Newman confirms CP3 will NOT play in the rose bowl

Viewing 7 reply threads

ColumbiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @columbiaute

CP3’s father talked with Josh and confirmed it. Hurts our chances a lot. But next man up!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Our two best players out for the Rose.  #NEXTMANUP – Opporunity to shine!

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

About 50 percent of production just went out the door .. with more to come I am sure .. ug .. no incentive to play bowl games. I get it, sucks

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

Hurts our team for the Rose Bowl.  Thanks, Clark for your contributions to the Utes!!!

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Well, 💩.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Penn St QB (rumored to be injured) doesn’t throw it great. Their top WR and top CB are out as well. Vaughn and Broughton with Marks behind them will be fine.

I also don’t love that kids opt out in todays world BUT he’s likely a 1st rounder so nothing more to prove for him.

Much different scenario from last year. We’ll be ok.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Utah played with Bernard two ways and nearly beat Ohio st. Utah can win this game.

PlainsUte
          Ute Fan
          @plainsute

Was surprised to see 3-4 CBs listed in mock NFL drafts in first round, not CPIII.   Or maybe he wasn’t being considered on these since he is an underclassman who just recently declared?  Or maybe being 5-10 he’s considered smallish for the NFL?

PNW Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pnwute

I’ve seen him downgraded because of his height. 

Summit Ute
              Ute Fan
              @summitute

A year or two a ago CP3 was behind me in line at The Chicken Shack on 4th south.  I only realized it after the fact because he seemed so small that I didn’t assume he played football.  Dude is a baller and I wished I had known to wish him well and thank him for what his commitment to the U meant even back then.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

The objective was clear for a lot of these guys. CFP berth.
      Just sucks bowls are so irrelevant.

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

Objective is and will always be a conference title which they achieved. CFP requires help from others including the panel so somewhat out of your control.

CP3 is likely a first rounder so there is risk involved with him playing. I don’t love that mentality personally but I understand it.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I agree and find it very admirable when players lay it out for their team. Kincaid did it for a long time. I believe Phillips was dealing with some sort of hip or leg injury issues to end the season.
          I will never fault a kid choosing what is best for himself. Even over his teammates and coaches counsel. Sometimes that doesn’t work out for them when it comes to transfers.

NFL life changing decisions like Kincaid and Phillips have made? 100% the right decision imo.

prestitute
            Ute Fan
            @prestitute

Agreed, and one more thing: I like getting a chance to see more of the players who will be in those key roles next year. If I have to pick a game to take a risk in, a non-CFP Bowl game is a good place to do it. That said, I do really, really want our Utes to win this Rose Bowl! 🙂 I will be going down basically just for the game for the second year in a row and would love to see an equally good game with a different outcome from last year!

Tednab
        Ute Fan
        @tednab

How does the timing on this work, out of curiosity? .. can they at least hold off until the last minute til the bowl game … I know it’s petty to ask , but don’t want to help PSU out either .. Both him and Kincaid are legends and well deserved for sure .. do you expect any more announcements before the bowl ?

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

That’s ok. We have Bernard. jk

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

I can see sitting out when there is a risk of making an injury worse.  But I think our changing culture figures in as well.  I remember when the first night losers in the NCAA BB tournament would play a consolation game before  the  winners played the second night.  They were awesome games to watch as well.  Sadly, that went the way of the buffalo.  Possibly Phillips is nicked up as well. 

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

Absolutely not a surprise and to be expected. CP3 is projected to be a late 1st/early 2nd Rd pick so the decision definitely makes sense. I’m pretty certain that he’ll be at the game and on the sidelines to cheer his teammates on though. By the way, Penn State’s top defender, CB Joey Porter Jr., also opted out of the Rose Bowl.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Newman confirms CP3 will NOT play in the rose bowl