New Wr Commit!

Viewing 3 reply threads

jobjohnsen8
      Ute Fan
      @jobjohnsen8

DrahtUte
      Ute Fan
      @drahtute

I don’t know much about him but in just reading some articles there’s one from March where he’s not sure he’ll make it back from his injury this season. Is there any newer info on his recovery than that?

Onlyu
        Ute Fan
        @uf8fl

4-6 month recovery is typical for a FAI surgery. Better than average chance he goes imo. Great in the run game and very sure hands…this is a big get for this year or next but I’m betting on this year. This is a WR1!!

7 12

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

He’s a wr1? That seems like an awfully optimistic point of view. He was on a worse team last year and had 300 yds receiving. Vele and parks both had more yards last year… and Pittman is a senior. Unless he is waaay better than he has showed his entire career he’s at best WR2 on a good team,

Should be a good return guy thoug.

Onlyu
            Ute Fan
            @uf8fl

He has the ability to beat anyone on the field at any time…that’s how talented he is. He runs through tackles and blocks his butt off.

Can he do it full time every week? That’s the question and we’ll see but he’s the best guy in the room today imo and I truly think Vele is a future pro.

He and Cam come from the same area…there is and will be chemistry here.

2 10

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

You may be (and often are) right, but his production up to this point in his career doesn’t inspire confidence that he is a better WR than Vele, and Vele isn’t cutting it as WR1 (maybe that’s a little unfair, he’s adequate, but he would be far less adequate without Kuithe).

Utesby1
              Ute Fan
              @garykennedy

How does he compare to Bridges?

Onlyu
                Ute Fan
                @uf8fl

Different skill set…he’s really physical. Just a great blocker with great hands. Looks to run people over and you don’t bring him down with arm tackles. His dad was/is absolutely ripped so being physical is engrained in him.

Bridges is shiftier, faster and probably a little more athletic…Uber talented.

Yergensen
                  Ute Fan
                  @yergensen

Watching his tape, he has some Hines Ward to his game but maybe more athletic. Hines Ward like physicality in winning balls, yac, and ferocious blocker. Fits Utah football to a T.

D T
            Ute Fan
            @azute1

FSU finished 10-3 & ranked #11 last year.

2 10

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Someone please point to one piece of factual evidence that says I’m wrong. PLEASE. I AM BEGGING YOU!

I will gladly admit I am wrong when someone gives me a reason to believe I am. I am wrong all the time. Someone show me why I’m wrong please. 

aaand he had 300 yards receiving as a senior on that FSU team. He’s a super senior to-be coming off a massive surgery and he’s the guy that is going to be the savior of our WR group? I don’t claim to know anything even remotely close to what Onlyu knows, but I can’t just believe that he’s going to be a WR1 on a team vying for a playoff spot when he has never been WR1 on any team he’s played for and he has less than 800 yards in 4 years of football.

We had 3 receivers (not including TEs) that had as good or better numbers than Pittman last year. Two of them are still on the team. I see no reason to think Pittman will be WR1.

I’m not saying this guy is a bad pickup, but I’m going to be very disappointed if this staff can’t manage even one single WR transfer that has a healthy body and a proven track record of success at the D1 level.

He may be athletic enough to get open against anyone in college football. He may be a great WR1, but there is zero evidence he was that before his injury. Why on earth would anyone think he will be that after major surgery?

Look at his numbers. This dude has not proven he is a deep threat WR1 kind of player.

D T
                Ute Fan
                @azute1

You attempted to paint the picture FSU was a poor team last year & I pointed out they were highly successful/ranked last year.

He played on good teams at UO & again at FSU last year.

You wanted something you stated that wasn’t factually accurate & I corrected you accordingly.

Ute Dub
                  Ute Fan
                  @chestercopperpot

Checkmate.

1 11

chinngiskhaan
                    Ute Fan
                    @chinngiskhaan

saying checkmate doesn’t make it checkmate. I was wrong about FSU being bad/not good. Doesn’t make Pittman a #1 receiver.

