Are there any rules preventing Cam from transferring?

Viewing 10 reply threads

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Not trying to start drama or rumors. I have NOT heard anything about Cam transferring, but would there be any rules that would prevent it if he wanted to?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I doubt it.

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

He needs Utah to file his medical redshirt papers at the end of the season. That process takes time to be granted. Technically he could after the paperwork was filed unless there was a gentlemens agreement before hand where Utah agreed to file the papers even in the event of a transfer.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

All of this NIL money stuff needs to come with contracts, and the contracts need to go both ways. The ‘school’ (I know it is not actually the school paying in the current setup) should have to pay the player and the player should have to stay at the school (unless they mutually agree to terminate).

The current environment feels like constant free agency. Imagine if that were a thing in the NBA or NFL…

I wouldn’t blame Cam Rising if he took a huge ‘bag’ to go somewhere else. He has to think about his own future.
      However, it would be super disappointing for fans if Utah effectively became a farm team for Ohio State, Alabama, etc.

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

He transferred once already, but I think he can grad transfer without penalty now. Of course I think another year of eligibility is not guaranteed.

MussMan
        Ute Fan
        @mussman

All players get 1 “free” transfer right now. Cam didn’t use his free transfer. He came here before that rule applied and sat out a year.
        I think it’s probably moot anyways, because I’m guessing he’d be a grad transfer.

He can transfer wherever he wants freely.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

it would be like the Walker UNC situation right?

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Walker was different. Yes it was his 2nd transfer but he hadn’t reached graduate status yet. Rising can transfer every year he still has eligibility left since he’s made it to graduate so the number of transfers no longer applies.

North Carolina appealed the original NCAA decision to deny eligibility for this year 8 times, I think. UW had a similar situation where Durfee (sic?) had enrolled at an FCS school but was not on any of their sports teams, transferred to Sioux Falls and walked on, then transferred to UW. The NCAA has denied his waiver even though he only participated at one previous school while Walker has done so at 2.

OldAsDirtUte
      Ute Fan
      @oldasdirtute

Cam might look into transferring, but if he stays, he should have a very good OL.

I thought I read that Kiel McDonald has quietly allowed he made a mistake by leaving Utah for USC.

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

He can transfer or stay at Utah. Whether he plays at either depends on the NCAA and typically that decision wouldn’t come until next summer.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I don’t know why he’d transfer. He is the man at Utah. It’s his job. He knows the offense inside and out. Hopefully he will have Kuithe back and most likely Jackson. His OL will all be back. The defense is elite.

There really isn’t a better situation in the country for him. Ludwig’s last QB, Huntley, is in the NFL, beloved by all, and was named to a pro bowl.

If Rising came back to Utah, we’d roll through the Big 12, end the year with 0 or 1 losses (which is why playing PAC-12 teams or Baylor OOC is nuts. Who give a flying f**k about those teams when they all bailed on us and if we lose we might cost ourselves a shot at the playoffs. We have other goals now. Schedule down OOC, go undefeated, make the playoffs. You want your big games to be in December, not September).

We’d be in the playoffs. And what a story for him, what a headline, and as Zach Wilson showed, if you get the right headlines and make the right throws in shorts, your draft stock can rise quickly.

If he leaves, he’s starting over. He has to learn a new offense, new receivers, etc.

He would be insane to leave. And Utah would be equally insane to not do everything they can to keep him.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Money. Plain and simple. If another NIL collective can double or triple what he’s getting at Utah, that would make him think twice. In addition to that, there’s also the attraction of going to a team where the offense is the main focus and he’s surrounded by 5/high 4 star talent. Definitely not saying he’s leaving but it would be a tempting proposition if all those factors came together. I get your comment about starting over but, as we’ve seen with numerous transfers over the last couple of years in the PAC, that’s not an impediment to instant success.

2008 National Champ
          Ute Fan
          @cptmrgn05

I’d imagine any of the 4 schools going to the B1G would love to have him. 3 are losing their starters and I’m not sure if Moore at UCLA is injured or benched.

Rising won’t have a guaranteed job if he transfers but he shouldn’t if he stays either. Having a proven winner in a “contract year” is a pretty good option. If he can’t beat out the guys you already have, that’s even better. You know that you not only have a good starter, you also have an excellent plan B.

It’s a semi-pro world and any team with legitimate championship aspirations needs to make sure that they are in the best position possible at every place in the lineup.

5 2

Tednab
            Ute Fan
            @tednab

Bigger picture .. back to the drawing board.. I have no confidence in any of the QBs we have outside of Rising .. hopefully Wilson is the real deal.

SOWhat
              Ute Fan
              @sowhat

We didn’t get to see the guy that was the chosen backup, Rose, assuming that he is no good is a bit of a stretch. And there’s Issac Wilson coming in.

4 2

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

True Freshman coming off surgery and not enrolling until summer workouts? If that’s your plan B, you need to clean out your QB room asap. If Wilson isn’t plan F for 2024, you need to admit that you’ve completely mismanaged the position group and start over in the portal.

