Statue of Responsibility???

Viewing 20 reply threads
      4 1

MDUte
      Ute Fan
      @mdute

For all of you that live in the SL Valley, are you for or against this proposed statue? Not trying to start any type of political thread here. Just saw this and wondered what the general consensus behind it was. I’m assuming everyone will immediately slam it as a stupid idea. But I’m wondering if something like this would become a tourist attraction that helps bring in additional tourists $s to SLC…Or no way this would do that. Thoughts?

8 3

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

I am 100% for this proposal. I don’t quite understand all the penis references. It’s genuinely a beautiful piece and would be incredible to have. Viktor Frankl has Utah ties and I think it represents a much more powerful movement than just Liberty: individuals require responsibility in order to thrive.

6 3

Rick Walker
      Ute Fan
      @big2890

It’s called the statue of responsibility but it’s just about the most financially irresponsible thing the state could do.

MDUte
        Ute Fan
        @mdute

Just a point of clarification. Not sure if this is what you were meaning but the statue would be 100% funded by private donation and not by tax $s.

4 5

Rick Walker
          Ute Fan
          @big2890

You’re right I missed that detail, thanks. Still sounds like an irresponsible way for a private donor to spend their money haha

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The infrastructure and increase in traffic is not worth it.
          The Wasatch front is beyond capacity to support this.

7 2

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

Have you ever traveled somewhere to see something such as this?

Outside of the statue of liberty. I dont think anyone travels to see just one landmark like this.

9 2

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Given all of the statue desecration that has gone on over the past 4 years with all of the various protests and violent mobs, I would prefer this money be spent on developing better substance abuse and housing programs for the homeless. We have real needs in this community and a statue that is supposed to remind us to do better vs. actually doing better with real money and deeds makes zero sense to me.

12 2

The Miami Ute
      Ute Fan
      @themiamiute

It’s a blight on the landscape and reminds me of something out of North Korea or Turkmenistan. What we need to do is create less man made “wonders” and provide more protection to spaces of natural beauty. Constructing a pharaonic project like the above surely isn’t going to convince anyone to travel to Utah.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

I’m for whatever Pig Bus is against 🙂

4 3

Roy Rangum
      Ute Fan
      @royrangum

While people could argue there are better ways to spend money, if it’s funded entirely by private donors, I’m totally on board.

Symbols have meaning, and to have a very large symbol built in our backyard dedicated to the idea of helping each other out, then I am on board. Although, the exact symbol they chose of the interlocking arms doesn’t quite inspire me in the same way the Statue of Liberty does.

While I’m not sure it will drive much tourism, I do think the St. Louis arch does provide a template that it could help entice a few people to visit SLC at some point and time, but I doubt they come just for the statue.

Utegator
        Ute Fan
        @utegator

I agree with your sentiment, but I neither like the design or the name.

Grayshirt
        Ute Fan
        @grayshirt

Let’s be honest, a masonic grip would make a lot more sense.

6 3

UteBacker
      Ute Fan
      @utebacker

It would be nice to see something other than a new temple. I kid… I kid (but not really).

5 3

snorkerelli
      Ute Fan
      @snorkerelli

If they are really promoting responsibility, wouldn’t the 350 million dollars of private dollars be more responsibly spent helping those in need? That money would pay for a lot of food, housing, medical care, clothing, scholarships, etc.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Just to play devil’s advocate, couldn’t you be spending your time volunteering or being productive instead of visiting UteHub? Couldn’t you buy food for the hungry instead of paying to watch Utah Football or anything else you enjoy?

The reality is, we could all do better. However, it is unrealistic to think we will all give up our interests and funnel every last ‘spare’ minute and penny to solve hunger, housing, etc.

That said, we as individuals and society could do better. I agree that I wish billionaires would take a small chunk of change and make a serious dent in the needs of the less-fortunate. I will never understand how you could hoard unimaginable wealth and not have the desire to make a real difference in the world (in addition to sending penis rockets into space 😉).

snorkerelli
          Ute Fan
          @snorkerelli

I don’t think pointing out the irony of spending 350 million dollars on a “statue of responsibility” (not a very responsible thing to do with that kind of money) when there are a lot of real and serious problems that could be solved with that money needs an all or none criticism at the extreme ends of this argument. Of course we could all do better, no matter who we are – and you don’t know what each of us does with our time or money, so check your assumptions. I would simply advocate balance and careful consideration in all things.

8 3

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

It’s ugly. It’s a waste of money. It doesn’t actually help anything.

Sounds like something some rich douche would love to tell everyone how awesome he was because he (or she or they) made it happen. lol.

3 1

Sanders
        Ute Fan
        @sanders

If you gave me the choice between that statue a cold cherry Coke or a hazelnut ice cream cone… I’d have a hard time deciding between the drink and the ice cream.

2 1

Uteanooga
      Ute Fan
      @uteanooga

I’m sure all of the irresponsible people will start acting responsibly because of the big statue.

1 1

TheNuschler
      Ute Fan
      @thenuschler

So, it will be built in Draper? I’m sure we’ll have some Draper legislator figure out how to have Salt Lake City residents pay for it.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

As was already mentioned, this statue is supposed to be 100% funded by private contributions.

1 2

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

That is 100% not true. Tax payers eventually always foot the bill for crap like this.

RedRocks
            Ute Fan
            @hypodactylus

supposed to be 100% funded by private contributions

Not sure what is “100% not true” about this. Could it end up costing taxpayer dollars? Sure. But it is not supposed to.