He played on good teams and was at best the 3rd WR on those teams. He’s now playing for a team that is just as good and coming off of hip surgery… and he’s going to be WR1 inp place of a guy who nearly equaled Mycan’s career numbers in one year? Nah…

What proof is there that Pittman is a WR1? I genuinely want to be proved wrong here.

Ute Dub
                      Ute Fan
                      @chestercopperpot

Bro, know when you’ve been mated!

chinngiskhaan
                        Ute Fan
                        @chinngiskhaan

Bro, know when you’ve “mated” someone. Simply pointing out that he played for a good team doesn’t mean he’s a #1 WR on a team that is just as good (considering he was a #3 WR on the team he is leaving, and his coming off of major surgery, I’d say that’s a fair assessment).

1 9

chinngiskhaan
                  Ute Fan
                  @chinngiskhaan

Yes, I was wrong about FSU. However, I fail to see how that makes a 300 yd senior #3 WR recovering from hip surgery our future #1 WR.

FSU being good doesn’t = factual information about why he’s going to be #1. Clearly I didn’t make it clear in my previous post, but that is what I was referring to.

Please, prove me wrong.

6 1

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

You are getting downvoted, but I agree.  He hasn’t shown that he is a WR1 up to this point, but I do believe he has the potential to be.  Injuries have derailed him, but he has solid hands and if he is back to 100% the guy can run some good routes.  He is also a good blocker and a solid PR.  So, regardless of him becoming WR1 or not, he brings some needed talent and value to the team.

1 4

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Welcome to the internet, where people just downvote you when they have no logical reason for disagreeing with you but disagree anyway. It’s mostly my fault really. I intentionally state things in a more inflammatory way than I should, and what I’m actually saying gets misinterpreted.

Honestly, the best evidence there is that he is going to be a WR1 is that Onlyu is saying he will be. Onlyu isn’t always right, but he’s right more often than just about any other insider out there.

Charlie
              Ute Fan
              @charlie

I think injuries are a big part of the story. Possibly, the surgery he had he has been avoiding. If it is successful and follows the timetable expected, it is likely he can help us. If Whitt, who has more to go on, approves it, that is good enough for me.

chinngiskhaan
                Ute Fan
                @chinngiskhaan

That is definitely a possibility. I’m not claiming he is a waste of a roster spot or anything. I’m sure he can help the team in at least PR and run blocking.

PhiladelphiaUte
          Ute Fan
          @philadelphiaute

Do you know what that status is on Hunter Lotulelei?  UtahUtes.com listed him as a R/S Freshman on last year’s roster, but I don’t see him anywhere on this year’s roster.  I also couldn’t find any articles indicating that he’d jumped into the transfer portal, or had opted to leave on a mission.  Might this be an oversight on UtahUtes.com?  Or did he leave the team?

NarfUte
            Ute Fan
            @narfute

He went on his mission in 2018 – just walked for graduation this week. Not sure if he’s staying with the team or not though, he hasn’t seen any action in 3 seasons post mission 

6 2

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

Now all we need is a WR that will for sure play this year

AZUteFan
        Ute Fan
        @azutefan

Would be good to Bridge that gap.

Tednab
          Ute Fan
          @tednab

Nice , I’ll take it .. need another … who else we in play for ?

Yergensen
            Ute Fan
            @yergensen

Hollywood Hooks, Jackson St. transfer, is another WR where the interest is mutual. 

UrbanLiar
              Ute Fan
              @urbanliar

Updated, thanks for the info Yergensen. Hooks temporarily committed to Ole Miss about 2 weeks ago then de-committed from what I can determine.

NarfUte
      Ute Fan
      @narfute

Nice. If he can get 1000 yards for us I can forgive his brother for the fink 500 game. 

1 11

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Don’t get your hopes up. Dude has been playing for 4 years and hasn’t even hit the 900 yd mark for his career yet. He’s a shorter/faster version of solomon Enis.