Charlie
                Ute Fan
                @charlie

I am not sure Rose is not an acceptable part of a QB plan. He is healthy enough now to be killing it on the scout team and could benefit greatly by say getting a serious look in the spring. As for Wilson, do we know he is not at spring practice to learn if not play? There have been plenty of true freshmen QBs who have started college with less and seen success quickly. Clearly, Cam is an awesome part of a QB plan if he returns. Lud knows the prospects of each much better than us in the peanut gallery. I am not at all opposed to getting the best possible transfer into the mix. I think the assessment of the first 3 pieces will drive the effort for the transfer option. I have questions but I am not viewing complete mismanagement and I don’t see Wilson as QB6. Starting over without these pieces in a plan is not at all advisable, adding another piece from the portal, sure if it can be done. Whatever we do we will improve greatly simply getting the intended QB1 onto the field.

2008 National Champ
                  Ute Fan
                  @cptmrgn05

I’m not saying Rose can’t do the job. The truth is that I don’t have a clue whether he is capable or not.

The post I was answering made it sound like the only choices were a Rising who did not play in 2023 or an incoming Freshman. Perhaps I made the wrong assumption but I read the post as Rose, Johnson, Barnes, Bottari and Howard not having a future at Utah.

PlainsUte
              Ute Fan
              @plainsute

DO we know for sure how Rising will play with a severe knee injury repaired?

The Miami Ute
                Ute Fan
                @themiamiute

We don’t. That’s one of the main problems of him coming back another year. He might not be the same player he was pre-injury and there’s no guarantee he doesn’t get injured again.

Caliman
              Ute Fan
              @elguapoute

Wilson is over hyped, He has good numbers vs. mediocre defenses. He’s also too small for a p5 QB.
              I’m hoping Rose and Johnson dramatically improve over the off season. AL should be looking at the portal really closely, but from what I can tell there isn’t any QBs in the portal that are better than what Utah already has rn.

The Miami Ute
            Ute Fan
            @themiamiute

Moore is benched. He’s regressed as the season has gone on and Kelly had enough. Right now, Ethan Garbers has taken control of the QB1 position.

2008 National Champ
              Ute Fan
              @cptmrgn05

I thought he’d been benched but didn’t want to commit.

Perfect example of Utah breaking a highly recruited kid with it’s defense. Damn near did it to Jayden Daniels and Thompson-Robinson also. Most of these kids have never had to deal with the kind of pressure that a defense like Utah’s can put on them. It takes time to learn how to handle it and most never do.

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

Oregon boosters have already stated they’d like to have him transfer in for a year

Ghost of the HEB
          Ute Fan
          @deseretgentlman

Victory March

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

He might be able to make more money in one year…but nothing will make him look better than Utah. There might be opportunities for him to look as good as he could look in Utah and he may be able to put up better stats, but he won’t look better. Especially if Kuithe comes back.

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

I don’t know. I could see Rising running that Oregon offense at a pretty high level next year.

Lots of hype moving to a new conference so there will be plenty of eyes on him. NIL money isn’t an issue. Would be able to get up to speed against a very manageable non-con schedule with games against @ Michigan and home Ohio State down the line. An offense that values accuracy in the short and medium game instead of needing a huge arm.

That could be a fairly attractive option when compared to the uncertainty of what the move to the Big-12 has to offer.

The Miami Ute
              Ute Fan
              @themiamiute

I agree with you 2008. Use the cases of Penix and Nix as examples. Both of those guys have looked much better at Washington and Oregon than they ever did at Indiana and Auburn. I personally think that if you put Rising on a team that is offense-focused and you surround him 5 and high 4 star recruits at the skill positions, he’s got the potential to look better than he did at Utah.

That, to me, is what we fans have to watch out for, not the NIL component. You have to think that Rising has NFL aspirations and wouldn’t think twice before moving to a program that would provide him a better chance of doing that than staying at Utah. Better put, Rising had two really good seasons in 2021 and 2022 and, even with all that (I have PFF and review all of their pre-NFL Draft gradings), he wasn’t even really considered draftable.

2008 National Champ
                Ute Fan
                @cptmrgn05

The numbers Nix has put up in that offense are just too good to ignore.

At Auburn: 34 games, 628-1057-7251-39-16, 59.4%, 6.85 y/a, 11.55 y/c, QBR’s of 125, 123.9, 130
                At Oregon: 21 games, 500-672-5930-50-8, 74.4%, 8.82 y/a, 11.86 y/c, QBR’s of 165.7, 178.6

What QB with one year left wouldn’t want to fill their combine audition tape with highlights from an offense that allows you to make quick decisions and get the ball to playmakers in space all while being supported by a dominant run game and defense?

Washington also has a great scheme but the bulk of Penix’s success is based on his accurate deep ball which Rising hasn’t shown he can do consistently during his career.

1 1

CarlosDanger
      Ute Fan
      @carlosdanger

The fact he is sitting out an entire season, combined with coming off an injury, probably makes him less of an attractive target to begin with.

1 1

Caliman
      Ute Fan
      @elguapoute

even is CR transfers out, UTES will be in great shape, Barnes is a junior, plus also an additional covid year so we’ll have Barnes for at least two more years after this one.

1 1

Larry B
        Ute Fan
        @larryb

If Barnes is our starter for the next two years then we better be prepared to have a couple 6-6 type seasons.

Ute Dub
          Ute Fan
          @chestercopperpot

Utah is 6-2 this year with Barnes.

DataUte
            Ute Fan
            @scotwaye

Well, 4-1 this year with him starting, although NJ finished off Baylor and Barnes played some in OSU (but didn’t start).

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Are there any rules preventing Cam from transferring?