People could say “Tax payers eventually always foot the bill for crap like this” about our beloved stadiums and sports teams. They would not be wrong.

I am neither for nor against this statue project (it does seem out of place). However, it is odd to see how many people hate that things like this are built when they are perfectly fine with money being spent on things that other people think is pointless (like stadiums, arenas, etc).

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Meh. It needs an elevator up the middle and a restaurant on top; being Utah it could serve Jello and Caffeine Free Cokes. Then you’d have a proper tourist attraction.

6 3

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

The thumbnail of the design is not terribly appealing to me. But other images I have seen are pretty nice. I am not a fan of the stained glass portion.

I doubt it brings much tourism, but I like the idea of grand monuments generally. People mention the St. Louis arch, Eiffel Tower, etc. They don’t necessarily drive tourism, but they add to the list of things you do when you visit those cities. Frankly, I am generally fine even if grand edifices use public money. This one appears to be privately funded, so even better.

Criticisms of how the money could be better spent are lame. I guarantee every person making such criticisms spends money on “inefficient” things or indulgences–it just is not public. This is at least something that is intended to benefit the area (whether you agree with the aesthetic, the intention behind it seems altruistic). Could it be spent better elsewhere? That is totally subjective, but not my place to decide how someone else spends their money. Unless you are spending only on your necessities and giving the remaining money to the causes you want this person to support, your criticisms is disingenuous and hypocritical.

Again, I am fine if you don’t like the aesthetic, but to criticize this on the basis that the funder could find better uses of the money is weak. Wealthy people have numerous self-serving indulgences, this one at least has the intention of inspiring and benefiting others (instead of being spent on a luxury yacht or private jet). Frankly, all of the same critics should be chiming in every time NIL money is spent (crickets). There are far better causes than paying people to move a ball around a field or court.

There are too many critics in this world. I support anyone that wants to donate money to improve the world–even if it does not align with my top causes.

PlainsUte
        Ute Fan
        @plainsute

To underscore my point, Eiffel Tower, St Louis Arch, Statue of Liberty — for all of these visitors can go up them.
        For something tall just to look at from the ground I’d rather look at the mountains, hoodoos in Bryce, cliff faces at Cedar Breaks, etc.

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

This thing does have an observation deck on the top, presumably with a restaurant. Click to the link and it shows more images of that stuff.

3 3

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

It’s f-ugly, and while I doubt something like this could become a tourist attraction, locals should be concerned about if it could, what kind of tourists would it attract, and are they the sort that they’d want to bring in. After all, Utah already has enough challenges as it is dealing with their “weirdo” reputation nation wide.

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

Seems like if we’re going to build a giant, ugly monument, then we should put up something that is more reflective of current American values and prevailing attitudes.

Something like, I dunno, each hand angrily flipping off the other with the inspiring motto “Ego got meus ut vilis” (I got mine, so f**k you) boldly etched along the side.

I kid, I kid (kinda)

Charlie Foxtrot
      Ute Fan
      @charliefoxtrot

So the land that this is going to be built on was so valuable that we had to move the State Prison for development opportunities. I don’t know, call me skeptical but it doesn’t surprise me that something like this is being floated as I’m not sure the whole process of moving the prison was completely above board in the first place. Some people are getting paid, and as long as that is the case with this questionable fugly thing, well it’s going to happen.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

I will say in that respect it is better than more houses. Too many people living in Utah. It seems common now in Eagle Mountain where you have 7-8 adult families living in a 3000 sq foot home.

I don’t see this structure encouraging anything.

Central Coast Ute
      Ute Fan
      @flip2848

I’m not against it. I just don’t see why tourists would go to see it.

2 1

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I see way too many cons for this project than pros.

I don’t like anything that covers up the natural beauty of the mountains. I am a naturalist and think the less human interference in my scenery the better.

The other thing is the infrastructure. Utah county and Salt Lake county already have a massive problem with roads and ability to travel. I commute back and forth right now and it is hell. This sounds like even more hell for an already tangled mess that UDOT created.

This is totally subjective and I do enjoy art but this looks unappealing to me. Architecture for me I am more of a minimalist Frank Lloyd Wright or Japanese style when it comes to beautiful architecture. Integration with natural beauty. Skyscrapers and stuff are just not my thing. Statue of Liberty isn’t my thing. Dead presidents carved into a mountain not my thing. A stretch would be the impressive Bhudist structures in Thailand or the ones destroyed in Afghanistan.

Dresden_Stormblessed
      Ute Fan
      @dresden

From what I’m reading, it doesn’t seem like everyone understands the “why” of the statue.

Backstory

1 2

Charlie Foxtrot
        Ute Fan
        @charliefoxtrot

Interesting. Good backstory, and I even like what the sculpture of the hands represents. It makes more sense as to why it looks the way it does. The only issue I have with it (based off of what it is about) is the endorsement by Cox. I don’t want to get political, but the halls of power in Utah are very corrupt (in my opinion) and no more so than the Governors administration. I’m trying real hard not to hold that against the Statue of Responsibility, but I don’t view the Cox administration as responsible or even capable of making the choices that uphold liberty.

1 1

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Government is corrupt? Well take me to a place on the planet where it isn’t.

RedRocks
        Ute Fan
        @hypodactylus

Thanks! It is good to get a little context.

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc Statue of Responsibility???