My guess is he’ll be used in the running attack more than anything.

NarfUte
          Ute Fan
          @narfute

If he doesn’t hit 1000 yards then I don’t forgive his brother. Pretty simple, ball is in his court 😄

D T
          Ute Fan
          @azute1

You’re alone on an island regarding this guy….Literally nobody else sees him the way you do.

Are you claiming to know better than literally everybody else?

2 3

2008 National Champ
            Ute Fan
            @cptmrgn05

If your argument is that the hive mind is always right.,,

D T
              Ute Fan
              @azute1

Where did I claim “always”? In this instance, yes, and it’s supported by OnlyU, but certainly not “always”.

1 8

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

and you still haven’t given me a single fact based reason to think he’s a WR1. He’s fine, but he has not proven he is a WR 1 anywhere he has been in 4 years.

Again, I could be wrong. I’m just saying I don’t see a fact based argument that shows he’s a WR1.

Prove me wrong, please please please prove me wrong. I’d love to be wrong.

1 7

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

Also, me being alone doesn’t make me wrong. Please, prove me wrong. Just do it.

just to be clear, I’m not mad about the signing. He will be a better PR (and more expendable) than Vele. He’s a strong/thick WR, which we need, he will probably be used a ton for jet sweeps and the like… He’s fine, but I’m not convinced he’s a WR1 and there is nothing suggesting he will be.

D T
              Ute Fan
              @azute1

We don’t have the WR room UO/FSU have….Those schools attract significantly better talent at WR than we do….Just because he wasn’t WR1 at those schools, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be just that in our offense….We’re not exactly known for elite WR talent, and that includes Vele, who’s better than avg, but Coach KW labeled us “thin” at WR for a reason.

He’s instantly our best WR & denying that fact shows blatant ignorance.

The only person whose radar we’re on who’d challenge that designation is Trejan Bridges, assuming he gets his legal situation resolved.

2 4

chinngiskhaan
                Ute Fan
                @chinngiskhaan

I’m not denying that there is a chance he is our WR1. I’m simply saying there is no evidence that he’s good enough to be our WR1.

I don’t see how him being the 3rd best WR on a team with better WRs than us makes him the likely #1 here.

His FSU highlights didn’t leave me with the impression that he was anything special. A good addition to our WR rooom yes, day 1 WR1 (assuming he’s even able to play this year, which is questionable)? Not likely.

While your explanation here makes sense and may prove to be true, it’s essentially just conjecture and guessing. 

It’s disappointing to me that the only guys we can get at WR fromt the portal are FSU leftovers coming off of major surgery, and an unproven guy with questionable moral character going through serious legal troubles (suspended for failed drug test at least once, and under criminal investigation for assault/battery and robbery). 

There were dozens of quality guys available that are equally ore more talented, more proven, more of what we need, younger, and/or less injured/troubled than what we supposedly have coming. We’ve been a top 15 team over the last two years, and we desperately need a deep threat… best we can do is a guy with a 10 yd per catch average.

tanute3
                  Ute Fan
                  @tanute3

Take a breath Chiingiskhaan, you’ll be okay. You being proven right or wrong here isn’t as important as you think it is

1 6

chinngiskhaan
                    Ute Fan
                    @chinngiskhaan

Oh, I’m totally fine. Just trying my best to drum up conversation. I’m not attacking anyone. I’m not making things personal. I’m just asking for proof if it’s out there.

9 1

Anfernee
          Ute Fan
          @anfernee

*chinngiskhaan yells at cloud*

//r00t4Utes
          Ute Fan
          @r00t4utes

Think he’s supposed to be a punt returner, so not sure Solomon Enis is a good comparison

But I get the general attitude of pessimism at the WR position given the history of inconsistent production from that position.

But I’ll never begrudge adding talent that the coaches believe could help. I also keep forgetting the xfer WR from Indiana that will be here in the summer.

