Who do you watch Utah football games with?

Viewing 15 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I will watch a non Utah football game with almost anyone. However, when it comes to watching Utah football games – there are a limited number of people who I can watch the game with. To me, Utah football is NOT a social event. I will only watch Utah games with serious Utah fans. I cannot stand to watch the games with people who ask silly questions like, “Why do you have to get ten yards to get a first down?” or “Why do they run the ball, it seems like they should always pass.” This excludes my wife. I learned almost 5 decades ago, that I cannot enjoy a Utah football game with my wife. (She is a wonderful person, but watching a Utah football game with her is …

When I watch Utah football, I watch and digest every play. There is no time for frivolous chit-chat. I love football and since there are only 12-13 games a year, I will spend that time with those who share my passion. 🙂

A few years back, a brother of mine was in from out of town staying with one of his children (BYU fan). It was the day of the Utah/BYU game. He called and asked if he and his wife could come watch the game with us. I told him that he was welcome to come watch the game upstairs with my wife, but I would be downstairs watching by myself. He didn’t understand why I felt that way. I explained my feelings and he still didn’t understand. (I do have two siblings who I will and have watched Utah games with.)

So, who will you watch Utah football games with?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I watch either alone or with Mrs. Admin. She doesn’t know the x’s and o’s of football, like she couldn’t tell you who the left tackle is. But she’s an athlete and appreciates the skills and abilities of the players and does great high fives when we score.

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

I have a hard time watching games with my wife. I love her and all, but I end up having to talk her off the ledge the whole game. Plus, she gets hateful towards the teams we’re playing. That’s not healthy.

Redblood
          Ute Fan
          @redblood

For me it’s more she has a hard time watching Ute games with me than the other way around. I pace, yell at the TV, I’m not at my best watching the Utes on TV.

UtMtBiker
          Ute Fan
          @utmtbiker

You found a keeper for sure.

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

i can only watch with my dad, one uncle, and one brother. i feel the exact same way you do.

SoCarolinaUte2
      Ute Fan
      @socarolinaute1

I watch with my 3 sons, 2 grand kids (both play FB). We yell, shout, talk plays (but never during a play) We all know there is NO chit chat or non FB talking.
      My wife will watch sometimes, but knows it’s FB only.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

I have one good buddy that has been the only person I can watch with. We had season tickets together for 10+ years and feel the same way you do. I’ll allow social watching and even throw bbq’s at my place if it’s an easy win or less important game. In those cases I rewatch by myself after everyone goes home.

DataUte
      Ute Fan
      @scotwaye

I love this post. I have a BIL that is very ritualistic and won’t watch games with anyone (a different team though). I will watch with 1 of my sons, but he often will get up and throw a football around with himself or shoot hoops. Otherwise, it’s usually just me. My wife might come in, watch for while the wander off, but generally gets the game and doesn’t talk too much or ask questions (or waits until commercials).

I occasionally will have friends over, but only ones that know Utah and FB well. Losses don’t bother me as much anymore, but it’s not fun hosting when the entertainment becomes a bust. I’ve gone to a dozen or more road games, but it’s usually with my BIL (Utah grad), his son (now a Utah grad), or a college roommate. I went once to BYU @ Texas (I’m UT grad as well) with the BIL/son above (they were living in Houston and just fans of FB) plus my zoob BIL and he turned into a different person and almost got us killed. Never again.

wcrunner
      Ute Fan
      @wcrunner

I watch with my wife because we are empty nestors. She knows the names of a lot of the players and always wonders why do they run the ball up the middle where all the tacklers are? Why don’t they run around them?

ProudUte
        Ute Fan
        @proudute

Yep, that’s the question my wife has asked at least 100 times. I try to explain and she never truly understands. She is a great person, but not a great football fan. 🙂 My wife also struggles with the concept of punting. Oh well – that’s why I don’t watch Utah games with her.

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

My wife has told me over and over again that she wouldn’t even have a punter if she was the coach. She’d seriously go for it on 4th and 20 from our own 5. Maybe she’s the one who is right?

bopahull
      Ute Fan
      @bopahull

Since my wife passed about 10 years ago my granddaughter has been my football buddy. We have even traveled to 5 bowls and 3 CCGs. We missed last year due to my illness. We made it to the first Rose Bowl, but I couldn’t go to the last one.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

With my eyes Bob, I watch games with my eyes.

But like most of you me and my eyes are usually alone, I’ve scared off most people who might watch with me as I ignore any non football talk and off course yelling at the TV.

My wife sometimes will be in the same room but she will usually have headphones on listening to her shows on the Nook ( samsung tablet).

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

Very interesting to see all the responses.

For me, I love to watch with friends. The social experience is a big part of the fun. That said, it’s not just any friends I’m watching with. We all went to the U together and have stayed close since, and they all know more about football than I do as I never played, but became a fan in college. We text a lot as well, and quite a few of our text conversations come back to Utah football.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

It is all easy for me. My wife has been to many road games and bowl games in addition to home games. Her interest level is less than mine but does not ask stupid questions because we got those out of the way when my sons played little league and high school football. I have tickets to home games with my sons and often watch road games with friends or family and the non football folks make snacks and generally find somewhere out of the way. I am also comfortable watching alone. Football game time is all good and easy.

UtesRock
      Ute Fan
      @utahrockon

My Sons, both diehard fans!

Utephoria
      Ute Fan
      @utephoria

My wife and I can’t watch the games on TV together because I am labeled as “too negative”. For example, during the first half of the Baylor game I jokingly stated that “I hope we don’t get shut out” (same could have been said for the Oregon St. game). She promptly laid into me about always being negative when it comes to Ute sports and why can’t I be positive and not get upset.

I’m thinking to myself, that is what being a fan is for the highs and lows in every game. I told her to never read a fan message board or she would lose all faith in humanity and her head might explode because of some negative banter. But she doesn’t understand. I am glad she is a positive person, but there should be some give and take when the Utes are not performing well.

I have had football season tickets with a great friend of mine for 22 years and we enjoy our football discussions, both negative and positive. Our wives sit in other parts of the stadium, which is good, I can then spare my wife the negativity.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

MrsPlains is only a casual football fan and there are few alums where I live, so I watch with UteHub.com chatters.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Forgot to mention that for road games I watch with everyone in CHAT!

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

With all of you in chat of course.

I also enjoy having my kids close by.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Who do you watch Utah football games with?