️

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Yet another problem with the portal