3 3

chinngiskhaan
            Ute Fan
            @chinngiskhaan

I was thinking of his blocking ability when comparing him to Solo… and the fact that he’s not a proven #1 option. Obviously they aren’t similar in build or athleticism, but none of that matters if they only get a target or two a game.

Roy Rangum
              Ute Fan
              @royrangum

Chinngiskhan: I love the debate and you have good points. But no need to endlessly post “prove me wrong”, particularly after Tony set out ground rules recently asking people not to do that. Make your point in a single post or two, and move on if people don’t agree with you. Truth is none of us know and we are all just guessing. But as you mentioned before, as OnlyU is high on this guy, that’s reason enough for me to be on board.

2 6

chinngiskhaan
                Ute Fan
                @chinngiskhaan

I’m just trying to get people to actually respond instead of simply downvoting like they normally do. Seems to be effective enough. I fail to see how inviting (demanding) discussion is breaking any ground rules. The only thing I saw was stuff about making things personal, which I have never done. I’m not insulting anyone, I’m not talking about anything irrelevant, and I’m inviting people to provide evidence to their claims that I’m wrong.

Am I going overboard? Sure… but I feel like if I don’t then people just downvote and move on.

ProudUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @proudute

Chinn, I am not sure why you are getting so many downvotes.  I assume it has more to do with your past posts and your tone.  The points you make about Pittman are legit.  He has never proved to be a top WR.  Anyone who honestly looks at his stats would question his ability to be WR1 on this team.

That being said, I do trust OnlyU.  He has some insights that the rest of us do not have.  So, I guess I am hoping that OnlyU is right.

Also, coach Whitt said he wanted 2-3 WRs from the portal.  I suspect more are coming.  Getting Pittman is a good thing.  Now, let’s get another guy or two.

chinngiskhaan
                    Ute Fan
                    @chinngiskhaan

Haha, thanks I guess? The downvotes don’t bother me, the lack of intelligent debate (that is replaced by downvoting) does though. TO BE CLEAR I’m not saying the responses here were not intelligent. I’m not referring to this thread at all. This conversation has been mostly fair, and overall enjoyable.

In most of my posts, I just get downvotes and little to no responses that address anything I say… so this time I decided to make a scene and demand responses to the issues I raised. A few of you have taken time to address those points, others have not.

I don’t come here for validation. I come here for conversation. I am happy to admit I’m wrong. I know very little about football. Never played an organized game at any level. I care enough to look at raw stats, but not much beyond that.

RedRocks
                      Ute Fan
                      @hypodactylus

If intelligent debate is your goal, I think you need to change your approach.

While some of your points are valid, you present them in a very aggressive manner.  Most of us understand that it is pointless to debate with someone who is entrenched in their views, since it just becomes arguing.

This is apparent in your posts when you say you are happy to admit you are wrong, but post a million times about how you are not wrong.

This particular topic seems like a strange hill to die on. Nobody can provide you with ‘hard facts’ as to how well Pittman will play at Utah, because he has not yet played for Utah. There was simply excitement at his prospects, then you tried (and, I guess, succeeded) to turn it into an argument.

Onlyu
                        Ute Fan
                        @uf8fl

I’m not going to amend my statement but there is the health concern so from that perspective he might not end up surpassing Vele in the first spot.

That said, just about every WR he was competing with at Oregon and FSU were highly recruited 4 star guys…they have plenty of “real” options that are probably more athletic than anyone in our room currently so saying he wasn’t the top WR at Oregon or at Florida St doesn’t diminish his skill and ability if healthy. He has WR1 potential. Oregon recruits in the top 10 every year…FSU is close so the depth of talent he’s working against is a legitimate factor. In other words it’s a lot more difficult to be the one there than it is here at that specific position.

Now our recruiting is on a 5 year upswing so maybe in a few more years we won’t be having this type of conversation. One other thing…this player was essentially brought in because of his relationship with Cam. There is a connection there and it’s similar to the connection Cam had with Kuithe prior to the injury. It’s human nature to look to for someone you know and trust…not saying he doesn’t have that with all of the receivers but I’d be lying if I didn’t say it was different with some than others.
                        To take it further, I honestly think that if Brant remained healthy Dalton probably wouldn’t have gotten enough touches to be a first rounder. Who knows what would have happened had he not gotten that chance to shine.

Anyway, Pittman and Simmons are two really good fits for what we’re lacking…now we move to the next 1-2 guys that complete the room.

3 2

chinngiskhaan
                        Ute Fan
                        @chinngiskhaan

Thanks for elaborating. I think the fact that he has a great relationship with Cam is compelling. Cam has shown that he throws to the guys he trusts (to the almost near complete exclusion of throwing to anyone else). Running out of trusted targets really hurt us toward the end of last year. Hopefully, this guy makes a full recovery and contributes like you think he will.

Stone
                        Ute Fan
                        @stone

I love Cam. But if there is one thing that he can improve on to make him nearly unstoppable, it would Cam’s tendency to look almost exclusively for a particular target. I agree with the assessment that Kuithe’s injury was critical to Kinkaid’s success and draft. My concern is that Kinkaid had the skills to do that all along, but would not have been able to showcase them because of Cam’s preference to throw to a particular receiver (sometimes regardless of coverage).

It is certainly not an easy skill (only the best QBs can do it well), but if Cam can improve his ability to check through his reads, his game will be incredible.  

1 5

chinngiskhaan
                        Ute Fan
                        @chinngiskhaan

Nobody has proven me wrong (but Onlyu makes as good a case as you probably can).

I was wrong about FSU being bad – I admitted that. I’ve been wrong lots of times and admitted it lots of times.

I have not been proven wrong about Mycah’s ability. Several people have presented arguments, some of them incomplete or just bad. Many of them are very well-reasoned. We’ll see who is right at the end of the upcoming season (or the one after that I suppose).

D T
                        Ute Fan
                        @azute1

Nobody has proven you wrong? WTF?

chinngiskhaan
                        Ute Fan
                        @chinngiskhaan

Did you read the whole post? Do you know what proven means? A few of you have made great points, I’m not taking away from that, but that doesn’t prove me wrong.

If my position is that he isn’t a WR1, and you can’t point to anything that says he actually is a WR1 (not potentially will be or could be, but in actuality IS a WR1) then you haven’t proven me wrong.

It’s really not a difficult concept, I’m not sure why you are having trouble with it. Or maybe you are just attempting to mischaracterize what I said in an attempt to make yourself look better/make me look worse?

Ute2
                        Ute Fan
                        @ute2

Can all just agree that if we’re making onlyu double down on something… we’re doing it wrong??

RedRocks
                        Ute Fan
                        @hypodactylus

Wow. Did you not read any of the replies? The problem is not your opinion. The problem is your delivery. Just STOP. You are making yourself look foolish.

“NoBoDy HaS pRoVeD mE WrOnG” sounds a lot like a little kid who just has to have the last word at any cost.

chinngiskhaan
                        Ute Fan
                        @chinngiskhaan

1. I already admitted that my delivery is inflammatory, and was done so intentionally to invite actual replies instead of just the usual downvotes.

2. It is true that nobody has provided factual evidence that I am, as a matter of fact, wrong.

3. several posters, most notably Onlyu, have made many good points that are at least as valid as my concerns. Nevertheless, those points do not prove me wrong. It is entirely possible that I am wrong, and that is okay.

4. When Pittman is WR1 for the Utes I will happily admit that I have been proven wrong.

UteBacker
                      Ute Fan
                      @utebacker

I do appreciate your posts, Chinngiskhaan.  You spark some good conversations.

There are times when you remind me of when I’d bring home my report card with six A’s and an A- and my dad wanted to dwell on that A-…  

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football New Wr Commit!